Jet Express and ferry to Put-in Bay

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Re: Jet Express and ferry to Put-in Bay

Post by FireEMSPolice »

triplej wrote:Well boys and girls here is a request of all that are interested in this situation.

Post the contact information for the PIBPD, VIllage Mayor/ Council of PIB, the ferry, the airplance that transports and yours truly will attempt to make contact and get them to respond in print, type, or writing.

If and when received, I shall do my best to post in quote, paraphrase, or 25 words or less, OK?

I have not been to PIB in years, and then it was long before Ohio had the CCW legal permit stuff, OK?

This way hopefully together we can get a clear understanding of the whole situation.
Put In Bay Police: http://www.put-in-baypolice.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Miller Boat Line: http://www.millerferry.com/about/contact/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jet Express: http://www.jet-express.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats the best I can do. The PD site has numbers for the Mayors court, etc.

I am actually going to Put In Bay tomorrow with my Fiancee with Miller Boat Lines.
fergferg

Post by fergferg »

I really have to know what happens when you get there. This is a very interesting story. I have not been to PIB since I got my license but I will be there this summer and honestly never thought about how I was going to get my gun to the island. Please post if someone has gone over on how and weather there was any backlash w/ the PIB PD. This is a very good thread.
triplej

Re: Alphabetical list of Acronyms

Post by triplej »

Wow..this is very helpful. Tx..

May I suggest in reference to the queries and posts ala how to get to and from Put In Bay, Ohio, and can we or not "carry" to or on, somone try and get a response from the USGG?

Do they not enforce ala upon Lake Erie?

Does any local law enforcement authorities in Ohio from where any plane, boat, transport may commence or terminate to and from PIB, Ohio, claim jurisdiction?

For example why not consult with the chief law enforcement officer in Ohio for the county involved..in this case The Ottawa County, Ohio, County Sheriff, Port Clinton, Ohio, because as I understand it PIB is georgraphically located within Ottawa COunty, Ohio.

I do believe a few of the other Ohio island(s) may be located wthin other Ohio counties so appropriate inquiry may be made of them.

May I suggest you direct and request your communication be directed to the County Sheriff of each said county, specificially.
'
And, in the interest of full disclosure, NO--I AM NOT A LAWYER. This is not legal advice. Just a friendly request, OK?
FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Post by FireEMSPolice »

This is what I gathered while I was there the other day.

I took the Miller Ferry Boat from Catawba. As you board, there are signs that say no weapons, etc. On the back of the ticket, they reserve the right to inspect your vehicle as federal regulations require them to. If you refuse, you will be denied boarding the boat. I didnt see them doing a single search. IANAL, but if you wanted to, maybe conceal it well in your vehicle if you choose to take it to the island.

If you do not bring a vehicle (which I didnt), unless you like walking, you will likely rent a golf cart, moped or bicycle. Neither of which have a place to store a firearm. I rented an electric golf cart.

Many, if not all, of the establishments serve alcohol so we are prohibted from carrying there any way. The winery's are out as well. So, all you are really left with is Perrys Cave, which I didnt see a GB sign at or some gift shops.

That all being said, I would find it more a hassle to carry on South Bass Island/Put-In-Bay. The hassle, for the most part, goes away once the alcohol restriction is lifted, if it ever is. Then you just have to worry about the boat ride over.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Isn't the dairy queen still there? They have burgers and fries. The State Park isn't off limits. I agree that considering that most people go there to drink and have a good time it may not be very practical, especially if you are with non-CHL's who want to hit the bars and restaurants. That said, part of me wants to do it just to stick it to the man. 8)

It would seem to me that on the ferry the prohibition is against loaded weapons, not, any weapons.
The British are going! The British are going!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

muxtech wrote:Isn't the dairy queen still there? They have burgers and fries. The State Park isn't off limits. I agree that considering that most people go there to drink and have a good time it may not be very practical, especially if you are with non-CHL's who want to hit the bars and restaurants. That said, part of me wants to do it just to stick it to the man. 8)

It would seem to me that on the ferry the prohibition is against loaded weapons, not, any weapons.
One word.....picnic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Post by FireEMSPolice »

muxtech wrote:Isn't the dairy queen still there? They have burgers and fries. The State Park isn't off limits. I agree that considering that most people go there to drink and have a good time it may not be very practical, especially if you are with non-CHL's who want to hit the bars and restaurants. That said, part of me wants to do it just to stick it to the man. 8)

Yes, its still there

DAIRY QUEEN BRAZIER
213 BAYVIEW AVE
PUT IN BAY, OH 43456
419-285-3361
FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Post by FireEMSPolice »

TripleJ, how goes the contacting of officials up there?
FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Post by FireEMSPolice »

I guess its not going at all since nothing was posted.
jdmsds

Post by jdmsds »

IMO, the Jet Express can kiss my butt..... $18 one way is ridiculous :shock:

The Miller Ferry is $6.50 each way and this is what their website says:

Q: Are permitted weapons allowed to be carried onboard?
A: No concealed weapons are allowed on Miller Boat Line vessels. Permitted weapons carried in a vehicle, luggage or on a person; must have ammunition separated from the weapon or the weapon must have a trigger lock mechanism in place. This policy will respect your right of a permit and allow for safe transit under the guidelines of the Maritime Security Regulations.

EDIT i noticed this info was already mentioned in this thread :oops:
JSLACK7851

Post by JSLACK7851 »

jdmsds wrote:safe transit under the guidelines of the Maritime Security Regulations.
I've been a 25 ton licensed master (captain) for 20 years (retired) I may be wrong, (things change), but, under Ohio law, Vessel is the same as vehicle. A hand gun under international law is / can be considered a distress signal. The United States has to abide by this law.

More than likely thats just a fancy group of words made up by the boat lines to sound serious and official. Doing their best to keep handguns off (their) island. The same was true for motorcycles for many years. The thought of scary drunken bikers finally gave way to greed in order to make the extra bucks. Most of the Islanders go to Florida right after they sign up for unemployment at the end of the season.

I've been through the maritime regs up one side and down the other, even caught the Coast Guard making mistakes. I've never heard of that. Title 46 USC, check it.

OBTW, what ever you pay for a ferry ride, Its still cheaper than having your own boat.
WHU 680, Clear
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Citizen of Ohio, United States of America
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Anyone know the firearms policy of this ferry line?

Kelleys Island Ferry Boat Line http://www.kelleysislandferry.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CableGuy

Post by CableGuy »

Fire Ems pretty welll summed it up......

Just got back from a weekend adventure up there camped out in the state park, no search's of the vehicles , they were way to busy, and yes the whole island seems to be one big DRINKING Zone...lol You can pour your favorite adult beverage into a plastic cup and walk about, long as it's not in a original labeled container they seem to just let you be. Sat night the main drag was packed with golf carts, and people and 18 Police Officers for the one sq mile area. Here is a thing to ponder the golf carts are all Liscened Plated registered vehicles, I could just imagine a DUI OVI Checkpoint, ROFLOL. Other thing I didn't see was the GB signs. On the Perry Monument Visitors center they did have a sign about the new law that goes into effect regarding carry in parks, going into effect in 2010, should have taken a phone cam picture.
We Went to Kelly's Island Sunday for a lap. Didn't take it with but could have carried CONCEALED with out notice all the time, but since we were there to party it got unloaded and loacked into it's container, but also was hot as heck too, would have made it a little challenge but, still think no one would have noticed. For the Trip home I opened carry, but discreetly used a UC Jersey to somewhat cover, on the boat back, struck up a conversation with a armed courier, he open carries his "work" gun all the time, discreet golf shirt and kahki's makes him not look like a armed courier probably a smart bussiness decision, said no one ever thinks twice but he does the trips daily so a regular. Being this is a PARTY PLACE, I Had a good time and felt safe, People just wanna have fun and relax, low crime risk.

The biggest threat up there was the spiders, mosquito's and racoon's. LOL

PEACE
Joe
Favorite recent Quote:
"As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun – and I've said it before and I'll say it again – they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Interesting discussion. I had thought about wanting to go camping on one of the islands up there, but with all this hassle, I no longer have any interest. Besides, nobody is going to search our motorhome without a valid search warrant.

This discussion of Federal laws does make me wonder about going across the Ohio river on one of the ferry boats ;-)

Ken
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

OhioPaints wrote:Interesting discussion. I had thought about wanting to go camping on one of the islands up there, but with all this hassle, I no longer have any interest. Besides, nobody is going to search our motorhome without a valid search warrant.

This discussion of Federal laws does make me wonder about going across the Ohio river on one of the ferry boats ;-)

Ken
I think a lot of that is smoke. However, I do know that the Belle of Louisville and Spirit of Jefferson out of Louisville tell you that Homeland Security Regs prohibit carrying on their boats. I don't know, but I wouldn't want to be thrown off the boat in the middle of the river.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand