renewal stuff

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ktmrider

renewal stuff

Post by ktmrider »

Where has the past 5 years gone?

Jan2 my permit expired and luckily my buddy reminded me to check my expiration date. I live in Lorain County, but my CHL was issued in Huron County. Here are some of my findings I am passing along in hopes of answering questions for others.

I misplaced my certificate and was worried I would need it to renew.. NOPE they never asked for it. Either in person or on the LC Sheriff web site.

Being my original was in another county they basically do the new one from scratch including finger prints at the LC Sheriffs

They required a new photo, A selfie printed on plain white paper in color off my home computer was fine( shoot for 2x2 ish)

$50 money order only

Application with addresses all the way back to when you were 18 yrs old...... street, city, county was fine for the real old ones

had to make an appointment and I was out in 15min.

1 to 6 weeks wait

I asked about a grace period and was told....." I don't like the way the law was written, but I guess you have 30 days.Its up to you to risk if an officer feels the same way"

all in all a painless ordeal
ktmrider

Re: renewal stuff

Post by ktmrider »

Oh.... called at 9:00am, they had me in at noon the same day
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I didn't look forward to my renewal last year. My track record with my county sheriff wasn't too good, but I refused to visit a contagious county. Sheer bullheadedness on my part.

Initial application: 45 days exactly.

First renewal: 54 days and I made a number of contacts to no avail. Issue of my being out of the country, and their inability to find an Arab speaker to check on my time in the sandbox? Perhaps long memories of my managing a campaign which came very close to beating incumbent sheriff? Left a number of messages, never a call back.

Second renewal: 19 days. New person in place, very helpful, even made change for me.

I did send a nice note to the sheriff, remarking on all his improvements in the process, but never heard back from him. Most of my students who go there average about 10 days.

I knew better to mention the grace period to them; I didn't want to press my luck.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

They don't have to LIKE the law. They should only HAVE TO abide by it. No reason for them to ask for info all the way back to when you were 18;

(3) A renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section shall only require the licensee to list on the application form information and matters occurring since the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section. A sheriff conducting the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct the check only from the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section through the date of the renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section.

You do have a 30 day grace period, I can't find the ORC right now. I would suggest to find it and print it out, just in case.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Going to Geauga this morning to renew. First license was in Medina. When I called Geauga I was told since my first license was issued in another county, my renewal would be treated as a new app, and I would need to provide all addresses since I was eighteen, as well as my original training certificate. My license expired on the 5th, I had planned to renew it during the week of Christmas, since I was on vacation that week, but I didn't count on the office being closed then.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
jose45

Post by jose45 »

pirateguy191 wrote:They don't have to LIKE the law. They should only HAVE TO abide by it. No reason for them to ask for info all the way back to when you were 18;

(3) A renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section shall only require the licensee to list on the application form information and matters occurring since the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section. A sheriff conducting the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct the check only from the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section through the date of the renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section.

You do have a 30 day grace period, I can't find the ORC right now. I would suggest to find it and print it out, just in case.

ORC 2923.126a.Ask me how I know? I was told the same thing here in Geauga.And somebody here clued me in to the facts.Right PG, :D
I carried the pertinent ORC around in my wallet till I got the call.
"Lord, make me fast and accurate.Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine.Let not my last thought be "If I only had my gun"
And Lord,if today is truly the day that you call me home.Let Me Die In A Pile of Hot Empty Brass.- Patriots Prayer- III% NRA,OFCC
mreising

Post by mreising »

djmac1964 wrote:Going to Geauga this morning to renew. First license was in Medina. When I called Geauga I was told since my first license was issued in another county, my renewal would be treated as a new app, and I would need to provide all addresses since I was eighteen, as well as my original training certificate. My license expired on the 5th, I had planned to renew it during the week of Christmas, since I was on vacation that week, but I didn't count on the office being closed then.
The office was closed for the entire week?! What part of open for at least 15 hours a week does that fit into? And also, you are not applying for a new license, regardless of what they think so you only need to give them addresses for the last 5 years and your license, expired or renewed, is proof of your original competency certification. If they are treating it as a new application, then your original training certificate is expired as it is only good for 3 years from certificate to applying for an original license. I guess they probably want to have you take a new class also.

What can we do to keep these sheriff's offices from making their own rules as they go?
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

They are just following our Presidents example! Change the Law with Rules.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

djmac1964 wrote:Going to Geauga this morning to renew. First license was in Medina. When I called Geauga I was told since my first license was issued in another county, my renewal would be treated as a new app, and I would need to provide all addresses since I was eighteen, as well as my original training certificate. My license expired on the 5th, I had planned to renew it during the week of Christmas, since I was on vacation that week, but I didn't count on the office being closed then.
That's odd for Geauga County. They are generally good at what they do.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

The Buckeye State Sheriffs Association has a fine lobbyist. That's why.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

pirateguy191 wrote:
All went smooth, and they were very friendly, but they did require everything, as if it were a new issue. I was told it was because I was renewing in a different county than my original was issued in. In and out in 15 minutes, and was told it would take three days, to three weeks.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
BobK

Post by BobK »

djmac1964 wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:
All went smooth, and they were very friendly, but they did require everything, as if it were a new issue. I was told it was because I was renewing in a different county than my original was issued in. In and out in 15 minutes, and was told it would take three days, to three weeks.
Did they require new training?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

BobK wrote:Did they require new training?
No, just the original training certificate.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

ktmrider wrote: they basically do the new one from scratch including finger prints at the LC Sheriffs
Now you got me wondering. I renewed a couple years ago in the same county, and if my memory is correct, they re-fingerprinted me. I remember thinking that it was unnecessary since they took my fingerprints during my first application. Is it SOP to fingerprint the applicant at each renewal?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

They took new electronic finger prints on my second renewal in Mercer Co.
Abandon ye all HOPE!