Ohio was 46th state to allow concealed carry

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Ohio was 46th state to allow concealed carry

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

From data pulled together at https://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They wanted to show how gun rights have advanced over the past 33 years - and they have. Red = No issue. Yellow = May issue. Blue = Shall issue. Green = Unrestricted.

Image Image

It's clear that the situation has improved drastically from 1986 to now, but what struck me was the map in 2003, showing that Ohio was one of only 5 states still not allowing any form of concealed carry
Image Image

For those who wonder why Ohio doesn't have SYG or some other law that other pro-gun states have, keep this in mind. States like California, NY, NJ, and Maryland at least offered people there the theoretical chance at concealed carry licenses for a couple decades or more while Ohio remained one of the final holdouts. This makes me sad, but also makes me understand better why we get so little each legislative session.
M-Quigley

Re: Ohio was 46th state to allow concealed carry

Post by M-Quigley »

It should be NO hio was the 46th state to allow some form of licensed concealed carry. Prior to the licensing Ohio had an affirmative defense exception, which was generally based on previous case law. It was similar to a may issue license but without the license, which made for a lot of uncertainty. You didn't know if you got stopped whether your excuse was going to be good enough for the LEO on the scene and whether they were going to arrest you or not. In addition business owners who carried a lot of cash or other valubles on them basically had a "good excuse" while ordinary joes and janes did not. I almost got arrested one night despite the #2 deputy in the Sheriff's department telling me it was okay for me to carry concealed at that time, and he reported to the Sheriff. When the deputy confimed what I told him he seemed angry that he had been cheated out of an opportunity to arrest me.

The realy ironic or hypocritical thing was when a Dayton councilman was caught carrying and used the excuse he needed to carry because he was a big supporter of gun control, didn't even want people from owning certain guns, and had allegedly received death threats. IDK if he had any proof of this or even needed proof but I guess he made a police report. So apparently owning and carrying a semi auto handgun was okay for him but not for the little people. By being against other people owning guns he created a situation where he could claim he was in danger and therefore carry when others could not. :roll:
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Ahh yes the bad old days of being a Buckeye. I really do not like thinking back to those dark times. Thank goodness for OFCC.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

Yet Ohio has had OPEN CARRY since, well....forever!! :roll:
God made man, Colt made them equal
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AzRanger wrote:Yet Ohio has had OPEN CARRY since, well....forever!! :roll:
Keep in mind though, that before ORC 9.68 came about, more than a few cities had laws against carry.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Trivia question: When did Ohio OFFICIALLY become a state of the Union?

Answer:
Ohio became a state on March 1, 1803, although no formal declaration was mad euntil 1953, when President Dwight Eisenhower officially signed the documents making it a state, retroactive to the original date.
Essentially, Washington lost the paperwork for 150 years.
I'm sure glad that didn't happen with my divorce papers.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.