Pet Peeve of a Grammar Nazi

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jakor

Re: Pet Peeve of a Grammar Nazi

Post by Jakor »

I teach English for a living and I LOVE this thread.

FWIW - I'm nutty about objective and subjective pronouns, I.e. "Me and him is going to the store."
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Jakor wrote:I teach English for a living and I LOVE this thread.

FWIW - I'm nutty about objective and subjective pronouns, I.e. "Me and him is going to the store."

U and Hoo ? :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Jakor wrote:FWIW - I'm nutty about objective and subjective pronouns, I.e. "Me and him is going to the store."
Did you mean e.g.?
HancockCountyHaL
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

What may appear to be grammatical errors in any of my posts are actually well placed anomalies designed to help certain readers in their understanding of my written thoughts. Sort of like the reason I talk real slow when in the company of certain people; so that they will better understand me.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
mreising

Post by mreising »

CroManGun wrote:Sort of like the reason I talk real slow when in the company of certain people; so that they will better understand me.
Like when you're around liberals?
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
High Power

Post by High Power »

mreising wrote:
CroManGun wrote:Sort of like the reason I talk real slow when in the company of certain people; so that they will better understand me.
Like when you're around liberals?
That's just baby talk!

Just to show that we Grammar Nazis can laugh at ourselves here is an entertaining video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:
Jakor wrote:FWIW - I'm nutty about objective and subjective pronouns, I.e. "Me and him is going to the store."
Did you mean e.g.?

I did. Wow. That's just humiliating given the topic at hand.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Latest NRA ILA release wrote:Our elected representatives in Congress must here from you if we are going to defeat this gun ban proposal.
<sigh>
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
BobK

Post by BobK »

jabeatty wrote:
Latest NRA ILA release wrote:Our elected representatives in Congress must here from you if we are going to defeat this gun ban proposal.
<sigh>
Their isn't two many people who wood even notise there misteak.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

BobK wrote:
jabeatty wrote:
<sigh>
Their isn't two many people who wood even notise there misteak.
Wear did yoo get youre spel chekker, boB??
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

CroManGun wrote:What may appear to be grammatical errors in any of my posts are actually well placed anomalies designed to help certain readers in their understanding of my written thoughts. Sort of like the reason I talk real slow when in the company of certain people; so that they will better understand me.
I know you cant read very fast, so I am typing this very slowly...
Poop!
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:
CroManGun wrote:What may appear to be grammatical errors in any of my posts are actually well placed anomalies designed to help certain readers in their understanding of my written thoughts. Sort of like the reason I talk real slow when in the company of certain people; so that they will better understand me.
I know you cant read very fast, so I am typing this very slowly...
You've got to type a little faster. You keep stalling out the keystroke counter that I'm monitoring on your computer. :wink:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
MacDaddyDC

Post by MacDaddyDC »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:
whitefeathersnpr wrote:Needs done... Needs warshed (intentionally misspelled)... Needs fed...
Shakespeare must be rolling over in his grave. To be or not to be. Come on Ohio, it is two simple words, lets not be that lazy.
While we are at it, an inanimate object does not need anything.
My gun needs cleaned, lest it wither to nothing due to corrosive ammo.
How about every server who insists on accosting one between bites by inquiring " how's everything tasting'?"
My usual answer (which mostly draws blank stares in return), "None of it can taste anymore, it's dead or should be to be on my plate."

Where have all the parents gone? Oh right, their busy being their kid's "friends." Bring back corporal punishment instead of ribbons and trophies for seventh place ....
To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

There are many men of principle in both parties in America, but there is no party of principle.
Alexis de Tocqueville
ArmyAndNavyVet

Post by ArmyAndNavyVet »

Let's take a look at your first paragraph:

To anyone who wishes to post their experiences about a CCW encounter. I would really like to read it. There is a pet peeve that I would like to point out before going any further. I’ve read too many accounts in the OC forum and this one as well of people that want to be taken seriously but don’t take the time to produce a message that can be read easily. If you want anyone to take you seriously please consider using paragraphs, proper punctuation and spelling.
UNQUOTE

SUGGESTED
To anyone who wishes to post their [his] experiences about a CCW encounter.[:] I would really like to read it. There is a pet peeve that I would like to point out before going any further [farther]. I’ve read too many accounts in the OC forum[,] and this one as well[,] of people that[who] want to be taken seriously[,] but[yet] don’t take the time to produce a message that can be read easily. If you want anyone to take you seriously[,] please consider using paragraphs, proper punctuation and spelling.
/SUGGESTED
The suggested changes above represent a very cursory read of your paragraph. If you want to be a "Grammar Nazi", learn better grammar first.

Just sayin'
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Viet Nam Combat Veteran, 1967-1968, I Corps (Army)
Beirut 1983 (Navy)
Lấy máu Nga Hoa mà hòa rượu đế
Lấy xác cộng xây cầu bên hải
Lấy râu cụ Hồ làm bàn chải đánh giầy
Chặt đầu việt cộng mà nấu canh chua
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

MacDaddyDC is our new Dr. Frankenstein...
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.