What are you compensating for ? - Social Psychology

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

What are you compensating for ? - Social Psychology

Post by Bruenor »

Well there you have it owning a firearm doesn't mean you have a small pee-pee or are compensating for your lack of virility. Funny they had to do a study to figure this out, No sure who takes those claims as being for granted in the first place.
Gun ownership is not associated with male sexual dysfunction, according to new research

Men experiencing sexual dysfunction are no more likely to be gun owners than men who are not experiencing such problems, according to new research published in the American Journal of Men’s Health. The study casts doubt on claims derived from psychoanalytic theory that guns are phallic symbols that serve as unconscious representations of male virility.

“Our gun research has focused on testing the taken-for-granted claims of gun culture,” said lead researcher Terrence D. Hill, an associate sociology professor at The University of Texas at San Antonio. “Are gun owners especially fearful? Do guns help people to sleep better at night? Do guns make people happier? Do guns enhance satisfaction in life? Do guns compensate for sexual dysfunction in men? In each case, the answer has been no. Our general aim is to contribute to more evidence-based discussions of the role of guns in society.”
“Our findings are important because they contribute to our understanding of factors associated with gun ownership by challenging the belief that phallic symbolism and masculinity somehow drive men with sexual dysfunction to purchase guns. Our results also remind us of the perils of gun culture rhetoric, which, in this case, function to discredit gun owners and to further stigmatize men with erectile dysfunction.”
“One reason for this is that handling guns has been reported to increase testosterone levels in experimental settings.
having a gun could in turn protect against erectile dysfunction by increasing testosterone.”
“Sexual Dysfunction and Gun Ownership in America: When Hard Data Meet a Limp Theory“
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Re: What are you compensating for ? - Social Psychology

Post by M-Quigley »

If the nonsense about men carrying a gun to compensate for small genitalia were true, why would anyone carry a "snub nose" revolver? :roll:
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Well...I've got both.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Flashback to the 80's, drill Sgt in the movie marching the recruits around in their unders with their rifles...

''this is my rifle, this is my gun...'' and response from the recruits after that. Recruits were named Pete & Repeat :P

Sorry, it's early still. My morning coffee statement [insert statement HERE]. Well, ....less sugar, more creamer :P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

Ha, my signature:
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
:roll: :roll:
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.