I can no longer buy a firearm from an FFL

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

I can no longer buy a firearm from an FFL

Post by Brian D. »

My birthday was a week ago, and my driver's license renewal was due. Ohio closed all the BMV offices except for five, about ten days earlier. (And they're processing anything but CDLs.So, the stores tell me that the BATFE doesn't allow me to use it for the Form 4473, even though the state extended driver's licenses for 90 days.

Didn't need to purchase anything at the moment, but this feels like my 2nd Amendment rights have been nullified.

With each passing day more people will be in the same boat.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: I can no longer buy a firearm from an FFL

Post by Aesinsp »

Happy belated birthday.
Mine is near.. DL not expiring though.
What a craptastic 'gift'.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

There's a lot of stuff you technically can't do with an expired OL....many of which people are not doing now, but some still are...

~Board a plane
~Buy alcohol
~Vote
~Enter a military base
~Open a bank account/mortgage/loan

I'm not sure that a governor's directive can override a federal statute that requires a valid ID, and expired does not equal valid.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well, how about a favor? All of you with lines are on good internet person to person buy/sell sites, PM me the info please.

Anyone remember the Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs got mad and declared war on the U.S.? That's how I feel. One thing he did was saw off Florida and yell "Take it away, Cuba!!"

When others fall into this situation, post up on this thread, okay?

Also a correction to the first post: Those five BMVs are processing ONLY CDLs.

********************************************************************************
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

We have or have once this is over a flight out west in the fall for a visit with friends.
Since we will need a compliant drivers license to board a plane soon we went ahead and got our new D/Ls early.
We lost a few months of time on the old D/Ls but still glad we did it.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

JediSkipdogg wrote:There's a lot of stuff you technically can't do with an expired OL....many of which people are not doing now, but some still are...

~Board a plane
~Buy alcohol
~Vote
~Enter a military base
~Open a bank account/mortgage/loan

I'm not sure that a governor's directive can override a federal statute that requires a valid ID, and expired does not equal valid.
They are penalizing people for a problem that the government created. Not right.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Can a CHL be used for I.D. in place of a DL for the 4473?
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Looks like you could put together a number of documents/IDs to meet the ATF requirements (assuming the FFL does have these details or can look them up)

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-fo ... ee-firearm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

I don't know if the legislature could correct this or not, but, as I read the summary of the emergency bill, it extends the time to renew licenses, but does not change the expiration of the license. I haven't read the actual law, but this means that, technically, you could be charge for driving without a license after expiration, though I doubt many jurisdictions within the state would do that. It might be more problematic if you drive out of state though. Mine expires in June and I'm hoping that I can renew it by then, but we'll see. My CHL has a couple of years left to go. We may have to review the law and return to the legislature to request an amendment to the law that states that licenses do not expire during this emergency period and for a period of 90 days after it is over.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Gramps wrote:We have or have once this is over a flight out west in the fall for a visit with friends.
Since we will need a compliant drivers license to board a plane soon we went ahead and got our new D/Ls early.
We lost a few months of time on the old D/Ls but still glad we did it.
If you have Passports, the driver's license thing is a non-issue. Mine expires in October, when the new Federal compliance thing takes effect for TSA. I haven't showed my DL to TSA in years, just use Passport.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ArmedAviator wrote:If you have Passports, the driver's license thing is a non-issue. Mine expires in October, when the new Federal compliance thing takes effect for TSA. I haven't showed my DL to TSA in years, just use Passport.
The compliance deadline has been extended to October 2021, BTW.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

JustaShooter wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:If you have Passports, the driver's license thing is a non-issue. Mine expires in October, when the new Federal compliance thing takes effect for TSA. I haven't showed my DL to TSA in years, just use Passport.
The compliance deadline has been extended to October 2021, BTW.
You can thank states that give DLs to illegal immigrants for Real ID (ie enhanced ID), then you can wonder why the Feds keep extending the deadline year after year.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Kinda figured this thread would drift, that's okay. Personally, never had a passport and never will. Not planning on "stepping up" to a TSA-compliant driver's license either, whenever I can finally renew it. Last plane I flew in was a Ford Tri Motor two summers ago up in Delaware Ohio.

Now, could someone please PM me some sites that do Ohioan to Ohioan private sales, in case this shutdown goes on a while?

Thanks.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

PM sent.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Brian D. wrote:Kinda figured this thread would drift, that's okay. Personally, never had a passport and never will. Not planning on "stepping up" to a TSA-compliant driver's license either, whenever I can finally renew it. Last plane I flew in was a Ford Tri Motor two summers ago up in Delaware Ohio.
Thanks.
The first and last commercial plane I was on was a twin engine prop job from Columbus Oh to Louisville Ky to report to Ft Knox for basic training in 1972..
Been a lifetime ago and things have really changed since then.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <