ohioccw.org last updated Feb16?!

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: ohioccw.org last updated Feb16?!

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Wow. We have a comedian with 42 posts. :(
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote:OFCC has worked very hard over the years for our gun rights. They have done a great job. There is still work to be done. But I will say they did a good job for us. I think the mission has been accomplished. Thanks
Well, I hope you're correct. Because the best I know, OFCC is broke these days. Financially, that is.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

skylinechiliboi wrote:Perhaps if we all banded together, we could get it updated in like another year or six!
Carmen is what comedians refer to as a "tough crowd", skyline, don't let him get you down. I found some humor in your post.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:
skylinechiliboi wrote:Perhaps if we all banded together, we could get it updated in like another year or six!
Carmen is what comedians refer to as a "tough crowd", skyline, don't let him get you down. I found some humor in your post.

True that.
747tech

Post by 747tech »

Over the years I had sent various message to those running the page. One about renewing membership, another expressing interest in writing for the main site and yet others about log in issues.
As far as I can remember nobody ever responds. I remember a post looking for writers and for more than a few years it only had 4 replies.
Communication can’t be one way only and still have content that is current.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Here you go.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=95184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

I was looking at the new joiners today and thought how sad for them to see the site as it is today. It used to be fun to be able to sell a gun in a hour or read about members experiences with LEO (good or bad ) or what they had recently bought.
Everyday there was something new and exciting to view. So many members that no longer participate. It’s sad that the new members can’t see what this site used to be. Hopefully a comeback is possible.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

We need to understand why..It’s not the fault of OFCC..I believe that since CC was started their were very few people with a CHL..So everyone was interested and begging for more information...Now we are about maxed out with people having there CHL.Everything gets old...sad but true...
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

In addition, Facebook has become the place people go to talk about things, not website forums like OFCC. So, all the new people look on FB first, find what they are looking for in the groups and pages, and never find OFCC's website. And, as the old-timers move away and pass on, there are fewer and fewer participating in the forums. Kind of sad, but it's how things progress.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I think it has more to do with forum participation going downhill in general. I believe that trend is driven by Facebook and people switching from computers to smartphones. All the forums I use have had a significant drop in traffic. One forum I'm on is basically down to six people because it has not been modified to look decent on a smartphone. The number of people who browse mostly using an actual computer is very limited these days.

I'm a 94-96 Chevy Impala SS enthusiast. We used to have two big forums and a number of wannabes. The big one that never sold out to one of the forum companies went dark maybe two years ago. The one that sold out to VerticalScope still exists but not much gets posted. I was shocked when I figured out that guys who spent hours on that forum and posted dozens of times each day had not even logged on in a couple years. They had totally moved on to the Impala SS groups on Facebook, which are very busy.

I'm an admin of a number of Facebook groups but I don't hang out in Facebook groups that have a lot of traffic. The format is not conducive to keeping up on things when there is a lot of posting happening. I also don't feel like slogging through a zillion posts that do not interest me.

For an entity like OFCC, becoming dependent on Facebook Groups would be a very bad idea since there is a decent chance Facebook would shut down the group. I doubt designing a OFCC forum app would garner a lot more traffic. I think that leaves us with the status quo. If bad things happen regarding CHL in Ohio, people will pop back in here.

EDIT: I was typing this up while JustaShooter was also typing so that is why my post covers the same ground his does.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

They are still active in Columbus..Make a donation.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

carmen fovozzo wrote:They are still active in Columbus..Make a donation.
Who is "they?"
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Ask Chuck.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

The great thing about forums is the search function and the depth of written answers. However, after a number of years, most of the usual questions have been answered and easily searched. In some ways, forums put forums out of business as their searchable database became more complete.

And then came along Facebook. Answers to questions on FB groups tend to be much shallower than on forums. But, if you are part of the TL:DR / Twitter crowd, you can be a influencer in short bites. Or think you are downloading knowledge in short bites. You aren’t, the world is more complicated. But it looks so cool on the ‘Gram. The big issue with FB,Twitter et al is the expiry date that all 2A groups have on the platforms. It’s called sleeping with the enemy. Tends to not work out well over time.

One big difference: In the early days of forums (all of 15 years ago), forum participation drove in-person events. Not just political events, but others too. When OFCC was new and Appleseed was new, we had half the firing line at one of the first Ohio events being OFCC people. That kind of 2A support integration was key to winning. Unfortunately, small minds in multiple camps prevented that by protecting their own campfires, rather than seeing the raging bonfires possible. But, wow, that kind of 2A group integration would have been unstoppable on a national scale.

Hope y’all like Joe Biden. Over and out.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

kcclark wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:They are still active in Columbus..Make a donation.
Who is "they?"
OFCC - led primarily by Chuck LaRosa and Gary Will.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!