Sportsman's Guide Warranty FYI

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Sportsman's Guide Warranty FYI

Post by kcclark »

SG has a lifetime warranty on their in-house brands. I bought a Gear Guide Flashlight for $48 in August 2012. It has gotten flakier and flakier. Now, it almost never works. Uses size 123 batteries and they have never leaked.

I tried to do the online warranty return but the system said my order number did not exist. Called them and they said my old orders had been purged. I have the email from when I ordered it and I have the credit card statement. They said that is not good enough. They want the paperwork it was shipped with. I often staple that to the credit card statement but not in this case. :(

Anyway, FYI to keep track of your packing slips from SG when item has a warranty since the email is not good enough.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: Sportsman's Guide Warranty FYI

Post by evan price »

Sportsman's Guide has been a turd for a long time, just like Cheaper Than Dirt.
They burned me about ten years ago and I'm still talking badly about them.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

evan price wrote:Sportsman's Guide has been a turd for a long time, just like Cheaper Than Dirt.
They burned me about ten years ago and I'm still talking badly about them.
When Gary Olen owned and ran it, it was a great company and I bought things frequently from them. He sold it and I believe it ended up being owned by a French company. It has steadily gone downhill. The quality of the Guide Gear clothing is really sad. A couple of years ago, I ordered a large jacket from them that fit in the shoulders and across the back, but I couldn't close it. I returned it for an XL which was too large across the back and shoulders, but it still wouldn't close. They then sent me an XXL which fit even worse, but it still wouldn't close. The difference in the sizes were that more material was put into the backs and shoulders, but the front portion was exactly the same size on all three. I returned it and let my Buyer's Club membership lapse. Haven't bought anything from them since.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

schmieg wrote: When Gary Olen owned and ran it, it was a great company and I bought things frequently from them. He sold it and I believe it ended up being owned by a French company.
If I knew Gary was gone, I had forgotten it. Sad to hear that.

Pre-internet, I was always buying stuff from them. I loved the old war surplus stuff they would come up with. Somewhere along the line, their website became more important to them than their catalogs so I did not do as many impulse buys. I only look at the website when I need something. Searching my emails shows the last time I bought something from them was December 2015 and that was also a flashlight.