Trump, Gun Free Zones and Day One

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Trump, Gun Free Zones and Day One

Post by bignflnut »

Gun control advocates feel emboldened after the 2018 midterm elections in which more than 30 NRA-backed Republican candidates lost their races.

“His tactic has been to say incendiary things about guns to whip up the base, but he and the NRA haven’t been able to pass any of the gun lobby’s priority legislation — even with a Republican Congress for two years,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action, part of the Everytown for Gun Safety coalition.

When Trump met with members of the group Stand with Parkland on Monday, administration officials highlighted the school safety website. Stand with Parkland backed the creation of the website — but it also has urged Congress to require universal background checks on gun purchases.

Asked if there was disappointment in the president backing away from taking on background checks, one Parkland parent who met with Trump, Max Schachter, said the president’s efforts should not be minimized.

“Of course there is always more that can be done,” said Schachter, whose 14-year-old son, Alex, was among the victims at Parkland. “But let’s not let perfection be the enemy of good.”
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/donald-trump-second-amendment-warrior/
“His tactic has been to say incendiary things about guns to whip up the base, but he and the NRA haven’t been able to pass any of the gun lobby’s priority legislation — even with a Republican Congress for two years,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action, part of the Everytown for Gun Safety coalition.
Such a disingenuous statement - having a simple majority in the US Senate is all but meaningless when it comes to passing legislation. Without the 60 votes required for Cloture, a simple majority cannot move a bill to the floor of the Senate for a vote.

But then, I expect nothing less from the left - but I do expect more from you, bignflnut.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Though I'm tempted, I won't volley the "disingenuous statement" remark.

Was there ever any attempt to bring GFZs, NFA repeals or anything remotely pro RKBA to the floor of the Senate in 2017 or 2018? Did cloture ever really stop something that was queued up on the launchpad?

Do we not recall the pleas prior to 2016, that the GOP needed to hold all the majority positions so that they could move their agenda forward? Now the GOPe needs the House, POTUS and a 60 vote majority in the Senate before it can pass an agenda? Are you running on that platform? (The Senate hasn't seen these types of majorities since the 70s...and if you want a GOP cloture proof majority, you're going back nearly a century.) I'd take the bet that you and I will not see a 60 vote majority on the GOP side in our lives. Without total and unfettered control, nothing notable will be passed? What about 4D chess? What about grand compromising?

This is simple goalpost shifting to excuse ineffective leadership.

In any instance, the point was that Watts, Bloomberg and their ilk see how the GOP is simply whipping up the base (and don't we fall for it every time?) but are ultimately full of sound and fury signifying nothing. On this single point, they are wiser than a multitude of GOP cheerleaders.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Expect less from me then and I might add, from (R)s in the current Senate majority, IF they really did have 60 votes, 70, ...100.

105 :P .

They would STILL act like snivelers, childrens.

a) genetics
b) I M tired
c) really like to keep up 'the churn'
d) suckers will vote for me anyways
e)all the above
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

118 days till the POTUS election...for anyone waiting to give Trump more time in paying off his "Day One" promise of eradicating national gun free zones.
PALM SPRINGS, Calif. – A Marine was transported to a hospital for a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a two-hour interaction with police at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at Twentynine Palms.

Capt. Nicole Plymale said the base's police department received reports of shots fired around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. Officers were dispatched to the scene and "cordoned off" the suspect. The incident is under investigation.

The gunshot wound was self-inflicted around 8:30 a.m., Plymale said, and the suspect was transported to a medical facility for treatment. No other injuries were reported.
The guy who could "shoot someone in the street and I would not lose voters" has shutdown the economy, casting 40 million into unemployment...but he gave one hell of a great speech at Mt. Rushmore.

We shall see how loyal many are...
Donald Trump may drop out of the 2020 presidential race if he believes he has no chance of winning, a Republican Party operative reportedly told Fox News.

The claim comes in a report in the president’s favourite news outlet that cites a number of GOP insiders who are concerned about Mr Trump’s re-election prospects amid abysmal polling numbers.
Reagan asked if you're better off than you were 4 years ago...he's not an outsider anymore. That "list of accomplishments" on RKBA is very short...
I don't write the mail, I'm just helping deliver it...

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

''Donald Trump may drop out of the ...''

And other various & sundry blather.

Seriously grasping at straws I say. Or should I say, straw.

There MUST be an alternative then? Plan Bee?

Here.... feel free to turn it off just whenever U like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JdigPbYZMc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://youtu.be/-jVChf3ajb4?t=497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://youtu.be/3DbE2SmV2bs?t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH-y_w0O5Bw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

That's one.

The dude with the slingshot and the soda straw is in for TRUMP, agreeing with Rush (around 28 minutes) and Tucker that he is captured, there are no alternatives! It rubs the lotion on it's skin, it does this whenever it's told.

Rah!-Rah!
G-O-P!

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:
Donald Trump may drop out of the 2020 presidential race if he believes he has no chance of winning, a Republican Party operative reportedly told Fox News.

The claim comes in a report in the president’s favourite news outlet that cites a number of GOP insiders who are concerned about Mr Trump’s re-election prospects amid abysmal polling numbers.
Reagan asked if you're better off than you were 4 years ago...he's not an outsider anymore. That "list of accomplishments" on RKBA is very short...
I don't write the mail, I'm just helping deliver it...
Speaking of polls, here's a flashback. (jump to 5:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G87UXIH8Lzo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I would like to point out at this juncture, I didn't produce the videos I just provided them 8)

:P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

M-Quigley wrote:
Speaking of polls, here's a flashback. (jump to 5:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G87UXIH8Lzo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Speaking of flashbacks, this one has aged like a very fine wine **Language warning**:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When it comes to the election of 2020, the equation really hasn't changed very much, if at all for the American people.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

President @RealDonaldTrump
outlines his second-term agenda!

Rebuild the economy and bring back jobs!

Make great trade deals!

Finish the wall!

Rebuild the military!

Protect the 2nd Amendment!

Appoint more conservative judges!
Rinse and repeat campaign, but this time he's destroyed the economy, barely started a wall, Covid cancelled the China trade deal, he's been detrimental to RKBA and more "conservative judges" is such a joke!

Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

bignflnut wrote:Rinse and repeat campaign, but this time he's destroyed the economy, barely started a wall, Covid cancelled the China trade deal, he's been detrimental to RKBA and more "conservative judges" is such a joke!
Who's destroyed the economy? COVID and the shutdowns which Trump is not responsible for. Interestingly, the stock market has recovered fairly nicely regardless.

Its very easy to criticize and very difficult to propose solutions. When it comes to the Supreme Court, it's his nominees who've written condemning the courts refusal to defend 2A. Remember that Roberts was a George W. appointee.

Has Trump hurt RKBA in some of his actions? Absolutely. At this point, what president in the past 50 years hasn't? That's no excuse, however it would perhaps be more helpful to point out the candidates that have a perfect track record that are actually running and have a snowballs chance of winning. I mean, one could get the wrong impression on what your message is here. If we are purely concerned about RKBA, then lets be fair and talk about everyone who's running and where they stand.

If our goal is to simply attack those considering a vote for Trump, your message will fall on many deaf ears if the only viable alternative seems to be a vote for Biden (who openly wants to remove RKBA).
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Klingon00 wrote:
bignflnut wrote:Rinse and repeat campaign, but this time he's destroyed the economy, barely started a wall, Covid cancelled the China trade deal, he's been detrimental to RKBA and more "conservative judges" is such a joke!
Who's destroyed the economy? COVID and the shutdowns which Trump is not responsible for. Interestingly, the stock market has recovered fairly nicely regardless.
Can't have this both ways. He's claimed/is claiming Savior status for saving lives by shutting down the economy.
Klingon00 wrote:Its very easy to criticize and very difficult to propose solutions. When it comes to the Supreme Court, it's his nominees who've written condemning the courts refusal to defend 2A. Remember that Roberts was a George W. appointee.
Didn't George W run on a Republican ticket?
What is there to say about Gorsuch equating one's preferences with immutable characteristics.

I don't have problems proposing solutions. They may indeed be difficult solutions, but if the patient insists on rubbing the lotion on its skin again, instead of comprehending the depth of the dilemma, no solution will be accepted.
Klingon00 wrote:Has Trump hurt RKBA in some of his actions? Absolutely. At this point, what president in the past 50 years hasn't?
How many promised to eradicate GFZs on Day One?! How many fancied themselves the Champion of the 2nd Amendment?
Klingon00 wrote:That's no excuse,...
Then why bring it up?
Klingon00 wrote: ...however it would perhaps be more helpful to point out the candidates that have a perfect track record that are actually running and have a snowballs chance of winning. I mean, one could get the wrong impression on what your message is here. If we are purely concerned about RKBA, then lets be fair and talk about everyone who's running and where they stand.
No, see I'm trying to get the captured individual to realize the person promising them the moon and the stars is actually on par with the Hillary's and Biden's and the Beto's of the world. Indeed, a Trojan Horse is more dangerous (in many ways) because the attacks from within are so easily dismissed and repeated. I've said this for 4 years; I've been rather clear that Trump is no friend to the RKBA, and yet, people persist that he is our only hope. If 4 years of evidence is not persuasive enough, particularly when the first two had majorities in both houses of congress, what could persuade you that this man is not your friend?
Klingon00 wrote:If our goal is to simply attack those considering a vote for Trump, your message will fall on many deaf ears if the only viable alternative seems to be a vote for Biden (who openly wants to remove RKBA).
Yes, the federal ballot box isn't serving gun owners well as a strategy, is it? -- But if one insists that this is the only viable solution, one may not understand the founding of the nation or have much hope in the concepts and philosophies that once made America great.

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

VOTE FOR JOE THEN!

Oh! Ok I gotta a better idea! Don't vote! (that way one of the OTHER pro-Joe votes, would have cancelled yours out) (a.k.a. you still voted for Joe- lite kinda sorta)

But...but....

Yeah, that's what I thought :?

Here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy8yAj5DIXs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

bignflnut wrote:
Klingon00 wrote:That's no excuse,...
Then why bring it up?
Because, in order to challenge the status quo you have to provide solutions, not criticisms. You can criticize until you are blue in the face, but people will eventually tune you out if you have no viable alternative solution to offer.

We all want to live in a perfect world with perfect candidates that never make mistakes and supports what we believe in 100%. That world doesn't exist and has never existed, anyone who tells you differently is running for office. Such is the nature of politics. Can you do better? Great! I encourage you to run for office and stop complaining so much. Know someone who you support 100%? Great! Lets hear all about them and we can debate the merits.
bignflnut wrote: No, see I'm trying to get the captured individual to realize the person promising them the moon and the stars is actually on par with the Hillary's and Biden's and the Beto's of the world. Indeed, a Trojan Horse is more dangerous (in many ways) because the attacks from within are so easily dismissed and repeated. I've said this for 4 years; I've been rather clear that Trump is no friend to the RKBA, and yet, people persist that he is our only hope. If 4 years of evidence is not persuasive enough, particularly when the first two had majorities in both houses of congress, what could persuade you that this man is not your friend?
I will re-iterate that it is Trump's Supreme court nominees that are writing in support of RKBA but lament the fact they are outnumbered. In case you haven't been paying attention, many in the republican party have been actively attempting to thwart Trump (Romney, W, and Kasich anyone?). You yourself frequently complain about the GOPe but then lump all republicans in together as if they are unified when it suits you and complain when they don't get things done despite a once "majority" in name only. You can't have it both ways. I will take pro 2A nominees on the supreme court over antis any day. Again, I ask you for your solutions. What do YOU propose?
bignflnut wrote: Yes, the federal ballot box isn't serving gun owners well as a strategy, is it? -- But if one insists that this is the only viable solution, one may not understand the founding of the nation or have much hope in the concepts and philosophies that once made America great.
If you really feel that the ballot box has failed you then stop beating around the bush and say what it is you intend to say. At least we would have something more interesting to discuss beyond 15 pages of tired criticisms.