Another no-knock raid kills innocent man

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Another no-knock raid kills innocent man

Post by bignflnut »

Gun Owners of America awaits an investigation into this very troubling episode in Minnesota where Amir Locke – a gun owner with no publicly known criminal history or formal accusations of any crime – was killed by Minneapolis police.

For years, GOA has been concerned about how “no-knock” warrants threaten the safety of innocent Americans and law-abiding gun owners. For this reason, GOA filed an amicus brief in Quinn v. Texas, where an innocent father was also killed in a “no-knock” raid by police.

The only justification for the no-knock raid in Quinn v. Texas was that John Quinn owned a firearm.
The police claimed that firearms ownership was enough to present a danger to law enforcement, even though they knew Quinn had a concealed carry permit — meaning the state of Texas had pronounced him to be a safe, law-abiding citizen.

GOA is not a police reform organization. However, when police actions conflict with Second Amendment rights, GOA will not hesitate to insert ourselves in the public policy debate. This is why we are speaking out today and why we have concerns about the situation in Minnesota.

Amir Locke’s family confirms he had a permit to carry a gun for self-defense at his delivery job. While the video does appear to show he had a firearm in hand, that is not an unwarranted action on someone’s part when they’re woken up in the middle of the night to loud shouting. Not to mention the fact that we have seen other cases where home invaders pose as police to get the upper hand on their intended victims.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Re: Another no-knock raid kills innocent man

Post by M-Quigley »

I saw the video of the entry team on CBS and on the audio they were all shouting seemingly different words and not in unison. It was extremely difficult for me to understand what they were shouting with different people shouting different things all at the same time and I was awake, so I can imagine what the guy in bed thought he heard or didn't understand. They should've had the lead guy talking to the guy and the rest of them should've shut up, IMO. Not saying that's the only thing they did wrong, or that a no knock entry was warranted, just commenting on that one thing I saw and heard.
docachna

Post by docachna »

M-Quigley wrote:I saw the video of the entry team on CBS and on the audio they were all shouting seemingly different words and not in unison. It was extremely difficult for me to understand what they were shouting with different people shouting different things all at the same time and I was awake, so I can imagine what the guy in bed thought he heard or didn't understand. They should've had the lead guy talking to the guy and the rest of them should've shut up, IMO. Not saying that's the only thing they did wrong, or that a no knock entry was warranted, just commenting on that one thing I saw and heard.
It was a VERY messy entry, and from the video, which I've watched repeatedly, I can't say the guy was unjustified in pulling his weapon. Not at all sure it's reasonable to assume that he instantly knew they were LEO in the midst of such chaos.

I fear this one won't end well for them.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

One city attempting to address no knocks. hopefully it spreads

https://apnews.com/article/amir-locke-m ... 270305d989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey on Monday announced a new policy for search warrants following the police shooting of a Black man in a downtown apartment, with officers required to knock and wait a certain length of time before entering a residence.

Police would have to wait 20 seconds before entering a residence while serving a daytime warrant, and 30 seconds for nighttime searches. No-knock warrants would be banned except in the most extreme circumstances, such as a hostage situation.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson