Winchester Model 1890 .22Long

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

EricTheBald

Winchester Model 1890 .22Long

Post by EricTheBald »

I may have accidentally picked up a decently rare Winchester, designed by Browning himself.

It's a "Winchester Repeating Arms" Model 1890 in .22 Long, with a 56,xxx serial number. And yes, that's .22 Long, not Long-Rifle.

My problem is that my research seems to indicate a value in the $1,000 - $4,000 range, depending on the usual set of obscure variables that only someone with a YouTube channel and a silly mustache would likely know.

Anyone know anything about these things? Or know anyone who does?
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Winchester Model 1890 .22Long

Post by cpg »

Far from an expert here, but a while back did some research for a friend and found this. Hopefully it helps, if not I’ll grow a funny mustache and try again! Good luck.

- 849,000 rifles were produced from 1890-1932.
- Rifles assembled from spare parts were still produced until 1941.
- Beginning in 1908, Winchester "WP" proof mark was put on the barrel.
- Beginning in 1919, the roll mark changed from "Model 1890" to "Model 90".
- Variant #1 (1890-1892) case hardened receiver finish, solid receiver frame, and fixed rear sight.
- Variant #2 (1893-??) case hardened or blued receiver finish, adjustable rear sight, take down receiver.
- Variant #3 (??-1932) case hardened or blued receiver finish, modified receiver for locking breech bolt.
- Both #2 & #3 were offered in Deluxe versions with fancy checkered walnut stock in "straight" or "pistol grip" configuration.
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

That is pretty much what I found out. Based on what I’ve seen on the Internet, my serial number corresponds to 1898 or 1899, though I can’t narrow it down to a specific year.

I am reasonably sure that mine is not the first generation, both because of the year of manufacture and the fact that it is a takedown. I also think the receiver was blued, but the blowing is mostly gone and it has the sort of aged patina that you would normally expect. I really don’t know how to tell case hardening from blowing when it’s almost 125 years old.

Odd thing is that the rear side does not seem to be adjustable, unless they mean something different from what I think they do.
-

-
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

You can always request a Winchester factory letter from the Cody Firearms Museum for a small fee.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/fir ... inchester/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Early Winchesters (1873 – 1906)

Configuration records are available for most firearms manufactured between 1873 and approximately 1906 depending on the model. Configuration information may include caliber, barrel type, trigger type, and any special-order features. Customer data is rarely available for Winchesters. Serial number application date information will be included when available.

Factory letters on these firearms are $75 for individuals who are not Firearms Members of the Center. Learn more about firearms membership here.

This link will provide info on what value a Factory letter might have, and why you might want one
https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/when-exa ... -1404.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Thank You.
-

-