Buttigieg says guns are a "false god"

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Buttigieg says guns are a "false god"

Post by bignflnut »

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg argued Sunday that the real reason the United States has not adopted stricter gun control is that the NRA has convinced Americans that guns are an idol rather than a tool.

Buttigieg made the comments during a segment of Sunday morning’s “State of the Union” with Jake Tapper, saying that the NRA had turned guns into a “false god.”

SNIP

“A question of how we handle responsible gun ownership. Here is something to think about this Sunday morning. Is a gun a tool or an idol? Any time I’ve carried or handled a weapon, whether in Afghanistan for self-defense or whether it was to go skeet shooting or hunting, I viewed it as a tool. But if the gun corporation lobby, which is what the NRA is, now has people viewing guns as a thing to be loved, a thing to be protected, a thing that is a source of our freedom and power and a thing to which we are willing to sacrifice human life, isn’t that the definition of a false God?”
A. Responsible gun ownership?
Nothing in the headlines this weekend has dealt with responsible gun ownership. Why should the responsible now be squeezed by the actions of people who were your voters, bought your deceptions and acted upon them?

B. Hello Pot, Meet Kettle
Said by a guy who is running for Savior of a Nation is rich. The State, and the executive branch of federal government particularly, regularly presents itself as a solution to our societal ills. In fact, the inability to scuttle the Dept of Education, the various GCA68, NFA34 and FOPA86, have all damaged RKBA. We're very far from the original intent of RKBA, and if we're worshiping anything as a false god, it's the power of the State. Bonus hypocrisy points for drawing attention to the Lord's Day, Sunday, masquerading yourself as an angel of light.

C. Inanimate
Blaming an inanimate object instead of bolstering moral and intellectual education to create a more perfect union is the height of idiocy. If you think that the problem in our society is an inanimate object as opposed to serious mental deception, I encourage you to turn on BRAVO, MTV or any channel airing movies after 2000. Watch our culture devalue deep and intimate relationship in community, trading it for cheap and tawdry thrills that leave us brokenhearted. Watch people deride reproduction. Watch people follow their hedonistic lusts.

Indeed, if guns are tools, as we can agree, what are you proposing to encourage the proper use of these tools? Creating criminals out of the law abiding?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Buttigieg says guns are a "false god"

Post by WhyNot »

The false God is what he worships that being a ever bulging all encompassing bloated central government. Where your heart is there be your treasure also. Any, every problem? What does god, er, .gov have to say?

In any event, I M sure his .0000000340056% poll rating actually might have went up .00004 % 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

I'll take Buttigieg's religious advice like I take Rosie O'Donnell's diet advice.

The man has ZERO credibility on that subject.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:
South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg argued Sunday that the real reason the United States has not adopted stricter gun control is that the NRA has convinced Americans that guns are an idol rather than a tool.

Buttigieg made the comments during a segment of Sunday morning’s “State of the Union” with Jake Tapper, saying that the NRA had turned guns into a “false god.”

SNIP

“A question of how we handle responsible gun ownership. Here is something to think about this Sunday morning. Is a gun a tool or an idol? Any time I’ve carried or handled a weapon, whether in Afghanistan for self-defense or whether it was to go skeet shooting or hunting, I viewed it as a tool. But if the gun corporation lobby, which is what the NRA is, now has people viewing guns as a thing to be loved, a thing to be protected, a thing that is a source of our freedom and power and a thing to which we are willing to sacrifice human life, isn’t that the definition of a false God?”
A. Responsible gun ownership?
Nothing in the headlines this weekend has dealt with responsible gun ownership. Why should the responsible now be squeezed by the actions of people who were your voters, bought your deceptions and acted upon them?

B. Hello Pot, Meet Kettle
Said by a guy who is running for Savior of a Nation is rich. The State, and the executive branch of federal government particularly, regularly presents itself as a solution to our societal ills. In fact, the inability to scuttle the Dept of Education, the various GCA68, NFA34 and FOPA86, have all damaged RKBA. We're very far from the original intent of RKBA, and if we're worshiping anything as a false god, it's the power of the State. Bonus hypocrisy points for drawing attention to the Lord's Day, Sunday, masquerading yourself as an angel of light.

C. Inanimate
Blaming an inanimate object instead of bolstering moral and intellectual education to create a more perfect union is the height of idiocy. If you think that the problem in our society is an inanimate object as opposed to serious mental deception, I encourage you to turn on BRAVO, MTV or any channel airing movies after 2000. Watch our culture devalue deep and intimate relationship in community, trading it for cheap and tawdry thrills that leave us brokenhearted. Watch people deride reproduction. Watch people follow their hedonistic lusts.

Indeed, if guns are tools, as we can agree, what are you proposing to encourage the proper use of these tools? Creating criminals out of the law abiding?

When I read the bolded part, for some strange reason I thought of the people in 1775 who first stood against the British soldiers in Lexington who were there for the purpose of confiscating arms and gunpowder. They didn't worship their guns but they valued their freedom enough to risk their lives for it, and rightly knew their arms were needed to secure that freedom. I know this doesn't help the conversation in 2019, it's just a silly thought that popped into my head when I read it. :(
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

^^^
I don't think that's silly at all.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member