new member fostoria oh

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ringmaster82

new member fostoria oh

Post by ringmaster82 »

hey everybody joined mainly to find out if i am legally allowed to carry my ccw handgun when i fish at our many reservoirs, but no one can give me a straight answer. I've called the police department, and they couldn't think of any way to find out. we have signs that state firearms are prohibited posted at the reservoirs but they are very old, over thirty years old i think. i tried to upload a picture of the sign but I'm not sure how. if someone knows if you can carry a firearm at reservoirs, our knows who i can call to find out that would be appreciated. :)
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: new member fostoria oh

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.
stringygerm

Post by stringygerm »

I am not a lawyer, but here is my take. If they are on private property or school property you can not carry there. If the land is owned by the City, County or State of Ohio those signs are not valid because they are in violation of O.R.C. 9.68 which basically states that local government agencies can not make a law about carrying guns (they can about discharging) that is more strict than state law. So if you have an Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun (OLCCH) you can carry concealed there. Without a OLCCH you can open carry there. There are restriction on carrying in buildings on government owned land but I don't think that applies here.

What did I miss or get wrong?
stringygerm

Post by stringygerm »

Looks like most are owned by the City of Fostoria. Not sure if this link will work but you can find parcel owners for Hancock County here: http://hancock.iviewauditor.com/Map.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Welcome!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Welcome, neighbor!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Webeable

Post by Webeable »

Hi was just by Fotown
Dozer1974

Post by Dozer1974 »

I was night fishing with my son at res 3 one night, I was carrying. An Officer pulled in and flashed me with his light. He then got out and approached me, said he was just checking to make sure I was actually fishing and not some kids messing around. I laughed and said I hadnt "messed around" at the reservoir in 25 yrs! Then I informed him that I was carrying, he asked where the firearm was, I told him it was in a behind the belt holster, he said thats fine, wished me good luck fishing and went on his way. I was curious about it too because it is posted no firearms. But like someone else stated those signs are very old and do not reflect changes made to state law. I wouldnt worry about it.
stringygerm

Post by stringygerm »

I would like to have read that you informed of carry status before responding about "fooling around", but glad all went well. Also, just because you are in the 'right' does not mean you could not be brought downtown by a LEO who thinks a sign is the law. Finally, the city could have laws on the books about 'park closes at dark', but sounds like that was not an issue. Just reminders about all the things we have to think about when out-and-about.
BobK

Post by BobK »

The other thing to be careful about is not carrying on Army Corps of Engineer lakes/land. Ohio law does not apply, that is federally forbidden.

Here is a list of locations in Ohio in the Huntington District: Ohio Lakes and Reservoirs

There are other districts with Ohio facilities. You'll need to search their site.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?