Texas Speaker kills gun bill because of pro-gun activist

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Texas Speaker kills gun bill because of pro-gun activist

Post by rickt »

Harassing politicians at their homes is not a way to advance legislation.
Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen declared Friday that a “constitutional carry” gun bill was dead after a gun rights activist showed up at his Houston-area home to advocate for it.

Chris McNutt, executive director of Texas Gun Rights and a supporter of the legislation that would allow Texans to carry firearms with a license, showed up to Bonnen’s home in Lake Jackson on Wednesday to question why the bill had stalled, according to the Dallas Morning News.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-house- ... t-his-home
Brian D.

Re: Texas Speaker kills gun bill because of pro-gun activist

Post by Brian D. »

That's likely not the whole story. As the gun rights advocate said, politicians go door to door, making promises just to get votes. What did House Speaker say before the last election?

I don't consider showing up at politicians' homes a first-line tactic, but it shouldn't be off the table either, imo.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Politicians homes and their families should be off-limits. It shows a total ignorance of human nature and is not a way to build a good working relationship with someone.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Going to a politician's house (uninvited) like this sends a clear message "I'm unbalanced and know where you and your family sleep."

This is not a way to advance legislation.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Flip the script for a minute.

If some "Moms Demand Action" jackwagons showed up at a legislator's house when they knew the legislator was not home (was 100+ miles away in session) what would we say?
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Morne wrote:Flip the script for a minute.

If some "Moms Demand Action" jackwagons showed up at a legislator's house when they knew the legislator was not home (was 100+ miles away in session) what would we say?
I stand by my earlier statement. Sometimes these politicos make themselves unreachable through conventional channels of communication.

Read some more background on that Texas House Speaker. To me he's been against Constitutional Carry from jump, but needed an excuse to say so publicly.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.