Cuyahoga County

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

KenB22

Cuyahoga County

Post by KenB22 »

I reside in western Cuyahoga County. My license is up for renewal. My license was issued by Geauga County as I had to be there for work for a couple weeks by the Sherriff's office. I'm liking the location and fact Cuyahoga County will mail me my license. What is the time frame now for getting licenses? I see there are posts in May 2013 it was only taking a couple weeks. Will there be any issues if my license was issued in Geauga County and the renewal is done in Cuyahoga? I don't really want to make 2 trips out to Geauga if I don't have to. Thanks.
rouger10

Re: Cuyahoga County

Post by rouger10 »

It may be a bit of a drive, bur I would advise that you stick with Geauga County !!!! I renued last april (2013) during the "scare" about pending gun legislation that never happened. There were a TON of first timers applying. Had to wait in line for 5 hours. But the turn around time was only a week.

I've heard no good stories about cuyahoga county. Maybe you'll get some on here. I would still go to Geauga.

Roger
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I did my 2nd. renewal last year with Cuyahoga..use to go the Summit county way......Very good at appointment time and wait time is also good...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
KenB22

Post by KenB22 »

If I go to Geauga County, don't I have to go back there to pick up the license? I live in western Cuyahoga county.

I figure that I can make the appointment for 60 days before my license expires and even if it takes that long, I'm still covered aren't I? I'm assuming they don't take and keep my current license when I go in to renew. Assuming I'm correct, I'm not sure I care if it takes a few weeks to get processed.

Am I missing something? It seems like a no-brainer to go to Cuyahoga County for renewal especially since they have appointments set every 15 minutes. They can't keep me waiting too long can they?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I'll choose Cuyahoga again because it's efficient....no waiting.....My appointment was at 9 and that is exactly when I was processed...
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

If it's convenient for you, then by all means give them a try. I have actually heard good things about Cuyahoga lately. I live about three blocks from the office in Cuyahoga, but went to Geauga, only because I waited to long before trying to make the appointment. Had I been on the ball, I would have probably used Cuyahoga myself.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
KenB22

Post by KenB22 »

I'll let everyone know. Can't begin process for another month or so. I'll post my results.
Going to go to either Meadville or Erie PA to renew the non-resident permit there at the same time.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I just renewed with Cuyahoga and had a great experience. I was seen about three minutes before my appointment because the previous guy finished early. I had everything in a big envelope ready to go. The appointment went something like this:

1. She asked if I had an appointment and I said yes and gave my name.
2. She greeted me politely by name and asked for my existing CHL and driver's license, and having verified them handed them both back.
3. She asked for my application. I screwed up in two spots - they wanted my full middle name instead of just my initial (though just the initial shows on the license) and I didn't write the state of birth, just the city (since it was here in Ohio). She handed it back to me and I fixed those two items. She also had me sign the application - I purposely did not because some sheriffs seem to be sticklers for signing it in their presence. She said it didn't matter to them.
4. She noted that my current address was different than what was on my old license. She asked if I had informed them. I said "yes" and that was that.
5. She asked for my cashier's check and handed me a receipt.
6. She handed me an envelope and had me write my address on it and affix the postage stamp I was told to bring.
7. Did the fingerprints - no issues getting the scanner to read them this time
8. Took my picture but did not have me do the electronic signature; they reused mine from 2009.
9. She then verbally asked me a few of the yes/no questions from the application (are you an alcoholic, under indictment, etc).
10. She wished me a wonderful day and I walked out seven minutes after I stepped up to the counter.

I found the experience to be friendly and efficient.

And now for the part everyone cares about - turnaround time:
Date Applied: 2/6/14 (Thurs)
Date Issued: 2/10/14 (according to my license)
Date Postmarked: 2/12/14
Date Received: 2/14/14

Eight days including the weekend and mail time.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Where did you go, to what office .
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Where did you go, to what office .
Snow Road in the Parma Auto Title Bureau.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Same here last year same results.....except I had everything filled out correctly. :P
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Same here last year same results.....except I had everything filled out correctly. :P
Neener neener.

I used my 2009 renewal as a starting point (I keep copies of everything). Back then they were happy to take my middle initial and just the city of birth. Guess I wasn't legal until this Monday!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Maybe she was lonely and wanted someone to talk to.... :wink:
mreising

Post by mreising »

The full middle name may be part of the Real ID stuff that the states are being forced to comply with. I suspect my next driver's license will be required to have a full middle name.

My wife always had her full middle (actually maiden) name on her driver's licenses ever since we were married 36 years ago in Missouri. They usually only put the middle initial on them but she got a judge acquaintance of ours to call the license bureau and convince them they could use a full middle name. It remained that way when we moved to MI and later to OH. I don't know if her CHL had the middle name or not, I never asked and I don't think I have it around anymore to check.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Well I hope they don't go to middle names....I never did like Seymour....