CHL

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

CHL

Post by qmti »

Was watching channel 7 news Dayton and they stated that because of the government shutdown there will be no new CHL issued. Can't be processed by NICS. At least I presume they meant gun licenses.
Brian D.

Re: CHL

Post by Brian D. »

NICS checks for gun purchases were going through just fine at the Goodman gun show yesterday. Apparently certain things do not shut down.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Brian D. wrote:NICS checks for gun purchases were going through just fine at the Goodman gun show yesterday. Apparently certain things do not shut down.
NICS is considered an essential part of the DOJ so it has always continued uninterrupted during past shutdowns. In any event, it's another good reason to obtain a post 3/23/15 CHL at the first opportunity.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

djthomas wrote:
Brian D. wrote:NICS checks for gun purchases were going through just fine at the Goodman gun show yesterday. Apparently certain things do not shut down.
NICS is considered an essential part of the DOJ so it has always continued uninterrupted during past shutdowns. In any event, it's another good reason to obtain a post 3/23/15 CHL at the first opportunity.
That's a good point. I might renew a little early and shave the five year license by a month or so. (That's what happened with my last renewal, in Clermont County. It was a change of policy from initial issue, and renewal. Guess I could check with a couple other counties to see how they do it.)

********************************************************************************
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

djthomas wrote:
Brian D. wrote:NICS is considered an essential part of the DOJ so it has always continued uninterrupted during past shutdowns. In any event, it's another good reason to obtain a post 3/23/15 CHL at the first opportunity.
But but but...
They won't let me. And there's no good reason that I know of for this nonsense.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I forget: Can we renew 60 days ahead of expiration, or 90?

scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

ORC 2923.125(F) of the Ohio Revised Code, provides for the renewal of a CCW license 90 days prior to its expiration and no later than 30 days after the permit expires.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks, Scott.

Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

scottb wrote:ORC 2923.125(F) of the Ohio Revised Code, provides for the renewal of a CCW license 90 days prior to its expiration and no later than 30 days after the permit expires.
(F)

(1)

(a) Except as provided in division (F)(1)(b) of this section, a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Any thoughts as to -WHY- we cannot simply upgrade well before 90 days?

It's really a whole new tier of license.

It's like a license that I am not eligible to get... even if someone who has never had a license is.

Please help me to understand the logic behind this.
(No, of course I don't actually expect logic, I am a realist.)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

It seems to me that the state should be happy to take my money weekly if I so desired to renew as often. Surely the fee covers all administrative expenses and then some.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Sevens wrote:Any thoughts as to -WHY- we cannot simply upgrade well before 90 days?
The original idea was to allow you to renew early to be able to make sure you got the renewal back before expiration - no one foresaw that you might want to renew even earlier for some reason. But of course since our legislators are too clever by half they outsmarted themselves (and us) by enshrining a specific date into the law that now has a detrimental effect for some.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Well that (predictably) sucks, but a logical explanation. Much thanks.