woman fatally shoots self in eye while adjusting holster

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

woman fatally shoots self in eye while adjusting holster

Post by Bruenor »

Never be complacent about the safety rules..

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/ind ... rself.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A woman who accidentally shot herself in the eye on New Years Day at her Lake Michigan home was adjusting the handgun in her bra holster, police say.
"She was having trouble adjusting her bra holster, couldn't get it to fit the way she wanted it to. She was looking down at it and accidentally discharged the weapon," said St. Joseph Public Safety Director Mark Clapp.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Curzyk

Re: woman fatally shoots self in eye while adjusting holster

Post by Curzyk »

The comments are fairly typical.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Thinking of that area of the anatomy, I've known of women who could poke your eye out, but this is the first time of heard of shooting one's eye out. :lol:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'm still trying to figure out how the bra holster was ever a good idea. Now, someone (preferably female but I'm sure Carmen will chime in anyways) explain this to me.... I thought the purpose of a bra was to hold things up. Wouldn't adding a holster and a gun there take things back down? Obviously there are straps and such there but it would wear those straps out much faster.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how the bra holster was ever a good idea. Now, someone (preferably female but I'm sure Carmen will chime in anyways) explain this to me.... I thought the purpose of a bra was to hold things up. Wouldn't adding a holster and a gun there take things back down? Obviously there are straps and such there but it would wear those straps out much faster.
Apparently you have never seen a bra for an extra-large-breasted woman. You don't have gun belts that sturdy.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Werz wrote:Apparently you have never seen a bra for an extra-large-breasted woman. You don't have gun belts that sturdy.
Or wallets or cell phone cases for that matter! :D
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

All I can say about this w/o reading the story is the women must be a real boob.... :)

Of all the places to wear a gun why she chose that way is crazy...I believe she most likely didn't pull the trigger with her finger ...it must of been either the left or the right thing on the end of a baby bottle..looking thingie..

Or she might have been fooling around with her boy friend....or....I'm out of or's...

Like I said, did not read the story....is she Okay ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Like I said, did not read the story....is she Okay ?
What does the word "fatally" mean to you, Carmen? Is that the name of a city in your ancestral land of Italy by any chance? :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Thanks Brian for your kind statement.....and correcting it for me....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

This was likely a flashbang brand holster. They are fairly popular with women. My wife tried one but didn't care for it.
She carries on her ankle most of the time. She cuts hair, and while working she has found that is the easiest access for her.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

carmen fovozzo wrote: Of all the places to wear a gun why she chose that way is crazy...
Unfortunately the realities of concealed carry for women can be much more difficult than for men, unless women are willing to dress more like men but many aren't. Wider hips combined with women's fashions can make both inside the waist and pocket carry very uncomfortable and impractical (Have you seen the tiny pockets in women's pants?). Many women either don't wear belts or the belts are for looks only and would never hold up anything like a gun.

The one piece of a woman's outfit that is built to take the added weight and has recesses that can easily conceal a handgun is the bra and it appears to be an increasingly popular way some women carry, especially with tight fitting clothing like the yoga pants I see that are so popular today.

Most bra holsters I've seen are designed to hold the muzzle to one side or the other, not pointing up where the head is in line. My guess is she wasn't being careful of the direction of the gun when she was fighting with the gun/holster.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Klingon00 wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote: Of all the places to wear a gun why she chose that way is crazy...
Unfortunately the realities of concealed carry for women can be much more difficult than for men, unless women are willing to dress more like men but many aren't. Wider hips combined with women's fashions can make both inside the waist and pocket carry very uncomfortable and impractical (Have you seen the tiny pockets in women's pants?). Many women either don't wear belts or the belts are for looks only and would never hold up anything like a gun.

The one piece of a woman's outfit that is built to take the added weight and has recesses that can easily conceal a handgun is the bra and it appears to be an increasingly popular way some women carry, especially with tight fitting clothing like the yoga pants I see that are so popular today.

Most bra holsters I've seen are designed to hold the muzzle to one side or the other, not pointing up where the head is in line. My guess is she wasn't being careful of the direction of the gun when she was fighting with the gun/holster.
This is definitely the down side to concealed carry. Typically, you are pointing the muzzle at something you don't want to shoot. Especially those men among us who appendix carry :shock:
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

The interesting thing is that reputable "bra holsters" specifically do NOT point the muzzle at the user's head.

From the muzzle orientation of reputable "bra holsters," I'd well wager that for those of us who absolutely cannot get over Rule 2 even when the gun is holstered that this method of carry endangers less vital body parts than appendix/inguinal carry.

From the report, this woman was actually peering down the muzzle of her weapon when the negligent discharge occurred. I propose that there's something more wrong here than how that woman chose to carry her defensive firearm.

[ On a personal note, I'm about two of these http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/201 ... /23565411/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; away from being able to bra-carry a full-sized pistol. ]
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Damn. It is going to be a long weekend waiting for Monday to arrive. :twisted:
TSiWRX wrote:[ On a personal note, I'm about two of these http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/201 ... /23565411/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; away from being able to bra-carry a full-sized pistol. ]
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

WY_Not wrote:Damn. It is going to be a long weekend waiting for Monday to arrive. :twisted:
TSiWRX wrote:[ On a personal note, I'm about two of these http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/201 ... /23565411/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; away from being able to bra-carry a full-sized pistol. ]
How many pigs must die for the American dream to become a reality?
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe