Hello Duck Hunters! I need some advice

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ParaC7

Hello Duck Hunters! I need some advice

Post by ParaC7 »

I am brand new to the world of duck hunting, and I need some advice on decent duck calls, what are some decent brands to look at? What would suitable for beginners regarding ease of use and making them sound like actual ducks? What type of load out would I need in the field as there are many types of ducks that sound different. I started looking for calls and there are literally thousands to check out. I have no idea where to begin. Thanks for the help!

Phil!
Gun Control means using both hands and hitting your target.

You want my guns Hillary???? SURE you can have them..................Bullets First!!!

Charlton Heston always was and always will be MY President!!!!
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Hello Duck Hunters! I need some advice

Post by techmike »

Guess we have no duck hunters. :shock:
Might try your questions HERE.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Practice in the off season my friend. Which call out of the thousands? I would suggest a wood Duck Commander double reed, if he still makes them in wood. Wood is more mellow and more forgiving , easier to blow. And DC has some EXCELLENT videos. The also will listen to you quack over the phone & give you tips...

Load out in the field, I M guessing U R talking setup. Decoys etc. OK, U admittedly do not know how to call yet. So, why use decoys that are positioned to...be calling? Think sleepers; asleep is NOT calling. So in that scenario, a calling duck would be UNNATURAL. Further, the incoming duck(s) would be looking for the one that's calling, and potentially would go...elsewhere.

OK shorten it & simplify it. I always advocate an odd # so lets say 9 . 2-3 sleepers, 2-3 feeder butts (head under water, not qwacking again), 3 regular decoys of which ONE absolutely would be a drake, positioned away from the rest a slight bit, but, noticeable. Think sentry. You want to attract drakes, and a few ''extra'' or unpaired girls (hens) is...just that. Oh and teh #1 species is mallards, virtually all other species will decoy to them...

Position yourself wherever, just not too close and total camo. U cannot over do it, use foliage mats / grass mats to blend in, hide your movement. Ducks can see REAL good.

U DO NOT HAVE TO CALL 85% + OF THE TIME on a regular day, guys just swauk away anyway, the dekes will do the job IF U R HIDDEN WELL.

Oh also BTW you can go out CHL, remember, if the Game Warden shows U must promptly inform just like a traffic stop. Well, for now... 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I have one piece of advice.
If you are out during duck season and aren't wearing hunter orange:
DON'T QUACK!
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.