File under: You REALLY don't want to go there.

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

File under: You REALLY don't want to go there.

Post by AlanM »

‘She protected herself and her kids’: Off-duty deputy shoots man trying to break into her home with ax, sheriff says
APOPKA, Fla. — A burglary suspect attempting to breaking into numerous homes with an ax in the Rolling Oaks subdivision was shot by an off-duty deputy who lived there, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

The shooting occurred around 7:15 p.m. near East Thompson Road and East Votaw Road in Apopka, deputies said.

Officials said a man, identified as Steven Thayer, 40, used the ax to break through the back door of the home while Deputy Bridget Erwin was home with her children.

“I think (the deputy) did a great job -- she protected herself and her kids, who were at home with her,” Sheriff John Mina said. “Just like any normal person, I think she’s shaken up by this.”

Mina said Thayer made entry into at least one other home and attempted to make entry into several others. He said Erwin shot Thayer several times in the lower extremities.

After struggling with Thayer, Erwin managed to get him into handcuffs and administer lifesaving techniques, Mina said. Deputies got there quickly because they were already in the Rolling Oaks subdivision.

Erwin’s 13-year-old daughter called 911 while her son helped get Thayer in handcuffs.

Before entering Erwin’s house, a neighbor said Thayer entered his house. He said he wrestled with Thayer all while calling 911 for help, and he says the scary encounter came to a surprising end when “he actually threw himself over the balcony in my backyard,” the neighbor said.

He watched as Thayer ran toward one of his neighbor’s homes -- Deputy Erwin’s.

“I kind of said to myself, ‘Dude, you’re going to the wrong house,’” her neighbor said. “I know this girl; she’s not going to put up with that.”
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.