House Freedom Caucus helps Trump understand

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

House Freedom Caucus helps Trump understand

Post by bignflnut »

However, in the process, Trump appears to be losing a number of Republican House members.

The Trump administration is losing conservative House members on efforts to expand background checks for buying firearms, with Freedom Caucus members rejecting the proposals floated by the attorney general.

The idea of expanding background checks to all commercial sales was a no-go for some conservative lawmakers, who felt it would erode the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

“We’re continuing to work with the administration to find a solution. That particular proposal isn’t something we’d be in favor of,” Rep. Mark Meadows, former chairman of the Freedom Caucus, told The Washington Times. “If they move forward with that plan the Freedom Caucus would not be in support of it.”

The Freedom Caucus is a bloc of about 30 of the most staunchly conservative Republicans in Congress.

It’s an important warning for the Trump administration to at least consider before proposing any gun control measures. These are people Trump will need to pass just about anything his administration wants. Alienating them may not be the best way to go about business.
Welcome, HFC. Thank you for actually leading.
Of course, if you're up for bids every 2 years, you don't get to play the long game.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: House Freedom Caucus helps Trump understand

Post by WhyNot »

Jordan runs unopposed.

I just saying :D
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

There's something I don't understand about the Manchin Tomey Senate bill that's being reported in the MSM as possibily Trump might support, while Pelosi says it's not good enough because it allegedly doesn't cover private sales. The MSM is reporting that it requires background checks for all commercial sales and at gun shows, internet sales. I thought it was required now for those sales anyway, except at gun shows. Commercial sales at gun shows are required, technically private sales are not, in Ohio at least. Of course the reality is some people have had tables at gun shows and say private seller, but they might have more guns for sale than some dealers, at least in the past. (havent been to a gun show recently) Does anyone know what the Manchin bill actually does or doesn't do?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:There's something I don't understand about the Manchin Tomey Senate bill that's being reported in the MSM as possibily Trump might support, while Pelosi says it's not good enough because it allegedly doesn't cover private sales. The MSM is reporting that it requires background checks for all commercial sales and at gun shows, internet sales. I thought it was required now for those sales anyway, except at gun shows. Commercial sales at gun shows are required, technically private sales are not, in Ohio at least. Of course the reality is some people have had tables at gun shows and say private seller, but they might have more guns for sale than some dealers, at least in the past. (havent been to a gun show recently) Does anyone know what the Manchin bill actually does or doesn't do?
I think that the Manchin Tomey bill might be recognizing reality. Casual sellers do not have to have a FFL, but there are many "casual sellers" who make quite a bit of money buying and selling guns and these probably should be qualified as commercial enterprises which would require a FFL. Every now and then, ATF goes after one of these guys, but there are still a lot of them out there. It seems that the ones ATF goes after tend to be large scale collectors though.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

....and therefore there is ALREADY a mechanism, UNUSED, to check the alleged so-called ''Private Sale'' tables who are set up month after m after month. And they just don't do it.

...therefore, much like DeHim wanting to ''add laws'' to Ohio...which...we...already have coverage of...under existing ORC's

One of the primary function of DEMOKKRATS is to INCREASE the size of government at any & all levels. Birds of a feather, flock together....
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Ahh yes. OFCC forum searches r my friend, keeps from typing it all againe...

Re: S.B. 65: Regulate gun show transfers

Postby WhyNot » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 am
Regulated means to me. I ate properly, with very little :P junk food. And drank my water.
Less than 24 hours later, I am regulated :roll: .

NOT SO with politics. Introducing something foriegn to the body of liberty ultimately :shock: leaves the toilet politically clogged, needing services of plunger or auger (sometimes augur? LoL). ''They'' hope the person suffering will...forget by next election cycle.

Not needed in the gun shows, 'cause everything runs...smoothly as-is. Local LEO walks through guns shows routinely. LEO at the check-in door. Said LEOs are a combo of uniformed and plain clothes w/ shields out, from what I've seen. Feds ''undercover'' walking through show. And let's not forget the regular tables who have a ''good feel'' for the bad actors. Many patrons are card carrying members of the show. Other various etc.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good