Carry in TX

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Qfac

Carry in TX

Post by Qfac »

When will the OHio CHL we valid in TX, I had read that it was a done deal but it is still not showing on the web sites.

Ron
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Carry in TX

Post by JustaShooter »

Unless Ohio actually signed a reciprocal agreement with Texas, it won't happen until January of next year when they are required by law to review other state carry laws for compliance with their rules.

Either way, it will only apply to licenses issued or renewed on or after March 23 of this year when we started performing NICS checks for the CHL background check.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BobK

Post by BobK »

I spoke to the Ohio Attorney General's office again today. They still do not have the signed copies back from Texas. He said it will be posted as soon as Ohio receives the signed reciprocity agreement.

Meanwhile, I do not not recommend carrying in Texas under the authority of an Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun. The Texas DPS Reciprocity web page still lists Ohio as "No Agreement".
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BobK wrote:I spoke to the Ohio Attorney General's office again today. They still do not have the signed copies back from Texas. He said it will be posted as soon as Ohio receives the signed reciprocity agreement.
Paperwork going by Pony Express, Bob?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

I was traveling for work today through PA and thought Id stop by Crawford County courthouse to get my PA license. Mostly for TX.....well it was only $20
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Texas and Ohio, as of yesterday, April 28, 2015, now have reciprocity - for CHLs issued after March 23, 2015.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/le ... /index.htm#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

BB62 wrote:Texas and Ohio, as of yesterday, April 28, 2015, now have reciprocity - for CHLs issued after March 23, 2015.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/le ... /index.htm#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not to nitpick but the date restriction only applies to the Ohio CHL. A person with a Texas CHL may carry in Ohio regardless of when that CHL was issued. This actually matters for my dad because he is still waiting on his Ohio renewal to be approved. He waited so long that his 30 day grace period is up. However, he has a Texas CHL so he may now carry in Ohio again while that gets sorted out since we are have a full reciprocity rather than just recognition.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Brian D. wrote:
BobK wrote:I spoke to the Ohio Attorney General's office again today. They still do not have the signed copies back from Texas. He said it will be posted as soon as Ohio receives the signed reciprocity agreement.
Paperwork going by Pony Express, Bob?
I noticed Mike DeWine signed it on 04/28. . . I also noticed it is posted on the Texas DPS website, but it is not posted on the Ohio Attorney General website (yet). :lol: :P
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Well there went $20 dollars.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
BobK

Post by BobK »

ScottyPotty wrote:Well there went $20 dollars.
Unless your Ohio license was issued or renewed after March 23, 2015, it is still not valid in Texas.

So that $20 may be useful if you want to carry in Texas.

ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

BobK wrote:
ScottyPotty wrote:Well there went $20 dollars.
Unless your Ohio license was issued or renewed after March 23, 2015, it is still not valid in Texas.

So that $20 may be useful if you want to carry in Texas.
Nope I just renewed April 10th 8)