Senate Bill 150 In KY

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Senate Bill 150 In KY

Post by DOA33 »

As you know I moved to Heaven..I mean KY a couple of years ago. I was watching the news tonight and they ran a piece about Senate Bill 150 which is doing away with CHL in KY completely and that it has passed the senate. A quote from the bill's sponsor, Sen. Brandon Smith,
Supporters say people already can carry weapons openly without training.
it's not fair that someone now needs a permit if they carry a gun under a coat.

If this bill goes into law and I don't need my KY CHL how would that affect me going to OH to visit my family?
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
SMMAssociates

Re: Senate Bill 150 In KY

Post by SMMAssociates »

DOA33:

I'd keep your KY license for now....

While OH does allow unlicensed open carry, the "unlicensed" part has some nasty traps in it, and that doesn't include carrying the weapon concealed.

Namely, you can't transport a loaded firearm in your vehicle. It has to be unloaded, and stored someplace you can't easily get to (your trunk is OK if you have one). So, to stay (IMHO) perfectly in line, you have to unload and secure the gun while you (and the gun) are outside of the vehicle. (Same thing in reverse when you want to put the gun on....)

IMHO/IANAL and all that good stuff, and things might have changed a bit since I looked at it last. (I've been carrying for over 50 years, and got my CHL in 2004. While I still pay attention, I miss things somehow :) .

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

When this passes, I'll still keep my CWL. I spent money on it and by God I'll get my money worth! I haven't forgot how nasty OH gun laws can be without some type of license esp transporting a gun in a car.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

DOA33 wrote:When this passes, I'll still keep my CWL. I spent money on it and by God I'll get my money worth! I haven't forgot how nasty OH gun laws can be without some type of license esp transporting a gun in a car.
And it's not just Ohio. Traveling to any state that recognizes Kentucky's license will allow you to carry concealed there as long as you have the license. Right now, Constitutional carry is only good within the boundaries of the states that authorize it.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

schmieg wrote:
DOA33 wrote:When this passes, I'll still keep my CWL. I spent money on it and by God I'll get my money worth! I haven't forgot how nasty OH gun laws can be without some type of license esp transporting a gun in a car.
And it's not just Ohio. Traveling to any state that recognizes Kentucky's license will allow you to carry concealed there as long as you have the license. Right now, Constitutional carry is only good within the boundaries of the states that authorize it.
Which leads to another question if KY does go into a Constitutional carry, how would one renew the license if the state doesn't issue any more, how could I carry into OH besides OC and following the law regarding riding in a car.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

DOA33 wrote: Which leads to another question if KY does go into a Constitutional carry, how would one renew the license if the state doesn't issue any more, how could I carry into OH besides OC and following the law regarding riding in a car.
Most states that enact Constitutional carry still retain the licensing process for those who desire reciprocity with other states. Vermont is the one exception I can think of, but Constitutional carry was instituted there years ago by court decision.

I haven't read the Kentucky bill, so I can't comment on what they are doing, but it would be unusual if they did away with the licensing process.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

The way I'm understanding when reading this

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recordd ... 150/LM.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that KY will do away with issuing license all together.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

DOA33 wrote:The way I'm understanding when reading this

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recordd ... 150/LM.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that KY will do away with issuing license all together.
I read it differently, it says they will likely issue fewer licenses, implying they will still issue them. If someone has a link to the actual bill I'd be willing to check it out...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/record/19RS/sb150.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

It says that it will create a new section of the code, not eliminate the licensing section.
-- Mike

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

AlanM wrote:Here's the Original bill:
https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recordd ... g_bill.pdf
And there is nothing I saw in that eliminating the licensing system.
-- Mike

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

schmieg wrote:
And there is nothing I saw in that eliminating the licensing system.
Likewise.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

So simple. So elegant. It would take Ohio 6,000 words to accomplish the same thing and somewhere along the way they'd manage to outlaw carry by anyone over the age of 21.