Application Picture Tip:

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I took my own to Defiance county, the Sarge who does the CHL stuff INSISTED I go get passport photo's.

Once again they make up their own rules, a home printed photo is good enough for ATF but not Defiance County Ohio :-)

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Bill:

How the heck can the Sarge tell?

Other than the size, and a relatively blank background, I could take a picture of you that would look just like the one my buddy took of me, and he's really a passport photographer.

(And, of course, I can adjust the size, and the background color to make it "legal"....)

OTOH, if you're outside playing with the dog, or something like that, it'd be fairly obvious....

IAC, given that the photo you submit is not "official", it shouldn't matter as long as it's recognizable. The only downside is that they can't use it in a "lineup" or "photo spread" as easily as the standard passport size & style.

"In Plain Sight" all over again.... But this is an easy one.

My problem with using a CHL as an ID is that it's really only a "Sheriff's Department" ID, and may not really be valid in another county. More likely, though, is that it's not going to really be valid in another state. 'Course, who knows what the folks looking at it will really think....

Drivers Licenses are a little too easy to get, although they've gotten fairly difficult to fake, but those who care have books to refer to - at least they can tell that the ID was issued wherever it says it was.... Not so with the CHL....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

willbird wrote:I took my own to Defiance county, the Sarge who does the CHL stuff INSISTED I go get passport photo's.

Once again they make up their own rules, a home printed photo is good enough for ATF but not Defiance County Ohio :-)

Bill

No Doubt

After digging a little the AG pamphlet says
The law requires that a color photo (front view, head and shoulders,
substantially similar to a 2-inch-by-2inch passport photo) taken within
30 days of the application date accompany the completed application
and references R.C. 2923.125(B)(2) which only states
(2) A color photograph of the applicant that was taken within thirty days prior to the date of the application;
Looks like the specs for the picture listed in the pamphlet, other than the color and time frame, are not "required by law" as stated. Does anyone know where this specs might have come from? Pulled from some deep dark crevice perhaps. I think I will contact the AG's office and find out.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

cashman:

I'd guess that the need for a picture had some logic to it (for once I doubt it was included to increase the PITA level), and the AG's suggestion to use a passport photo ("similar to....") makes some sense when you consider that they're easily available, or at least the spec is....

(Some spec - 2" square and color :).)

Saying "passport photo" also implies the plain background, which is significant in photo "line ups" used in LE. (The background is a distraction, and can influence choices.)

I'd guess that the folks who drew up the law figured that the Sheriff would pass the pictures around looking for "comments". After all, Toby Hoover said that nobody would bother applying anyway, so there'd be a lot of time to do it....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Bill:

How the heck can the Sarge tell?
He can tell if it is printed on plain paper, and especially if it is actually 2" x 2" exactly, that is a tad bigger than a true "passport photo". Once again it is time to grovel and do the simplest thing and run over to Rite Aid and get some passport photo's, the time to argue is not when your CHL application is on his desk.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

When I applied for my CHL in 84 I had Walgrens make several copies. I'm useing the same picture I got 4 years ago. I'm just as pretty now as I was then. :wink:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

carmen fovozzo wrote:When I applied for my CHL in 84 I had Walgrens make several copies. I'm useing the same picture I got 4 years ago. I'm just as pretty now as I was then. :wink:
I want whatever you are drinking! :) You are useing a 24 year old picture! :shock:
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Cruiser wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:When I applied for my CHL in 84 I had Walgrens make several copies. I'm useing the same picture I got 4 years ago. I'm just as pretty now as I was then. :wink:
I want whatever you are drinking! :) You are useing a 24 year old picture! :shock:
DUH, I did mean 2004. :oops:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Carmen:

I wasn't here, and I didn't say this, but I was considering reusing the old pic, too....

I have one "original" (it was shot on Polaroid film as four headshots from one exposure), and scanned it for additional prints for PA and NH. I'll be 62 shortly, and just haven't changed to speak of, although I did get a little wider :(....

Or Joe and I will just take each other's picture with my little digital (I didn't have it then, or didn't think of it) and I'll crop & print 'em here. My cheap inkjet does excellent color prints on the right paper.

It may help if I can find a spare flash for "slave" purposes - two light sources make a better portrait, but I don't think anybody'll care. Might just use the "leaky" bounce light technique, where some light is diverted forward anyway. It helps to have white ceilings, though, if you're going to do that....

(I used to claim "advanced amateur" status in photography. Which meant that I had a mountain of equipment and some idea what to do with it. Turned out to be a better technician than artist. When we moved here in 1989 I never set the darkroom back up, and ended up giving my daughter's girlfriend most of it a couple years ago. She fizzled out, but her little sister's using the stuff. I wonder if I gave her the Crown Graphic? Lousy snapshot camera, but it made great negatives :).)

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I actually used one of those little sit-down photo booths at the mall for my picture taking. Think it was $3 for four poses, and you had time to make adjustments on-screen each time before the pic was taken.

Used the first three for strictly-bizness shots that would pass the sheriff's muster, then put on my hat and posed with a cigar for the last one. (Yes it occured to me to pose with my handgun drawn for that fourth picture, but the booth was out in the middle of the mall's aisle. :wink: )
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.