Get paid a thousand dollars for camping

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Get paid a thousand dollars for camping

Post by M-Quigley »

The "catch" is, if you want to call it that, is you have to do it for 48 hours without cell phones, computers, or anything where you can get online.

https://www.whio.com/news/trending/do-d ... TYOVC2HSE/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Get paid a thousand dollars for camping

Post by schmieg »

That's a normal vacation for me except that it isn't a long enough time. I prefer 10 to 14 days at a minimum.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

M-Quigley wrote:The "catch" is, if you want to call it that, is you have to do it for 48 hours without cell phones, computers, or anything where you can get online.

https://www.whio.com/news/trending/do-d ... TYOVC2HSE/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did stuff in the boonies as a kid for 6 weeks at a time near the arctic circle. Being an advertising moment for a company, on my dime, with reimbursement out of an RV sounds too much like work.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

That's more like Glamping when you have an RV in a national park.. simples. Guess the 'catch' is only if you are social media obsessed.

We camp every year in the Allegheny national forest, usually for 4-5 days. No cell service/internet, no RV hookups (or RV's for that mater), no running water, no public restrooms, cooking over an open camp fire.

challenge completed, advancing to the next level.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Bruenor wrote:That's more like Glamping when you have an RV in a national park.. simples. Guess the 'catch' is only if you are social media obsessed.

We camp every year in the Allegheny national forest, usually for 4-5 days. No cell service/internet, no RV hookups (or RV's for that mater), no running water, no public restrooms, cooking over an open camp fire.

Until my back went bad, we were spending two weeks every other year canoe tripping in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area in Minnesota. You weren't even allowed to use portage wheels on your canoe on the portages there. If something happened to you, you either had to paddle yourself out or have a satellite phone to call in a pontoon plane for medevac. Portaging a canoe and gear from lake to lake and traveling about 150 miles in two weeks is my idea of a vacation.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

schmieg wrote:
Bruenor wrote:That's more like Glamping when you have an RV in a national park.. simples. Guess the 'catch' is only if you are social media obsessed.

Until my back went bad, we were spending two weeks every other year canoe tripping in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area in Minnesota. You weren't even allowed to use portage wheels on your canoe on the portages there. If something happened to you, you either had to paddle yourself out or have a satellite phone to call in a pontoon plane for medevac. Portaging a canoe and gear from lake to lake and traveling about 150 miles in two weeks is my idea of a vacation.
Canoe camping is great !! Saw one guy on a high river down at Mohican, on his first trip with us, dump his canoe and all his brand new gear to the bottom 30 minutes out from the livery. goodby food, goodbye coleman camp stove, etc.. etc.. then his canoe got folded in half around a tree, as the river was pretty much at flood levels that trip. on a different trip a couple of the lunatics shot through the Mohawk Dam rather than portage over it. Then there was the guy that brought the live chicken for dinner, but that's a different story. Canoeing with a large group of bikers can be very interesting.

your Minnesota trip sounds great if I were still able to do that. my paddling days are over as well.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Bruenor wrote:
schmieg wrote:

Canoe camping is great !! Saw one guy on a high river down at Mohican, on his first trip with us, dump his canoe and all his brand new gear to the bottom 30 minutes out from the livery. goodby food, goodbye coleman camp stove, etc.. etc.. then his canoe got folded in half around a tree, as the river was pretty much at flood levels that trip. on a different trip a couple of the lunatics shot through the Mohawk Dam rather than portage over it. Then there was the guy that brought the live chicken for dinner, but that's a different story. Canoeing with a large group of bikers can be very interesting.

your Minnesota trip sounds great if I were still able to do that. my paddling days are over as well.
The canoe still hangs in my shed and I keep my registration up to date, just in case they ever figure out a fix for my back. However, I would need to get back in shape. Even if my back were good, I know that I couldn't walk a mile and a half with a 70# canoe, then back for 60# packs to bring to the canoe so you can start on the next lake.
-- Mike

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Since the company only chooses one contestant, I have a feeling it will someone in their mid 20's, and probably someone whose lived in a big city all their lives.

Probably someone like this. In this episode, Mike Baxter gives the girls a challenge, and the longer they went without their phones the more they acted like they were in withdrawal from a drug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzFELzDOwiY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

M-Quigley wrote:Since the company only chooses one contestant, I have a feeling it will someone in their mid 20's, and probably someone whose lived in a big city all their lives.

Probably someone like this. In this episode, Mike Baxter gives the girls a challenge, and the longer they went without their phones the more they acted like they were in withdrawal from a drug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzFELzDOwiY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Really enjoyed that show.. Need to see the other seasons since it switched networks.
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

You might not like the new Mandy. But otherwise still a good show.

I have to say, my 17-year old daughter sees herself as a mix of Eve and Mandy. I'll take that as a good thing. :)