Anybody remember 90s movie Demolition Man?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Anybody remember 90s movie Demolition Man?

Post by bignflnut »

An anonymous female beta tester for "Horizon Worlds" the VR universe under development by the Meta company, complained that someone virtually "groped" her while she was inside the system.
Sandy and Sly show you how it's done.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Anybody remember 90s movie Demolition Man?

Post by TSiWRX »

I know it's bad-form to make light of things like this, but heck, could've at least taken the other party to Taco Bell, first........

Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Aren't there some online combat games where people 'teabag' their opponents after dispatching them ?
Halo players have been teabagging each other since Halo: Combat Evolved came out in 2001, to rub it in, to frustrate and annoy. In the online world of Halo, teabagging is very much human behaviour.
welcome to virtual worlds where actions have few consequences, because people believe they are anonymous.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I'm a firm believer that Demolition Man was prophecy. The parallels to modern times is uncanny. Keep in mind it came out about 30 years ago...

Legally enforced social distancing brought on by a history of constant virus outbreaks, video conferencing, personal tablets, virtual sex, self driving cars, smoking bans, loss of constitutional protections, a segregated society of people who are chipped and the unchipped who starve beneath the streets but otherwise live free. You have criminals released from prison to reign terror on a weak populace for political ends, a form of social score that impacts your ability to get jobs and loans based on the words you say in public.

One thing I'm glad hasn't come true is a president Schwarzenegger although he did eventually become the governor of CA since the movie was made.
Bruenor wrote: welcome to virtual worlds where actions have few consequences, because people believe they are anonymous.
Of course this is Facebook, tied to your public profile. Facebook has put a lot of effort into de-anonymizing their platform. People are stupid if they think there won't be consequences if they wish to continue to use that platform.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Klingon00 wrote:I'm a firm believer that Demolition Man was prophecy. The parallels to modern times is uncanny. Keep in mind it came out about 30 years ago...

Legally enforced social distancing brought on by a history of constant virus outbreaks, video conferencing, personal tablets, virtual sex, self driving cars, smoking bans, loss of constitutional protections, a segregated society of people who are chipped and the unchipped who starve beneath the streets but otherwise live free. You have criminals released from prison to reign terror on a weak populace for political ends, a form of social score that impacts your ability to get jobs and loans based on the words you say in public.

One thing I'm glad hasn't come true is a president Schwarzenegger although he did eventually become the governor of CA since the movie was made.
Bruenor wrote: welcome to virtual worlds where actions have few consequences, because people believe they are anonymous.
Of course this is Facebook, tied to your public profile. Facebook has put a lot of effort into de-anonymizing their platform. People are stupid if they think there won't be consequences if they wish to continue to use that platform.
From what I've seen the quickest way to face consequences on Facebook is to post anything that goes against whatever the Liberals believe in, whether it's proven scientific fact or not. :(
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

M-Quigley wrote: From what I've seen the quickest way to face consequences on Facebook is to post anything that goes against whatever the Liberals believe in, whether it's proven scientific fact or not. :(
XXX Fact checkers have determined that your post is offensive.
Exterminate, EXTERMINATE!
:lol:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Nobody ever expects the Spanish Daleks.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-