Mahoning County?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gonzo

Mahoning County?

Post by Gonzo »

Oops!!! My license expires next weekend and I haven't applied anywhere. Since I live in Mahoning County (never heard it to be friendly - 45 days) it seems I have the option of Columbiana, Trumbull, Portage or Stark Counties. I work in Hubbard and since I have to do this on a work-day I might be limited to Trumbull County, but Columbiana County is not out of the question if there are less hoops to jump through. Thing is my present license is from Mahoning County, but I can't imagine that would present any problems...or would it?

In addition, I understand that an "older" NRA Certification should be acceptable. Mine was issued 12 April 2004, over nine years ago...

IS there a problem switching counties, or is it treated simply as a renewal? I did read that Columbiana County is a three visit endeavor, and am concerned that this would be true for my renewal? How would Trumbull County be as an option?

You see my situation, and would sure appreciate any suggestions or if anyone had similar experiences. Yesterday I downloaded and completed the application from the Ohio Attorney General's office, left the date blank and marked it a renewal. I also made a good color copy of my Pistol Certificate (dated: 12 April 2004), and plan on taking the original in if it needs to be seen...

Now where to go?

Gonzo
SigArms P239-SAS .40 S&W/357 SIG, Sig Mosquito, Taurus 651 .357 Mag., Remington 700 in .308, Remington 870/12 & 1100/12, Marlin 25N .22LR, Barnett Quad-300, Pearson Buckmaster
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Re: Mahoning County?

Post by ATGglobal »

First of all I would suggest going to Columbiana County. They only accept applications between the hours of 9am and noon. Usually it's a week turnaround may be shorter for renewals. It may only take 2 different visits. Secondly you should be able to just show them your expiring license but if you want to take your certificate with you they would accept that as well. Good thing is you don't have to take a competency course now. Mahoning county sucks for concealed license regardless of new or renewal.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Your license will suffice.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Oh Boy...I should have looked up Columbiana & Trumbull County Sheriffs' web-site first. Both web-sites say that if your license is from another county you must submit an application for a NEW license, requiring an up to date training certificate. It looks like Mahoning County is my only option at this point, so I will likely be retireing my sidearm for a month and a half...

I had better pay closer attention to expiration dates it is in the future...

Gonzo
SigArms P239-SAS .40 S&W/357 SIG, Sig Mosquito, Taurus 651 .357 Mag., Remington 700 in .308, Remington 870/12 & 1100/12, Marlin 25N .22LR, Barnett Quad-300, Pearson Buckmaster

Post by ATGglobal »

Open carry for the time being.

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
BobK

Post by BobK »

Gonzo wrote:Oh Boy...I should have looked up Columbiana & Trumbull County Sheriffs' web-site first. Both web-sites say that if your license is from another county you must submit an application for a NEW license, requiring an up to date training certificate
Once again the Sheriff's are playing BS with R.C. 2923.125.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
ATGglobal

Post by ATGglobal »

Renewal Window:
ORC 2923.125(F) of the Ohio Revised Code, provides for the renewal of a CCW license 90 days prior to its expiration. A new application must be submitted along with a copy of the current CCW license. No photo is necessary. The Columbiana County Sheriff’s Office will not renew a license issued from another county. If you wish to renew in Columbiana County you must start as a new applicant and furnish all information required to complete the process.
BobK this is what the Columbiana Co. Sheriff's website states. After reading what the ORC states I see where this is an incorrect handling of renewals. I'm thinking I may get in touch with my Sheriff and ask him about this and let him know that his policy is wrong according to the ORC. Might get it changed might just get a tounge lashing and brush off.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BobK

Post by BobK »

ATGglobal wrote:
Renewal Window:
ORC 2923.125(F) of the Ohio Revised Code, provides for the renewal of a CCW license 90 days prior to its expiration.
Why don't you point out what (F) really states:
R.C. 2923.125(F) (1) A licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived .

(2) A sheriff shall accept a completed renewal application, the license renewal fee, and the information specified in division (F)(1) of this section at the times and in the manners described in division (I) of this section. Upon receipt of a completed renewal application, of certification that the applicant has reread the specified pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission, and of a license renewal fee unless the fee is waived, a sheriff, in the manner specified in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct or cause to be conducted the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code. The sheriff shall renew the license if the sheriff determines that the applicant continues to satisfy the requirements described in division (D)(1) of this section, except that the applicant is not required to meet the requirements of division (D)(1)(l) of this section. A renewed license shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A renewed license is subject to division (E) of this section and sections 2923.126 and 2923.128 of the Revised Code. A sheriff shall comply with divisions (D)(2) to (4) of this section when the circumstances described in those divisions apply to a requested license renewal. If a sheriff denies the renewal of a concealed handgun license, the applicant may appeal the denial, or challenge the criminal record check results that were the basis of the denial if applicable, in the same manner as specified in division (D)(2)(b) of this section and in section 2923.127 of the Revised Code, regarding the denial of a license under this section.

(3) A renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section shall only require the licensee to list on the application form information and matters occurring since the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section. A sheriff conducting the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct the check only from the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section through the date of the renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section.

(4) An applicant for a renewal concealed handgun license under this section shall submit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides a nonrefundable license fee as described in either of the following:

(a) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for five or more years, a fee of fifty dollars;

(b) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for less than five years, a fee of fifty dollars plus the actual cost of having a background check performed by the federal bureau of investigation.
Nowhere does it require the renewal of license happen in the county of original issuance. It simply describes the renewal of "a concealed license issued under this section". If the person has a validly concealed handgun license they wish to renew, it is quite clear they can apply in their home county or any adjacent counties.

Sheriff is WRONG.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Probably take me longer than 45 days to get either Columbiana or Trumbull County to change their mind or make an exception. There is one other issue that I haven't found an answer for, if I do not renew untill AFTER my license expires will that change anything?

Post by Gonzo »

Well my renewal is now in the hands of the Mahoning County Sheriff. I had no problems, and was in and out in 25 minutes. I went in yesterday, the day my license expired, and was not asked to present my competency certificate, submitting my renewal application and presenting my License to Carry, Driver License and my Social Security Card. Since I did not bring in a 2" x 2" Passport Photo, I added $10.00 to my Money Order (total of $60.00) and they took my picture there. Now I wait, but I will update this post to let you know how long it took...

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Hats off to the Mahoning County Sheriff's Department! I submitted my renewal application on Wednesday, had a voice mail at home yesterday that it was ready to pick up and picked it up today...

I said "I never heard it (Mahoning County) to be friendly"...well, I will take that back...

Less than 24 hours...AWESOME!!!

Gonzo

Post by CitizenTyrant »

Gonzo wrote:Hats off to the Mahoning County Sheriff's Department! I submitted my renewal application on Wednesday, had a voice mail at home yesterday that it was ready to pick up and picked it up today...

I said "I never heard it (Mahoning County) to be friendly"...well, I will take that back...

Less than 24 hours...AWESOME!!!

Gonzo
new sheriff in town, i did trumbull last time took 35 days, mine expires in 9 months or so, im going to mahoning, finally have my home county on my chl
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Hey CitizenTyrant, just make sure they don't treat your application as a "NEW" application since you are switching counties. Some of the replies to this post have said that they shouldn't do that, but it may be prudent to check first. I am "assuming" that that would require a "current" competency certificate. That said, if your certificate is current it would not matter. Good luck, and let us know how it goes...

Gonzo

Post by pirateguy191 »

ATGglobal wrote:
Renewal Window:
ORC 2923.125(F) of the Ohio Revised Code, provides for the renewal of a CCW license 90 days prior to its expiration. A new application must be submitted along with a copy of the current CCW license. No photo is necessary. The Columbiana County Sheriff’s Office will not renew a license issued from another county. If you wish to renew in Columbiana County you must start as a new applicant and furnish all information required to complete the process.
BobK this is what the Columbiana Co. Sheriff's website states. After reading what the ORC states I see where this is an incorrect handling of renewals. I'm thinking I may get in touch with my Sheriff and ask him about this and let him know that his policy is wrong according to the ORC. Might get it changed might just get a tounge lashing and brush off.
How did that go?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
CitizenTyrant

Post by CitizenTyrant »

i wish i could just renew now, but there that pesky 90 day nonsense...