Maryland - DC - Can I carry there?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ryuzwajr

Maryland - DC - Can I carry there?

Post by ryuzwajr »

Hello all.

I have my Ohio, PA, and NH permit but I am taking a family vacation to Maryland and DC in april.

Seems like my 3 permit will not let me carry there.

How do I?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

[Moved to a more appropriate forum - JK]
[Title edited to be more descriptive - JK]
jabeatty

Re: Maryland - DC

Post by jabeatty »

ryuzwajr wrote:How do I?
You become a law enforcement officer...

Maryland is may-issue; you won't get a permit, unless you can prove you have a valid reason to be armed. For a private citizen (non business owner, former LEO, security guard, etc.) to get a handgun permit, "There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses."

Maryland does not honor any out-of-state licenses or permits.

Those not endowed by their Creator with extra-special rights can't carry in DC.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
ryuzwajr

Re: Maryland - DC - Can I carry there?

Post by ryuzwajr »

Thanks for the quick info and it confirms what I thought.

May have to talk the wife into a new location.

Be safe and thanks

Bob
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Stay in gun friendly Virginia.

OBTW - don't even get caught with a gun in your car in DC.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
1350cfm

Post by 1350cfm »

AlanM wrote:
I hold mine out the window when I drive through DC :mrgreen:
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

1350cfm wrote:
AlanM wrote:
I hold mine out the window when I drive through DC :mrgreen:
Let me rephrase that. ................. Oh, never mind. :roll:
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
iceollie12

Post by iceollie12 »

The gun laws in DC and Maryland really get my blood boiling. I'm originally from Maryland, and I went to high school in the district. While I was a sophomore, myself and three others were held up at gunpoint 20 feet from campus (in DC). Another time, my mom came home to a robbery in progress (I was away in college when that happened) - luckily the guy in the getaway car radioed the hood in the back who was in the process of climbing through the window (same window he had just launched a brick through), and they took off without harming anybody. My parents don't like guns (though they don't care if others own them and are generally highly conservative), but I can't believe they don't own a gun after that experience. After hearing about that one, I promised myself that I would have something with which to protect my family in the future.

The legislature and mayor in DC are highly anti-gun. Ever since they lost the Supreme Court ruling, they've been looking for ways around it, like registration that is so tedious that its almost not worth buying the gun. They looked at limits, storage of ammunition and guns together, all kinds of crazy stuff which I'm sure others on these boards can provide more detail on. They're trying anything they can to get around the ruling to re-enact a ban. Luckily, the NRA headquarters is a mere 10-15 miles outside DC...on the Virginia side!

I won't ever move back there because the crime is ridiculous, I can't protect myself thanks to the bonehead laws and the density of anti-gunners, and I'd undoubtedly lose in a court of law if I blasted somebody who broke into my home and tried to hurt me.

I don't want to discourage anybody who wants to go to DC for tourism. The downtown monument areas and all that are pretty safe. It's quite a scene, you'll see camouflage boats on the Potomac, and helicopters constantly flying over the city. Rest assured that if you walk near the White House, somebody is looking at you through a scope with an M24 attached to it ;)
NRA Life Member
OFCC Member
Member, Fairfield Sportsmen's Association

"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved." - Confucius
ghostcycle

Post by ghostcycle »

For you and your family's safety it is in your best interests to locate outside of Maryland and DC. It really is a shame the politicians choose to bury their heads in the sand and ignore the facts the gun bans are not working. These are some of the most gun restricted areas in the US and the crime rate is outrageous. Just living proof that you can fool some of the people some of the time and politicians won't quit trying until they are either booted out of office or have fooled everyone. When guns and ammo are banned only politicians and criminals will have them. Here we have politicians protected by bodyguards and LEOs who wouldn't dream of being unprotected telling you and your family that basically you are at the mercy of criminals who wil not obey the law. They would protect the 5th amendment rights of felons rather than allow you to protect you and yours against the felons.
God created man, but Sam Colt made them equal!