A bipartisan gun bill that Trump might allegedly support

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

A bipartisan gun bill that Trump might allegedly support

Post by M-Quigley »

Had this law been in effect it might've (although I doubt it) slowed down the Odessa Tx shooter (the one who failed a background check due to mental status. IDK whether it only requires authorities to be alerted or to actually do something about it.

Although what is mentioned in the article doesn't sound that bad (unless of course you're one of those people who have been wrongfully denied and now the police are questioning you) I'm sure there's got to be more onerous to the bill than just what the MSM is reporting. :(

Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., who is also involved in talks, including with White House senior adviser Ivanka Trump, said he is encouraged that the president may be interested in more narrow efforts, including his bipartisan bill with Toomey. It would require federal authorities to alert state officials when people trying to buy firearms are denied by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
https://www.whio.com/news/national-govt ... FgAYluExH/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Re: A bipartisan gun bill that Trump might allegedly support

Post by Brian D. »

Anytime I see a law that purports to "require {insert whatever level of government here} to alert {insert whoever here}" about ANYTHING, I cringe because I know there won't be any real penalty when they fail to do so.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Not exactly the same thing but I recall reading that straw purchasers are almost never charged.
Seems like more of the same, pass a law that won't be enforced.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So... we need more laws to tell them to do their damned job and enforce the laws that are already on the books. :roll:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Woo Hooo...bigger, better databases to infringe on our freedoms! (What was FiX NICS? Weren't the GOP big whigs just selling us this?)
Let's make the State bigger and more powerful!
WHEEEEEEEEE!

“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798