Car Carry with out a CCW

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Timmy44221

Car Carry with out a CCW

Post by Timmy44221 »

I have been unable to find the Ohio law that requires you to carry a gun unloaded, in a seperate compatment yadda yadda. I know many other states allow a loaded gun in the car with no permits or anything.
Buckshot

Re: Car Carry with out a CCW

Post by Buckshot »

Timmy44221 wrote:I have been unable to find the Ohio law that requires you to carry a gun unloaded, in a seperate compatment yadda yadda. I know many other states allow a loaded gun in the car with no permits or anything.
Parts of it have been quoted here more than once. You might find them on a search.

It is actually law or regulations pertaining to hunting, that is where all of the firearm vehicular laws, EXCEPT for those generated by CCW actually are.

Buckshot
Splat!!

Post by Splat!! »

Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA
from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm
under certain conditions, notwithstanding State or local law to the contrary.
The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a
trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and
destination.
[18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38]
Now I could be wrong but all the heresay we have all heard pertains to federal law on interstate transport...........Ohio law makes no mention of seperate boxes, locks ,
Quote:
Sec. 2923.16. (A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded, and is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment which that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) In plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(D)(1) This section does not apply to officers, agents, or employees of this or any other state or the United States, or to law enforcement officers, when authorized to carry or have loaded or accessible firearms in motor vehicles, and acting within the scope of their duties.

Explain section B above in bold ..............If loaded firearm can't be carried in vehicle at all then that section would not have been included, because it is covered in later Section C Line 2..............* Buckshot CHL does not cover long guns........I don't know about hunting because the hunting regs say it is a no no..........

Below is from hunting and trapping book..............

Quote:
2923.16 and 1547.69 ORC No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded, and is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment which can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) In plain sight with the action open or the firearm stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

As used in this section, “unloaded” means, with respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, that the firearm is uncapped, or that the priming charge is removed from the pan.

The above sections also apply to watercraft, except while LAWFULLY engaged in hunting
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Not picking on you Timmy but the way some questions get asked around here I would swear that some folks (that I have repeatedly see ask the same questions) just like to see the same questions answered over and over and over again and again.

kinda gets a bit boring when someone tries to lighten up the atmosphere
with the same questions just about every other week or month.

But therm again like Timmy a newbe here needs to ask the important questions.

CARRY ON PVT. TIMMY
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
TBD

Post by TBD »

Jronjakoh wrote:Not picking on you Timmy but the way some questions get asked around here I would swear that some folks (that I have repeatedly see ask the same questions) just like to see the same questions answered over and over and over again and again.

kinda gets a bit boring when someone tries to lighten up the atmosphere
with the same questions just about every other week or month.

But therm again like Timmy a newbe here needs to ask the important questions.

CARRY ON PVT. TIMMY
Being the only dedicated OHIO CCW forum we should be happy to answer the same questions for noobs. How are they to learn if we don't help? When I first started on forums I had no idea what the "search function" was, let alone how to use it. Even now some forums searchs don't work, or don't work well.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."
-- Richard Henry Lee, 1787
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I agree with TBD. Probably why some went elsewhere! After all we all seem to be pretty normal and not out to shake up the world or at least Ohio. And We are the "face" of CCW in Ohio.
Last edited by Cruiser on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timmy44221

Post by Timmy44221 »

I am aware of the search function, but they tend not to work well. I was looking for a link the the specific law, but I see someone pasted it. I agree that serch functions are great, but they often bring up alot of irrelivent items, or nothing at all. Heck some sites (not this one) people always complain that people dont use the search function, but the forum is setup so that when it is buisy, it shuts down that function.

For those who dint like answering what may be simple questions to some, why not help make a page that sumarzes these things. A how to carry in your car with and withought a licence page would be helpfull.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Timmy44221 wrote: For those who dint like answering what may be simple questions to some, why not help make a page that sumarzes these things. A how to carry in your car with and withought a licence page would be helpfull.
Timmy,

You will find that information on the OhioCCW Main Website Here.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.