Small of Back Convert

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TKshooter

Small of Back Convert

Post by TKshooter »

Well I just recently changed my carry position to right behind the hip to small of back.

I usually carry in front of the hip about 10 o'clock (I'm a lefty). Carried that way for years.

I am a curvy women with hips, so I print like crazy. I've become used to my "sloppy" concealed carry- mostly relying on the fact that even if I am printing most people will either not notice or have no idea what it is.

But carrying on the hip and having hips- makes the gun stick out more than it should. I just figured this was my fate.

Then my husband made me a new holster and suggested I try it behind the hip instead of in front of it.

And wow! I am concealing better than I ever have. It's not even printing in most of my shirts. My hips are back to being just curvy hips rather than the left one being misshapen. lol.

I don't know why I was "against" small of back- but it is comfortable.

Apparently the "shelf" created by my rather curvy rear end creates the perfect hiding place for my gun.

Just wanted to share- I am happy that I tried something new and found a better way to conceal- now I feel more comfortable.

So lesson is- even if you have accepted a carry position- doesn't mean you can't try something new :mrgreen:
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Small of Back Convert

Post by carmen fovozzo »

SOB carry has it's advantages......but more disadvantages.

Sitting is a problem.....and the most important one is if you fall or you are pushed and land on your back you may get a spine enjury.....

Just my 2 cents....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Glad to hear it's working for you. However... (you knew there had to be a 'However...', right?) there is a potentially serious downside to small of back carry. It has often been reported that falling down on one's back with a gun there causes an increased risk of serious spinal injury.

Oh man, Carmen got here first...{In my Dennis the Menace voice}: "Hello, Mr. Fovozzo!"
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

I have heard the spine injury thing before- I think thats what made me never consider it.

However sitting- I find it to be very comfortable with the gun behind my hip. Even in my office chair right now, in the car when I drove here. I thought it would be uncomfortable but it isn't.
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

Brian D. wrote: It has often been reported that falling down on one's back with a gun there causes an increased risk of serious spinal injury.

Is the spine injury an issue if it is right behind the hip at 8 o'clock rather than 7 or 6 o'clock that would put it right over the spine?
-TK

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

So what are the odds of the person carrying SOB falling on their back hard enough to injure themselves?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:Glad to hear it's working for you. However... (you knew there had to be a 'However...', right?) there is a potentially serious downside to small of back carry. It has often been reported that falling down on one's back with a gun there causes an increased risk of serious spinal injury.

Oh man, Carmen got here first...{In my Dennis the Menace voice}: "Hello, Mr. Fovozzo!"
Mr. Fovozzo...don't for get it.....Dennis... :wink:
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

TKshooter wrote:
Brian D. wrote: It has often been reported that falling down on one's back with a gun there causes an increased risk of serious spinal injury.

Is the spine injury an issue if it is right behind the hip at 8 o'clock rather than 7 or 6 o'clock that would put it right over the spine?
Are you right handed ? 8 o'clock for a right hander won't work..
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

Lefty
-TK

Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

The other argument against it I've heard is that you are at a disadvantage should a bad guy come from behind and get his hand on the gun trying to take it from you. Watch your back.

For me as a man without hips, that's a real concern because concealment would be problematic when bending or reaching making it easier for BG to spot. That said, many women like to carry behind the hips I've noticed. Body shapes are different and make what works for one person may not work as well for others.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Cruiser wrote:So what are the odds of the person carrying SOB falling on their back hard enough to injure themselves?
Hard to quantify. Odds seem to go up noticeably when we have lousy cold snowy icy winters though.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Cruiser wrote:So what are the odds of the person carrying SOB falling on their back hard enough to injure themselves?
Before this past winter, I'd have said the chances were pretty low and I wouldn't worry too much about it. But then I took a step off my front porch after one of our "wintery mix" events not realizing the light dusting of snow covered a slick sheet of ice. My feet went out from under me with no warning and I went down, hard, on my front steps and one of the stone steps hit right across the back of my hips just below my belt.

I have never fallen so hard in my life and cannot remember anything nearly as painful as this was. This was the kind of fall that were I older, I'd have broken a hip - or worse, both hips. You do the math - I was never so thankful I carry strong side just forward of 3:00. I am convinced that I would have been seriously injured had I been carrying SOB.

I was always wary of SOB carry, both for the injury aspect as well as access while seated. But now, you'll never get me to do it, ever. Behind the hip, OK, maybe - but never SOB.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:
Hard to quantify. Odds seem to go up noticeably when we have lousy cold snowy icy winters though.
That's certainly the more practical thinking, but the other side of it is simply what's the odds of having to use one's gun in the first place?

The late Paul Gomez used to say that for the average law-abiding citizen in the continental US to need to resort to a firearm in a violent confrontation instantly puts that individual outside the statistical bell-curve: and that once you find yourself there, you're an n of 1, and anything goes.

To me, "the odds" isn't a valid argument.

What's valid, however, is our individual perception of those odds. :) It's up to the individual to weigh those odds. To me, there is no hard right or wrong, and I only ask that the individual weigh their options logically, and understand the concessions and compromises that any decision entails.

Specifically towards what Brian D. mentioned, I agree that our winters certainly can make it hard for us to stay upright sometimes. :oops: :lol: One can definitely, with that as a decision factor, say that they'll carry SOB in the summer months and move the gun when it gets cooler (particularly with more cover garment overlying the gun). If that's the case, then one will need to consider that they're looking at two distinctly different locations for their guns as the seasons change, and what's more, that not only is that a point of inconsistency that they'll really need to train towards, they've also further complicated the scenario in that as one moves from SOB to strong-side carry (or cross-draw) for the cooler months, there's also additional cover garment(s) to clear, too.
Klingon00 wrote:The other argument against it I've heard is that you are at a disadvantage should a bad guy come from behind and get his hand on the gun trying to take it from you. Watch your back.

And another is whether you can access the gun while you're on your back, on the ground.

There's a select group who will say that they carry a firearm because they can't be on the ground in a fight. Well, you know what, I bow to that group in that they not only can choose how the fight of their lives will go, but also to their skill in hand-to-hand fighting in that they can insure they don't go to the ground in a fight. :roll:

I apologize for being smart-alecky about that one, but honestly, have a training-partner sit or lay atop you and see if you can effect the draw from SOB or simply with the gun "clocked" farther towards your 6'o-clock. Again, we get to that question of "what are the odds," but on a very practical level, simply look at how Zimmerman was mounted.

Klingon00 wrote:
TKshooter wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:SOB carry has it's advantages......but more disadvantages.

Sitting is a problem.....

However sitting- I find it to be very comfortable with the gun behind my hip. Even in my office chair right now, in the car when I drove here. I thought it would be uncomfortable but it isn't.

Body shapes are different and make what works for one person may not work as well for others.

Yup. Different people are just different.

I know a guy who is a professional livery driver who carries SOB because he feels that it's the most comfortable position for him.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Alan...That's what I dislike about you...........your so practical and right most of the time.. :)
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Brian D. wrote:
Friend of mine was on duty and got physical. Suspect managed to make him fall on his back. He landed with his handcuff pouch positioned small of back. He's now on disability and has had two surgeries to try to repair.

I haven't learned from him at all. I carry 6oclock myself. No problems sitting in a car or anything.