Anybody interested in what's happening in Virginia?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Anybody interested in what's happening in Virginia?

Post by bignflnut »

Campbell County attorney and conservative activist, Rick Boyer, is following through with a plan to add VEXIT on the 2020 ballot in November.

"People are just realizing the brand new Virginia is not the Virginia I grew up in and my kids are not going to grow up in the same level of freedom that I enjoyed and they want to do something about it," he said. "I think a large part of Virginia is realizing we are not represented by the current legislation and the current Governor."

Boyer says the possibility of new gun laws in Virginia, as well as the movement in rural Virginia counties to establish themselves as Second Amendment sanctuaries, inspired his petition aiming to get enough signatures to put the 'VEXIT' initiative on the ballot as a referendum.

Matt Cline, a member of the Campbell County Board of Supervisors says this is still a grey area and a number of things would need to be considered before a decision could be made, but he's not surprised by the growing movement.

"The fact that people in Campbell County are making this push and being the first to make this push as we did with the second amendment sanctuary status is not surprising to me at all, and I am proud the people are standing up," he said.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The Spirit of Defiance is strong in Virginia!
A high school principal told his students not to fly the US flag from their vehicles anymore when they drove to school — It was offensive.

This is the disgusting garbage they are teaching kids in public schools these days.

So the Virginia high school students formed a caravan of vehicles with US flags when they drove to school the next day.
Glorious quick video inside link.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Virginia Housed passed HB961. If it becomes law, all mags that hold over 12 rounds have to be turned in by 2021. Hoping the Virginia Senate does not follow suit.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/02/virgin ... z6Dlg5SJ1h

https://www.theblaze.com/news/virginia- ... ntrol-bill
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I believe this will end up playing out before the SCOTUS. Even California's draconian magazine ban has been struck down.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-go ... 44894.html

SNIP:"Judge Roger Benitez last week opened the door to the acquisition of new magazines in a decision that found California’s gun control law to be an unconstitutional restriction on the right to own weapons."
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

techmike wrote:I believe this will end up playing out before the SCOTUS. Even California's draconian magazine ban has been struck down.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-go ... 44894.html

SNIP:"Judge Roger Benitez last week opened the door to the acquisition of new magazines in a decision that found California’s gun control law to be an unconstitutional restriction on the right to own weapons."
If you read the article you posted, you will see an update that says that judge's order quickly got stayed.

I found this article from last month. Still waiting for 9th Circus to rule. In the meantime, it is illegal to buy or sell high cap magazines.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-go ... 24173.html
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Yes, I did read it. That is why I stated my belief that it will go to the SCOTUS. What both California and Virginia are attempting is clearly in violation of the Constitution. Of course, IANAL.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

AW ban rejected (for now)

https://www.whio.com/news/national/virg ... XYop0aiiJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lawmakers in both the House and Senate have already advanced several other gun-control measures and should finalize passage in the coming days. Those bills include limiting handgun purchases to once a month, universal background checks on gun purchases, allowing localities to ban guns in public buildings, parks and other areas, and a red flag bill that would allow authorities to temporarily take guns away from anyone deemed to be dangerous to themselves or others.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

From Quigley's article...
The Senate has now rejected three of the governor's eight gun-control measures. Moderate Democrats have already voted with Republicans to kill a bill that would make it a felony to “recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm” in a way that endangers a minor, and a bill that would require gun owners to report the loss or theft of a gun to police.

Lawmakers in both the House and Senate have already advanced several other gun-control measures and should finalize passage in the coming days. Those bills include limiting handgun purchases to once a month; universal background checks on gun purchases; allowing localities to ban guns in public buildings, parks and other areas; and a red flag bill that would allow authorities to temporarily take guns away from anyone deemed to be dangerous to themselves or others.
A few major scalps for VCDL and a few pelts for Bloomberg.

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

HEY...The Champion is on the case!
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam spent the weekend defending his newly signed gun control laws and attacking President Donald Trump for not doing enough about providing tests for the coronavirus after the president ripped into Northam’s anti-gun efforts in tweets and press briefings on Friday.
After the deed is done...thanks buddy!

kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Northam apparently is going to try to get some more gun laws passed this year. If gun rights advocates hold a rally to stop it, I'm sure they will be denounced for spreading COVID.
Anti-self-defense Delegate Democrat Mark Levine's HB961, which banned “assault weapons”, suppressors, and magazines that hold over 10 rounds, was continued to 2021 back in February. But Governor Northam recently said he wants to revive it and has said he will convene a special session of the General Assembly in August.
https://www.ammoland.com/2020/07/action ... z6R9Mu6mtR