Depression

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

zurfaces

Depression

Post by zurfaces »

I already have my CHL and I'm not due for a renewal yet but I have a question.

My SO and I are going to go to relationship counseling. We are just trying to work things out no violence involved we're not addicted to drugs or alcohol. My main concern though is the fact that I have suffered from life long depression since my teens. I was in counseling as a teen for self harm and depression. I was never on any medications by my own choice. I talked through it and I haven't had a big problem with depression until now. I'm not suicidal or anything like that I just get so depressed my body aches and I can't function. Our relationship issues is exacerbating this issue. So it needs to be brought up during our relationship counseling.

I'm probably unnecessarily worried about it but will this cause any problems with my CHL or gun ownership im the future?

I've read a bit about the mental competency section and I think I'm good since I'm not going to need to be institutionalized and I'm not causing myself any harm. I've never had any problems with the law and so on. I just want some reassurance lol.

Do you or someone you know got to counseling for depression and have firearms? Havr they had any problems?

I'm NOT going to tell them I have guns if they ask and my SO won't either.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Depression

Post by carmen fovozzo »

IMO by posting this info on here they may have the answers if they need them.....

Ask a lawyer.....

Good luck to you and stay safe....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Tayllen

Re: Depression

Post by Tayllen »

While I am neither a doctor nor a lawyer, if you currently have issues with depression, or in the extreme you're in a any form of counseling - I would strongly suggest you not get a CCW.

I don't know you personally so don't read into this post. i had a friend that was suffering from depression. She put on her "happy face" during the day and would cry and think of her late husband. Where and how she got a hold of a shotgun is beyond me, but the end of life was quickly met.

Take care of yourself, your family and your issues. Carrying shouldn't even be part of your equation. you have more important things to consider.
+--==--+
Ruger SR9C/CT Grip Laser, Ruger SR40, Beretta [Italia] 92FS, Marlin 60 22LR