Logan County wants a survey with Application

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

buckeyeguy142

Logan County wants a survey with Application

Post by buckeyeguy142 »

Just spoke to a student who advised me that he went to Logan County for his permit and they would not accept
the State Of Ohio Application, they wanted a application that they made filled out and you have to take a survey about the class. Survey was about class time, how many range hours, how many classroom hours and additional comments about your class and your instructors. First time I've heard of this and just wondering what their intentions are not accepting the State Of Ohio application and taking a survey concerning the class ?
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Logan County wants a survey with Application

Post by Stryker74 »

Well, they have some wiggle room - so long as they have all the pertinent info on the application.
ORC 2923.1210 - Application Form

The application for a concealed handgun license or for the renewal of a license of that nature that is to be used under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code shall conform substantially to the following forms:
That term substantially gives them the ability to vary some, such as to add a survey.

Technically, it does not seem that they are turning away applications, but are rather asking people to fill out their version - so I am not sure if there is anything that can be done.

They don't have a form posted on their website that I can find either...
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

The AG supplied application is correct. I would select an adjoining County to apply in and let Logan county know you're doing it and why.
Are they allowing you to not answer the survey?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Stryker74 wrote:Well, they have some wiggle room - so long as they have all the pertinent info on the application.
ORC 2923.1210 - Application Form

The application for a concealed handgun license or for the renewal of a license of that nature that is to be used under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code shall conform substantially to the following forms:
That term substantially gives them the ability to vary some, such as to add a survey.

Technically, it does not seem that they are turning away applications, but are rather asking people to fill out their version - so I am not sure if there is anything that can be done.

They don't have a form posted on their website that I can find either...
I don't think the Sheriff is the authority that gets to prescribe the form used, that is up to the AG through the OPOTC
109.731 Prescribed forms.

(A) The Ohio peace officer training commission shall prescribe, and shall make available to sheriffs, all of the following:

(1) An application form that is to be used under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code by a person who applies for a concealed handgun license and an application form that is to be used under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code by a person who applies for the renewal of a license of that nature, both of which shall conform substantially to the forms prescribed in section 2923.1210 of the Revised Code;
"that is to be used" does not provide much wiggle room. However as with the 45 day rule what is the penalty for non compliance on the Sheriff's part.

Participation in his survey is not a requirement listed under 2923.125 to qualify for a CHL. If he wants to investigate training courses and trainers it should not be done through a coercive survey thrust on applicants.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Many a form in my life has been filled with multiple "N/A" responses. Worst they can do is make me fill the form out again. Usually the people who forced the paperwork on me in the first place get the idea that I'm telling them "Nunyabizness" and move forward.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
buckeyeguy142

Post by buckeyeguy142 »

I will tell my students just to avoid Logan County, I don't think you can change the form, they told him to return the survey
when he picks up his permit. I told him to let me know what happens.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

buckeyeguy142 wrote:I will tell my students just to avoid Logan County, I don't think you can change the form, they told him to return the survey when he picks up his permit. I told him to let me know what happens.
Earlier it sounded like the survey was part of, or incorporated into the application? Now it sounds like the survey is turned in when he picks up the Permit/License? I am puzzled. :?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

That certainly changes it.

I cannot see where a sheriff could hold someone's license for not filling out the survey - so it sounds voluntary. If that is not the case, then this needs to be reported to the AG's office.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

buckeyeguy142 wrote:I will tell my students just to avoid Logan County, I don't think you can change the form, they told him to return the survey
when he picks up his permit. I told him to let me know what happens.
Do you tell your students it is a Permit or a License?
We all know what it says on the License!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
buckeyeguy142

Post by buckeyeguy142 »

Sorry, to clarify myself they do not accept the normal application found in the book,
they have their own and then they give you a survey and tell you to return it upon
picking up your license. They don't ask if you would fill out the survey they tell
you to return it before getting your license.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

buckeyeguy142 wrote:Sorry, to clarify myself they do not accept the normal application found in the book,
they have their own and then they give you a survey and tell you to return it upon
picking up your license. They don't ask if you would fill out the survey they tell
you to return it before getting your license.
They SHOULD accept the AG's application.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB