An Appleseed Primer for Newbies: What to Bring and Expect

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Scavok

Staple Gun and Staples (to hang targets)

Post by Scavok »

The OP mention bringing a staple gun and staples (to hang targets).

Do it!

I did.

And I had four other shooters using it on the first day! :x

Now do you want to guess what transpired on the second day?

Yup; same guys show up sans staple gun and staples. :evil:

Bring your own staple gun and staples.

Seriously.

P.S. Remember to bring a box of staples.

P.S.S. Remember to bring your own staple gun.
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: An Appleseed Primer for Newbies: What to Bring and Expect

Post by Jake »

Would clamps be suitable?

That way, no one will bogart my stapler! :P
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Jake wrote:Would clamps be suitable?

That way, no one will bogart my stapler! :P
Cheapskate! The answer is no, bring the stapler.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I just re-read this thread.
It's spot on!

I opted to use my Savage bolt action .22 w/scope on day 1.
Day 2, I used my RRA .223 NMA4. I was highly pleased with the results.

I'm wearing my bruises (right elbow and both shoulders) as badges of honor! :wink:

I really had a great experience at Minerva this weekend in large part to what has been posted in this thread.

Thanks to all the contributors.

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

My new loopsling seems to be giving me a haddock.

The clasp that crimps down doesn't want to stay secured when pressure / tension hits it.

HELP!

techres

Post by techres »

Jake wrote:My new loopsling seems to be giving me a haddock.

The clasp that crimps down doesn't want to stay secured when pressure / tension hits it.

HELP!
Are you locking it all the way down until the whole arm rests against the sling? If you leave it slighly unlocked it can come free under enough tension. Also, do you have a cotton websling or a nylon websling?
The last to wake up will be the first to go back to sleep...

NRA Member
Appleseed Rifleman & Instructor
Husband & Father of Three
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

techres wrote:

HELP!
Are you locking it all the way down until the whole arm rests against the sling? If you leave it slighly unlocked it can come free under enough tension. Also, do you have a cotton websling or a nylon websling?
Definitely locking it down all the way.
I think that it's cotton. It's black in color and still fairly stiff-like. I may have to defer that question to one of my partners in crime who also picked one up at Camp Perry the same day I did..

techres

Post by techres »

Jake wrote:
techres wrote:

HELP!
Definitely locking it down all the way.
I think that it's cotton. It's black in color and still fairly stiff-like. I may have to defer that question to one of my partners in crime who also picked one up at Camp Perry the same day I did..
Probably the cotton kind. The problem is that the pressure is not great enough between the clasp and the buckle behind it. I would love to see it to see if you are missing something, but if it is just a manufacture mistake I would crumple the buckle side a bit with a ball peen hammer (just a dent or so) and see if I could create enough tension.

If it is instead popping free and just won't stay buckled, you may be out of luck.

You gonna be at Gibsonburg on the 22-23 weekend? I would love to see it and get it working for you!
The last to wake up will be the first to go back to sleep...

NRA Member
Appleseed Rifleman & Instructor
Husband & Father of Three
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I'll have to try the hammer trick. It wants to stay closed and does have alot of pressure that it's applying, but...

Perhaps my muscles are just too big? :oops:
The sling is supposed to be pretty tight, correct?

I'm not going to be attending that AS you mentioned. I'd love to, but my vacation days are spoken for, for the rest of the year. :?

Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: An Appleseed Primer for Newbies: What to Bring and Expec

Post by Jake »

With so many AS shoots this weekend, it seems appropriate to bump this.

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Jake wrote:With so many AS shoots this weekend, it seems appropriate to bump this.
Actually, seems appropriate to "sticky" it...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

''Wow, I just now read this thread. Always wonderd what was involved in AS. Sounds like a lot of fun and a great learning 2 days. Also sounds like a lot of energy expended.
....Wish I could attend one, but if I did I thing my next stop would be Ferfolio's Funeral Home. Man I'm getting old and short winded....Have fun guys.... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Thanks, guys...I'm still getting PMs about this thread, even to today.

I’d suggest that all OFCC people who attend Appleseed think of that experience as a time to recruit for OFCC. Appleseed- since it is focused on long guns and marksmanship- and OFCC- since it is focused on handguns and CC- are very complimentary organizations and attract the same sort of people…hence, a great cross-recruiting opportunity for both organizations.

Certainly, we see Appleseed recruiting here on the OFCC board. And I’ve recruited for OFCC at Appleseed events, as have others. It helps to wear OFCC garb, if you have it, or to locate and shoot with other OFCC people…lunch time is the best time to spread the gospel according to OFCC. In the initial safety briefing question period, you might even put up your hand and ask if any OFCC people are attending, so you can all identify yourselves.

We need to all work together in the protection of the 2A.

Here’s a picture of a few OFCC people at one, early Appleseed…we were almost half the firing line:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
McM

Post by McM »

Mr. Glock wrote:
Here’s a picture of a few OFCC people at one, early Appleseed…we were almost half the firing line:
Over half the OFCCers in that picture were at the Campbell event today. (RIP Jesse).

(Two thirds if you count the weight Morne lost).
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

I’d suggest that all OFCC people who attend Appleseed think of that experience as a time to recruit for OFCC. Appleseed- since it is focused on long guns and marksmanship- and OFCC- since it is focused on handguns and CC- are very complimentary organizations and attract the same sort of people
I'd like to WHOLEHEARTEDLY encourage everyone to do that! Appleseed and OFCC definitely have a great working relationship and I'm very thankful for that.

I think Appleseed is perfect for many great organizations - OFCC, NRA, Tea Parties, and any other "active" group you can think of.

I have seen firsthand many "new" people come to Appleseeds not having any idea what it means to be an American. They don't know their history and are too busy watching American Idol to ever think about reading the news and emailing their Congressman. Their Appleseed experience makes a light bulb go off in their head and they begin to understand what it means to live in a free society where We the People truly have the power... not the folks in Columbus or DC.

Appleseed wakes people up and then we direct them to great groups like OFCC and others that help them organize and get active.

Appleseed convinces people of the "why it is needed" and OFCC tells people the "how and when". I'd venture a guess all of us on these forums are already staunch 2A supporters and probably think and vote the "correct" way. :) Appleseed brings new people into the fight.

Definitely a mutually beneficial relationship.

My thoughts on the subject anyway.

If you want to see more pics and read the experience of people in OH at their Appleseeds, you can go here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12698.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine