Professionalism

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Professionalism

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I was recently approached via email by an organization that advocates for the advancement of our 2nd Amendment rights, focused mostly in the state of Ohio.

As an active, dues-paying member of this organization, they sought to notify me it was time to pay my annual dues again. No problem.

The reason for this post is to point out how sad I get when a statewide organization sends out an HTML email containing numerous links to the features and functions of their website, such as membership renewal, and most of those links DO NOT WORK!!

Oh, the membership renewal link works just fine, but most of the other links, which the email invites you to click, do not.

And this is how the organization represents me? They can't even be bothered to check the links in the email they're sending out? But they want my money?

I'm not sure I should renew this year. What do you guys think? Am I just being an a-hole (moreso than usual)?

This is not a complaint about the volunteers that do the mailings and fulfillment, but rather a comment to the upper echelon of leadership, the ones who should be actively projecting and protecting their organizational image and making sure it is something members are proud to be a part of.

Here's a list of link addresses in the email that were not working:

http://ohioccw.org/Ohio-Gun-Owner-Alerts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://ohioccw.org/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://ohioccw.org/help-wanted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://ohioccw.org/component/com_sobip ... 38/sid,54/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://ohioccw.org/ohioccw-training.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://ohioccw.org/wiki/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Professionalism

Post by JustaShooter »

Sorry to see this, MWSY. I've passed this along to the web guy & leadership.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

This post reminded me that my membership expired earlier this month. Just renewed.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Never ever got an email reminder about membership status through the years. Could be the group doesn't have a correct address for me. Found it handy to pay at the Picnic. Obviously with Pandemic replacing Picnic last year I'm not paid up these days.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Never have I gotten a renewal notice.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
dademoss

Post by dademoss »

Looks like my last Patron membership was 2010, STILL waiting for a renewal notice. I don't know how many years I heard "We fixed it" for reminders, yet still not fixed. An annual update to the main page, no recco's or advice on who to vote for against in elections. Frankly I gave up long ago and just check the forum now and then.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm sorry you feel that way, dademoss. As an all-volunteer organization, we are always hurting for help. Our one web guy, for example, wears several hats in the organization, besides having a wife, child, dog, mortgage, job, and a life outside of OFCC. When stuff stops working, or new stuff needs to be added, if he can't get it working we don't have anyone else to fall back on. You could say the same for just about anything that needs to be done in the organization, from running tables at gun shows, to submitting testimony for pro and anti-gun bills, to going to the statehouse to testify in person and/or talk to our legislators, or whatever.

Ultimately, as with most things in life, it comes down to priorities and resource allocation. And with our current resources, getting the email reminder system working takes second place to many other activities. I wish it were different, and we had the resources to be what you and other members would like (and for that matter, what *I* would like) the organization to be.

I'll address one other specific complaint in your post before signing off for the night. And that is:
An annual update to the main page, no recco's or advice on who to vote for against in elections.
Historically, we have had regular updates to the page, and more in the way of recommendations for elections. Over the past couple of years, we've had several key players in the organization step away from their duties or take a much-reduced role, and it has hurt us - especially in these areas. Throw in a significant disruption in our web hosting on top of that, and that puts us where we are today.

If you or any other members are able and willing to help, speak up. Any sysadmin types out there, able to manage a LAMP stack and help with things like email automation, and willing to volunteer some time? Marketing/messaging types to help write copy, craft email alerts, and the like? Political junkies, who can spend time talking to representatives on their positions and help separate the wheat from the chaff? Even just warm bodies willing to spend a weekend here and there at a gun show talking to people about the organization, passing out literature, and soliciting donations. Let us know and I'm sure we can find a way for you to help.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

JustaShooter wrote: If you or any other members are able and willing to help, speak up. ... Political junkies, who can spend time talking to representatives on their positions and help separate the wheat from the chaff?
Happy to engage Reps/Senators directly on behalf of the membership for a volunteer's salary.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

bignflnut wrote:
JustaShooter wrote: If you or any other members are able and willing to help, speak up. ... Political junkies, who can spend time talking to representatives on their positions and help separate the wheat from the chaff?
Happy to engage Reps/Senators directly on behalf of the membership for a volunteer's salary.
If you're good at it, OFCC will double that salary.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

bignflnut wrote:
If you're serious, send me a PM
Every time I've asked you, you've shied away
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)