Trump, Gun Free Zones and Day One

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Trump, Gun Free Zones and Day One

Post by bignflnut »

As a presidential candidate, Donald Trump vowed to make Americans safer from attacks like those that left scores dead in Paris, San Bernardino, and Orlando. Eliminating restrictions that bar people from carrying guns places where firearms are currently banned, he frequently declared, is key to that strategy.

“I will get rid of gun-free zones on schools, and — you have to — and on military bases,” he said at a rally in Burlington, Vermont, in January. “My first day, it gets signed, okay? My first day. There’s no more gun-free zones.”
Video of the promise is in the link above (yes, schools are specifically included).

The article goes on to explain how the office of POTUS doesn't have the power to do such (demonstrated by military deciding to arm recruiters and such prior to Inauguration ...nor should we desire an all powerful executive)...but this first week is one filled with promises...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
SMMAssociates

Re: Trump, Gun Free Zones and Day One

Post by SMMAssociates »

bignflnut:

Give him a couple days.... Zero threw so much crap under the door just before he was ejected that it'll keep our President busy for a while. Then we send Sammy....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I'm willing to give a "couple days" (30-90-180?).
I also find it wise to put it on people's radar.
Not surprised that he over-promised, bigly.

Again, I don't desire an all-powerful executive. I comprehend getting full control of the ship before you use it to do the work you intend to accomplish. First things first, despite the pandering promise.

The party was last week. Appropriately so.
We need to pay attention to how the promises are fulfilled/unfulfilled at this point. The cycle of promising results for votes and then excusing inept leadership needs to end.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

According to Gun Owners of America Trump is getting ready with his pen.

http://www.ammoland.com/2017/01/preside ... z4Wuuh64MG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The guy is work at a record pace. How about we cut him some deserving slack. :roll:
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Double3

Post by Double3 »

bignflnut wrote:I'm willing to give a "couple days" (30-90-180?).
I also find it wise to put it on people's radar.
Not surprised that he over-promised, bigly.

The guy has been keeping promises he said all along so far.

You can only do some much at once.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

troy bilt wrote:The guy is work at a record pace. How about we cut him some deserving slack. :roll:
Week One, there were 17 items more important that CPZs

Is there a pool on over/under 45 for the first pro-gun Executive Order or Executive Action?

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

If Congress goes for the CRA, then a lot of bad stuff can go away quickly.

First week or first month, I don't much care as long as the bad stuff goes away.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mustang380gal wrote:If Congress goes for the CRA, then a lot of bad stuff can go away quickly.

First week or first month, I don't much care as long as the bad stuff goes away.
This.

Keep in mind, most of what he has said he wants requires changes to law, which means congress must act. Removal of gun-free zones? Congress. Interstate reciprocity? Congress. Removal of suppressors from the NFA? Congress.

But, one could say he *has* acted, since as I understand it he put on hold any rules and regulations put in place by the previous administration that have not yet taken effect, and I believe that includes the changes to add certain SSA recipients to the NICS database and possibly other RKBA related rules and regulations.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Well, tonight at about 8pm we'll know his nominee for the Supreme Court.
His short list has had only pro-second amendment jurists.
That's another good sharp arrow in our quiver.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

AlanM wrote:Well, tonight at about 8pm we'll know his nominee for the Supreme Court.
The local news was reporting today it'll be announced tomorrow (Tuesday) at 8pm.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

Judge Gorsuch, a great pick!! The NRA is happy as should all freedom loving gunowners should be! 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

AzRanger wrote:Judge Gorsuch, a great pick!! The NRA is happy as should all freedom loving gunowners should be! 8)
Well, maybe. Anybody on Trumps list was way better than whoever Hillary would've nominated.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... ncern.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

M-Quigley wrote:
AlanM wrote:Well, tonight at about 8pm we'll know his nominee for the Supreme Court.
The local news was reporting today it'll be announced tomorrow (Tuesday) at 8pm.
I woke up at 2am Tuesday morning with the realization that I had posted that one day early.
My bad.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Week two comes and goes without pro-gun measures from the Executive Branch

curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

John Lott, president of the pro-gun Crime Prevention Research Center, said federal legislation has pre-empted state rules before, meaning there is plenty of precedent for rules to be passed federally. That being said, Congress hasn’t introduced any bills.

“None of the bills so far being offered by Republicans on reciprocity currently propose changes in federal law to override state rules on where one can carry a permit,” Lott said. “Yet, it is surely possible for those bills to be changed.”
Stand by .......