Application Picture Tip:

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

hkuspclem40

Application Picture Tip:

Post by hkuspclem40 »

First, a quick history.....Around this time four years ago, I was working on getting everything together to submit my CHL application. I wanted to have an actual passport photo and not a picture I took with my digital camera and printed off on my home printer. I ended up stopping at a J.C. Penny Portrait Studio that did passport photos. Big mistake. A bunch of young families made up of crying kids and stressed-out parents there for Easter portraits. It was a loooong wait.

Fast forward to present day. I'm in the same situation, however, I came across a web site that really helped out. www.epassportphoto.com It's free. It allowed me to upload a picture that I took of myself with my digital camera, walked you through a few quick steps, and allowed me to save the new picture on my desktop with six images of me. I then visited Walgreens (or CVS) on-line photo website, uploaded it and had them make me a 4x6 print which contained (6) 2x2 images of me. Was ready in less than 30 minutes and cost me .19 cents.

The great thing is, now I'll have a few extra photos for my PA and NH renewals and they look better than anything i could do at home.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I'm just going to take a digital pic at home because Montgomery County uses their own.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

BEAR! wrote:I'm just going to take a digital pic at home because Montgomery County uses their own.
Clermont took the onces I made for the file, then took a digital one with their equipment for the licence last year. I guess they are still doing this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
mreising

Post by mreising »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
BEAR! wrote:I'm just going to take a digital pic at home because Montgomery County uses their own.
Clermont took the onces I made for the file, then took a digital one with their equipment for the licence last year. I guess they are still doing this?
Yes
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
A cruce salus

Post by A cruce salus »

Great tip. I love free!!

If you go to Lake County you do not have to bring a photo. They take one when you fill out the application and do not care that you didn't bring your own.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse … for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

A cruce salus wrote:Great tip. I love free!!

If you go to Lake County you do not have to bring a photo. They take one when you fill out the application and do not care that you didn't bring your own.
Like I have said on other posts. The Sheriff's make their own rules as they go. :shock: :? :cry:
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

Cruiser wrote:

Like I have said on other posts. The Sheriff's make their own rules as they go. :shock: :? :cry:
As long as they require less and not more I won't complain. Actually I don't think they are changing the rules just doing some of the work for you.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

calvin56 wrote:
Cruiser wrote:

As long as they require less and not more I won't complain. Actually I don't think they are changing the rules just doing some of the work for you.
But yet we have to toe the law with few exceptions! We do not have the liberty of of not following the law as it is written.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

I took my own picture and used photo shop to adjust the picture to look more like me.

But the wife thought I looked more like this.

I can't show you the picture the sheriff used...
Last edited by color of law on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
2Fast4You

Post by 2Fast4You »

Just go to walgreens and let them take this pic of you. Takes 10 min tops

Bill
We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless."
hkuspclem40

Post by hkuspclem40 »

2Fast4You wrote:Just go to walgreens and let them take this pic of you. Takes 10 min tops

Bill
It would take me 10 minutes alone to convince the kid behind the counter that they REALLY do take passport photos, cost me more, and not get as many pics if I tried to have them do it. :)
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Cruiser wrote:

Though I agree with you many of the times you state this, I don't understand how this is an example of the sheriff making up their own rules. I can't find anywhere in the ORC that says the Sheriff can't provide the required photo for your application. In fact in the AG's CCW pamphlet the following advise is offered on page 10
Before providing your own photo, verify whether the sheriff will take photos for you.
Now if the Sheriff refused to accept a photo the applicant provided that meets the specifications and then charged for the one he takes that would be an example of making there own rules.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
BuckMark38

Post by BuckMark38 »

i just took a pic with my cell phone went into wallgreens put my memory card in and printed the wallet size which is 3x2 and you get four of them. lot better than paying 8.00 bucks, and if you really want the 2x2 then shave a little of each side. :wink:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

I Don't call 911, I call 1911
Scruit

Post by Scruit »

Got my pics from walmart. Knew they wouldn't use them on the license.

If you wanna know about PITA govt photos - try taking the old-style INS photos "3/4 front view with ear showing" or whatever the rule was. Photos got rejected all the time, and most places wouldn't take them in case they got rejected. Even places that DID take them (usually professional studios) usually had you sign a waiver saying it wasn't their fault if the pics werem rejected). They finally dropped the requirement when I became a citizen (and didn't need INS photos any more!)
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I think I'm just going to photoshop the pic from 2004 :D.... Change the shirt color or something.... A buddy of mine took that one, but he's runs a camera shop, and sells 'em, along with luggage.... Cost me at least $10.... OTOH, it doesn't look too bad :).... (I used to spend a good chunk of my paycheck there before I got married, but the only thing I ever got from him that was free was a couple rolls of film. Nice guy, though....)

It appears that the picture required for the application is just to be sure that whoever eventually shows up for the final processing and photo is the person who dropped off the paperwork. I expect it may also be used locally during the background check.

Some SO's will help out with a picture, and some won't. Nothing too unusual about that....

Locally, way back when, YPD required a photo for Special Officers when they were commissioned. All kinds of crazy requirements, but in the end, the Crime Lab had a Polaroid.... (Try to find film for roll-film Polaroids now.... Or even the "pack" stuff....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם