Democrats vowing to filibuster and kill national CCW

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Democrats vowing to filibuster and kill national CCW

Post by M-Quigley »

http://crimeresearch.org/2016/11/democr ... us-senate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last I heard, the Democrats were threatening to filibuster everything the Republicans want to do, unless it involves spending more money on something. :roll:
glocksmith

Re: Democrats vowing to filibuster and kill national CCW

Post by glocksmith »

Funny how the distribution on that map somewhat resembles the "Red & Blue" map from the 2016 Election. :roll:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Pity they no longer have to actually filibuster. Make the fools actually get up there and talk.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

They would definitely have to kill it, after all Public safety would be at risk if it passed.. at least per the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/opini ... .html?_r=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But since 2007, concealed-carry permit holders have been responsible for at least 898 deaths not involving self-defense, according to the Violence Policy Center, a gun safety group. This includes 29 mass shootings by permit holders who killed 139 people. Separate research has found that despite the overwhelming number of guns in America, they are very rarely used in self-defense or to stop crimes. The self-defense myth of concealed carry nevertheless carries on, at the expense of public safety.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Bruenor wrote:They would definitely have to kill it, after all Public safety would be at risk if it passed.. at least per the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/opini ... .html?_r=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But since 2007, concealed-carry permit holders have been responsible for at least 898 deaths not involving self-defense, according to the Violence Policy Center, a gun safety group. This includes 29 mass shootings by permit holders who killed 139 people. Separate research has found that despite the overwhelming number of guns in America, they are very rarely used in self-defense or to stop crimes. The self-defense myth of concealed carry nevertheless carries on, at the expense of public safety.
How many deaths have non-concealed carry permit holders been responsible for?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Javelin Man wrote:
Bruenor wrote:They would definitely have to kill it, after all Public safety would be at risk if it passed.. at least per the NYT

How many deaths have non-concealed carry permit holders been responsible for?
I'd have to ask their methodology for coming up with that number, I expect it to be skewed somehow.
Then I would compare those 10 years of stats from 50 states with 1 year in the city of Chicago, lets say 2016 ytd for instance.. 4098 shooting victims, with 662 dead through Dec 2.
so 898 for 50 states over 10 years is not a huge number, from where I am sitting. We all know on average CHL holders are less likely to break the law, but in every bunch there are bad apples.
I certainly don' share the opinion of the NYT.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

The Violence Policy Center was founded by Josh Sugarmann...the founding father of the term "assault rifle". The VPC is made up of rabid antis and its statistics should never be taken seriously. Here is another of their biased articles: http://concealedcarrykillers.org/
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Bruenor wrote:so 898 for 50 states over 10 years is not a huge number, from where I am sitting.
Been awhile since I took statistics in college..but isn't 898 divided by 50 divided by 10 the correct formula? 898 divided by 50 states = 17.96 divided by 10 years = 1.796.

1.796 per state per year? Either my math is all wrong or that's a pretty small number. :roll:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Supposed news article AP put out today:
Senate Filibuster's Racist Past Fuels Arguments for Its End
the Senate filibuster is coming under fresh scrutiny not only because of the enormous power it gives a single senator to halt President Joe Biden’s agenda, but as a tool historically used for racism.
“Senate Democrats will soon face a choice: Protect our democracy and pass the For the People Act, or protect the filibuster — an outdated and abused ‘Jim Crow relic’ that deserves to be tossed into the dustbin of history."
Harvard Law professor Michael Klarman said while the filibuster itself may in itself be racist, it certainly has been used that way in the past — as well as in the present.

“There’s nothing partisan about saying the filibuster has mostly been used for racist reasons, I think everybody would agree that that’s true,” he said.
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/ar ... or-its-end