Justice Alito - 2A being treated as a second class right

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Justice Alito - 2A being treated as a second class right

Post by Bruenor »

Address by Justice Samuel Alito [2020 NLC Live]

2A comments start around 00:40:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYLZL4G ... .be&t=2438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Justice Alito - 2A being treated as a second class right

Post by WhyNot »

WHAT ARE THEY going to do, if they decide to ''pack the court.'' But the existing court says, that's not Constitutional?

See his comments starting at around 43:50

''let's go back to some basics...'' 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote:WHAT ARE THEY going to do, if they decide to ''pack the court.'' But the existing court says, that's not Constitutional?

Hypothetical question, lets say the Dems steal, I mean win both Senate runoff races in Jan. and control the Senate. If they want to pack the court merely for political purposes, could someone or some group say that is illegal and file suit, and have the existing court rule in favor of them, effectively blocking new Justices merely for political influence purposes? If it's supposedly unconstitutional that is.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Yes that ^^ is an expansion on my thought in my post
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Seems the ''thems'' , which strangely 8) rhymes with Dems, are wanting to 'limit' the courts. Specifically the SCOTUS (well...U have to start SOMEWHERE)

Just down the lane of this discussion

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/hr-842 ... d-21867735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:
WhyNot wrote:WHAT ARE THEY going to do, if they decide to ''pack the court.'' But the existing court says, that's not Constitutional?

Hypothetical question, lets say the Dems steal, I mean win both Senate runoff races in Jan. and control the Senate. If they want to pack the court merely for political purposes, could someone or some group say that is illegal and file suit, and have the existing court rule in favor of them, effectively blocking new Justices merely for political influence purposes? If it's supposedly unconstitutional that is.
I don't see how - the current makeup of SCOTUS with 9 justices is set by law, not by the CONUS (which is silent on the makeup of SCOTUS). So if Congress passes a law expanding the court and the president signs it, I don't see where the constitutional challenge would come from.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Some Highlights from video

https://reason.com/2020/11/13/alito-rig ... eme-court/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In an eyebrow-raising 2019 brief, five Democratic senators warned that the Supreme Court might have to be "restructured" if it failed to reach the conclusion they preferred in a Second Amendment case.
The case involved New York City's uniquely onerous restrictions on the transportation of firearms, and the senators—Sheldon Whitehouse (D–R.I.), Mazie Hirono (D–Hawaii), Richard Blumenthal (D–Conn.), Dick Durbin (D–Ill.), and Kirsten Gillibrand (D–N.Y.)—wanted the justices to decide (as they ultimately did) that mid-litigation revisions to those rules made the case moot. But instead of simply presenting legal arguments in favor of that outcome, Whitehouse et al. launched an attack on the Court's integrity, accusing the justices of perverting the law to protect "interests important to the big funders, corporate influencers, and political base of the Republican Party." The evidence they presented consisted of cases in which the Court had reached conclusions they did not like.

"The Supreme Court is not well," the senators concluded. "And the people know it. Perhaps the Court can heal itself before the public demands it be 'restructured in order to reduce the influence of politics.' Particularly on the urgent issue of gun control, a nation desperately needs it to heal."

Alito said he was concerned about the appearance created by that threat. "After receiving this warning," he said, "the Court did exactly what the city and the senators wanted. It held that the case was moot, and it said nothing about the Second Amendment. Three of us protested, but to no avail.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson