Drivers license scanning for casual purchase at gun store ??

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Drivers license scanning for casual purchase at gun stor

Post by pk47 »

What store is "LGS"? Or is this just a generic abbreviation for "local gun store"?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pk47 wrote:What store is "LGS"? Or is this just a generic abbreviation for "local gun store"?
You got it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep, hopefully didn't come across as knocking you. I agree, it is a pathetic, groveling policy. Hopefully they lose LOTS of customers over such nonsense.

Bruenor wrote:I was interested to hear what his reason was, to let him know I disagreed with the collection of the info, and that they had lost a customer. I figured that was enough I wasn't going to debate him on the choices made. Not sure if it's his decision, the franchise owner, or their corporate overlords. I was wondering the same thing, I think it may be if the police come asking, he can easily pull up the electronic records, instead of spending hours trying to track down a sale, I didn't push for details.
WY_Not wrote:So how do they know if the person making the purchase is a prohibited person? It is not like they are running a NICS check. Sounds like he was only telling a half truth... it was to track who was making purchases. Betting that the prohibited person bit was BS to make it sound legit.
Bruenor wrote:by chance I ran into the Store manager at an outside function a week or two back, I asked him about this policy and he said it had t do with prohibited persons shopping at the store. for ammo and whatnot. So it wasn't just to have a name with every order, it was to track who was making purchases. So that question has been answered.

I did let him know I didn't like the policy and they had lost my sale because of it..
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

I'm a guessin' it has nothing to do with "prohibited people" & ammo, and more in line with marketing & direct advertising.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Exactly.
JimE wrote:I'm a guessin' it has nothing to do with "prohibited people" & ammo, and more in line with marketing & direct advertising.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

WY_Not wrote:Exactly.
JimE wrote:I'm a guessin' it has nothing to do with "prohibited people" & ammo, and more in line with marketing & direct advertising.
Funny thing if they had asked for my email address to send me notice of specials and for marketing, I would have given that to them without an issue. Sure you can save me money.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

And to follow that up if it's just for marketing why would they refuse to make the sale when I wouldn't allow them to scan my Drivers Licensee ? That's got to be the worst marketing ploy ever.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Somebody called in to gun talk Sunday with the same scenario.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

screwman wrote:Somebody called in to gun talk Sunday with the same scenario.
What station/time do you catch this gun talk on Sunday?
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Bruenor wrote:

And to follow that up if it's just for marketing why would they refuse to make the sale when I wouldn't allow them to scan my Drivers Licensee ? That's got to be the worst marketing ploy ever.
Advertising was the first thing that came to my mind, but there is 1 "possible" semi- legit reason, for a non-firearm sale, to scan a license.
Age verification on ammo.
18 for rifle, 21 for handgun.
With a lot of stores, finding someone to run a cash register who doesn't steal , and can count without taking their shoes off is a chore. Now find one who knows the ins and outs of the firearm business as well.
Point of sale systems can be programmed to do all sorts of things, and it could be if you try to purchase 9mm when your license say's your 19, it stops everything.
(Yes I know, pistol caliber rifles muddy the water on that)
That does not however, mean they need to record the sale (non-firearm) by name .
As a side, the folks I work for scan a D/L only for firearm purchases. Everything else is just a cash sale in the system.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Point taken but OP was buying non-age gated items. No legitimate reason to require a DL swipe/scan. No legitimate reason to even see a DL.

Still, even in your situation if they need to verify my age then they can look at my DL. No legitimate reason to swipe the mag strip or scan the barcode. Never even had someone try to swipe/ scan my DL when buying a firearm, they just look at it to verify that what I wrote on the form matches what is on the DL.
JimE wrote:Advertising was the first thing that came to my mind, but there is 1 "possible" semi- legit reason, for a non-firearm sale, to scan a license.
Age verification on ammo.
18 for rifle, 21 for handgun.
With a lot of stores, finding someone to run a cash register who doesn't steal , and can count without taking their shoes off is a chore. Now find one who knows the ins and outs of the firearm business as well.
Point of sale systems can be programmed to do all sorts of things, and it could be if you try to purchase 9mm when your license say's your 19, it stops everything.
(Yes I know, pistol caliber rifles muddy the water on that)
That does not however, mean they need to record the sale (non-firearm) by name .
As a side, the folks I work for scan a D/L only for firearm purchases. Everything else is just a cash sale in the system.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I don't drink or smoke but does the same merchants want to scan the DL for cigs & beer?

Seems that would support or destroy their ''need'' to scan for bullets etc.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

WY_Not wrote:Point taken but OP was buying non-age gated items. No legitimate reason to require a DL swipe/scan. No legitimate reason to even see a DL.

Still, even in your situation if they need to verify my age then they can look at my DL. No legitimate reason to swipe the mag strip or scan the barcode. Never even had someone try to swipe/ scan my DL when buying a firearm, they just look at it to verify that what I wrote on the form matches what is on the DL.
The reason for scanning on firearm purchases is twofold, if you are doing a high volume.
It automatically enters the data into the A&D book, which is the same info on the 4473 ( minus a SSN if you entered that, along with some other info). That step probably saves 10 to 15 minutes per customer at the register, as the cashiers do not have access to the 4473. One less place for stuff to get lost.
It also provides a reference for when the point of sale/A&D is verified against the 4473.
For a small store, where the salesperson is also doing the checkout, as long as they are accurate, there is no need for it. But when you have 10~15 people of various skill levels working a counter, and 2 or 4 cashiers,it is best to have something to help with the daily audits. ATF does not take kindly to errors or missing firearms.
But buying a widget or ammo ?
Nope, at least for us.