2014 Tony Gordon Memorial Award

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

2014 Tony Gordon Memorial Award

Post by schmieg »

The Tony Gordon Memorial Award was created in honor of Ohio resident James Anthony "Tony" Gordon. Tony gave his life at the age of 27 to protect his then 13 year-old nephew during an attempted car jacking in Dayton in August of 2003. Despite being mortally wounded, Tony was able to get his nephew safely home before succumbing to his injuries.

Rather than blame the gun the killer used for this tragedy, Tony's family was determined to ensure future carjacking victims had an alternative to driving away and could defend themselves with a firearm if they chose. They worked to help get concealed carry reform passed in Ohio; even attending one of the many open-carry self defense walks held prior to passage of HB12.

In 2004, at the first annual Party in the Park picnic, OFCC presented Tony's family with the Tony Gordon Memorial Award. This award is presented annually to an individual who goes above and beyond while working to further gun rights in the State of Ohio.

This award is given annually to a deserving person who has performed exceptional work to promote, support, or expand gun rights in Ohio.

Recipients
2004 - The Gordon Family
2005 - John Benner
2006 - Jim Aslanides
2007 - Daniel White
2008 - Steve Buehrer
2009 - Chris Harben
2010 - Nikki Goeser
2011 - Danny Buhp
2012 - Cliff Rosenberger
2013 - Gary Witt

We are now soliciting nominations for this year's Award. Nominations should be entered in this thread and will remain opne until July 6.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: 2014 Tony Gordon Memorial Award

Post by Chuck »

Nobody wants to make a nomination?
I'll throw a couple names out to be considered

My first nominee is Brett Pucillo, founder and president of Ohio Carry.
His group has had more events, walks, and interactions with LEOs and the public in a respectful and meaningful manner than anybody else in the last twelve months. He is thoughtful and well spoken, and is often portrayed as a spokesman for cause
Ohio Carry stands with us in our fight, providing manpower for events like our advocacy day at the Statehouse, AND they are addressing the concerns currently in the news about long guns. When Bloomberg's Mad mayors brought the Sandy Hook parents to Columbus last summer, Ohio Carry counter rallied and out numbered them several times. Ohio Carry has emerged as the leader in sidewalk activism in this State.

My next nominee is werz. Well experienced in changing minds and influencing people, he takes a low key approach in providing proper guidance to those who are willing to accept his advice. His unique point of view was invaluable in convincing legislators of the unwanted consequences of some bills.
He also videos pro second amendment events in a classy and positive light.
https://www.youtube.com/user/werzwaldeau00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I choose BB62 for honorable mention for his historical! open carry walk on the University of Cincinnati. After years of sniping from the sidelines Jeff was finally able to actually host his own event. He didn't do such a great job talking to the media, telling them he was disappointed in the response it got, but the event was an historical! success and thus he deserves mention at least. Noting the way he puts the "I" in teamwork convinces me that we'll be hearing more from him in the future,,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I NOMINATE WERZ. HE BRINGS SO MUCH GOOD INFORMATION AND SOLID, WELL-REASONED OPINION, TO THIS FORUM.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I was waiting for others to chime in as it might kick-start my brain on this subject. Well, guess what? Chuck LaRosa hisself should be added to those nominees alreadsy mentioned.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I second that Brian....Chuck is dedicated.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
BobK

Post by BobK »

I vote for Chuck.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I declare myself ineligible, thank you though
Please select another,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

SHERMAN STATEMENT OR HOUSE RULES?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Chuck wrote:I declare myself ineligible, thank you though
Why?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

schmieg wrote:
Chuck wrote:I declare myself ineligible, thank you though
Why?
The Missus says I need to answer this
This hasn't been an award winning year for me. We haven't got the first legislation passed, and truthfully, things have come to a screeching stop with the OGA. Furthermore, my personal situation has changed and I will no longer be able to attend anything at the Statehouse for at least a year, and probably much longer.
So count me out,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote:The Missus says I need to answer this
This hasn't been an award winning year for me. We haven't got the first legislation passed, and truthfully, things have come to a screeching stop with the OGA. Furthermore, my personal situation has changed and I will no longer be able to attend anything at the Statehouse for at least a year, and probably much longer.
So count me out,,,,
All that said on your part, I still think you're well qualified to win the award based on what you've done up until now. Think of it as a (temporary) retirement gift from the organization. And, stop beating yourself up about not being able to make the OGA do anything at what all we normal people feel would be an acceptable speed. The forces of game-playing and time-wasting are strong there at the Galactic Empire...uh, Statehouse. Without having a full-time OFCC advocate who lives within a short walk of the capitol building, it's just dang hard to push the legislature forward any faster most of the time.

Guess what? I was going to send this to you via PM but to heck with the needless whispering; I'm backing you for this award and am proud to say so.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Brian D. wrote:
So count me out,,,,
All that said on your part, I still think you're well qualified to win the award based on what you've done up until now. Think of it as a (temporary) retirement gift from the organization. And, stop beating yourself up about not being able to make the OGA do anything at what all we normal people feel would be an acceptable speed. The forces of game-playing and time-wasting are strong there at the Galactic Empire...uh, Statehouse. Without having a full-time OFCC advocate who lives within a short walk of the capitol building, it's just dang hard to push the legislature forward any faster most of the time.

Guess what? I was going to send this to you via PM but to heck with the needless whispering; I'm backing you for this award and am proud to say so.
B- you speak words of wisdom. I have read Chuck's comments and have followed his lobbying efforts for some time. The "silly season" in Columbus starts about a year before the mids and about two years before the presidential elections.

Everyone in the OGA is concerned with keeping their jobs, working their way up the power structure, AND NOT STEPPING ON ANY OBVIOUS AND/OR HIDDEN LANDMINES, etc. Unless Chuck was spreading doctor lobby money, or lawyer lobby money, or banking lobby money, etc. lobbying for Ohio gun rights is just an uphill struggle. Frankly, we are fortunate to obtain what we have already won.

I hope Chuck changes his mind - I think he would be a viable candidate.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Tweed Ring wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
So count me out,,,,

B- you speak words of wisdom. I have read Chuck's comments and have followed his lobbying efforts for some time. The "silly season" in Columbus starts about a year before the mids and about two years before the presidential elections.

Everyone in the OGA is concerned with keeping their jobs, working their way up the power structure, AND NOT STEPPING ON ANY OBVIOUS AND/OR HIDDEN LANDMINES, etc. Unless Chuck was spreading doctor lobby money, or lawyer lobby money, or banking lobby money, etc. lobbying for Ohio gun rights is just an uphill struggle. Frankly, we are fortunate to obtain what we have already won.

I hope Chuck changes his mind - I think he would be a viable candidate.
Actually, Chuck won't make the final decision, so he's sort of stuck with the nomination.
-- Mike

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

I nominate MWSY for the 2014 Tony Gordon Memorial award.

He has been in the background for many years, working on getting government entities to come into compliance with OCR 9.68. He has quite a few accomplishments in this arena to his credit, including the city of Cincinnati.

Not once has he filed a lawsuit to make any of this happen - but rather through diligence and quite frankly becoming a thorn to the city leaders.

MWSY has also rallied the grassroots efforts to get more people involved in doing the research and contacting the municipalities with regard to 9.68 compliance.

Beyond his work in the 9.68 area, MWSY has always been a solid supporter of gun rights in Ohio. He attends numerous rallies and walks, and has been interviewed a few times by media. He has helped at gun shows throughout the state - all in an effort to spread the word about gun rights in Ohio.

For these reasons, I think he should be considered for the award this year.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Stryker74 wrote:I nominate MWSY for the 2014 Tony Gordon Memorial award.

He has been in the background for many years, working on getting government entities to come into compliance with OCR 9.68. He has quite a few accomplishments in this arena to his credit, including the city of Cincinnati.

Not once has he filed a lawsuit to make any of this happen - but rather through diligence and quite frankly becoming a thorn to the city leaders.

MWSY has also rallied the grassroots efforts to get more people involved in doing the research and contacting the municipalities with regard to 9.68 compliance.

Beyond his work in the 9.68 area, MWSY has always been a solid supporter of gun rights in Ohio. He attends numerous rallies and walks, and has been interviewed a few times by media. He has helped at gun shows throughout the state - all in an effort to spread the word about gun rights in Ohio.

For these reasons, I think he should be considered for the award this year.
^^THIS^^

MWSY is an EXCELLENT choice for the award
I have sat beside him at city council meetings and watched them {inappropriate language} and moan about following the law,
He leads a virtual army of grass roots activists who actually get things accomplished, and uses each success as a stepping stone for more success.
I say we give "Ohio friendliest compliance counselor" the Tony Gordon award this year
Ain't activism fun?