Boy Scouts declaring bankruptcy...

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Boy Scouts declaring bankruptcy...

Post by JU-87 »

The Boy Scouts are declaring bankruptcy to avoid paying sex abuse claims.

In case you missed it:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bo ... p-n1138161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was a Boy Scout from 1972 to making "Eagle Scout" in 1977. I never saw any abuse in my troop.

I think the BSA has committed suicide. Hiding sex abuse since the 1920's, allowing homosexuals to be members AND LEADERS, and recently allowing girls. :roll: Talk about bad business decisions!

I say pay the victims, and try to salvage what's left.

A sad , possible end, to a once great organization. :cry:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Boy Scouts declaring bankruptcy...

Post by kcclark »

They were desperate for cash so they let everybody in. In the process, they lost lots of dedicated adults and the Mormons (which was a lot of $).

I was deeply involved for 10 years at the troop, district, and council levels. Wore lots of different hats. Never had to deal directly with the more controversial crap but did deal with the missing faces that had been around for many years.

My son aged out at the beginning of 2018 and I stepped away a few months later. There are troops that are trying to avoid the changes but all it takes is one parent to blow things up.

If I had a young son now, Trail LIfe would be the path we followed. Many of the old BSA volunteers that left switched to Trail Life.

https://www.traillifeusa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I'd never even heard of TrailLife before today. I may be incorrect as I didn't spend much time on the site, but it appears evangelical-based. Makes sense with some of the recent changes at BSA (I'm not making a value-judgement either way here, just pointing it out). And those are the churches which are growing too.

There have always been a few girl's organizations that were alternatives to Girl Scouts (which really needs to update their program to say, the 1990s, according to my daughter), but they never really took off. Considering BSA is having trouble maintaining troop numbers just in terms of people/boys interested (excluding the other factors like LDS leaving etc), I wonder how successful TrailLife will be in terms of interested boys.

It's never been cool to be a Boy Scout, although America would be better off if everyone was one.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Mr. Glock wrote:I wonder how successful TrailLife will be in terms of interested boys.
The troop I watched started in Dublin six years ago. My memory is the majority of the boys had never been in Boy Scouts which surprised me. Did a quick check and determined they are still in biz but I don't know how big the troop is.

Just did a search at Trail Life's website and found out there is a troop at my church. I had no clue. At one time, my son's Boy Scout troop had seven boys from my church but it just happened to work out that way. The youngest probably ages out in two years and that will be that.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Mr. Glock wrote:I'd never even heard of TrailLife before today. I may be incorrect as I didn't spend much time on the site, but it appears evangelical-based. Makes sense with some of the recent changes at BSA (I'm not making a value-judgement either way here, just pointing it out). And those are the churches which are growing too.
(*touches index finger to nose*)

All organizations have a tendency to drift left unless sturdy boundaries are upheld with zeal.
Difficult to be in the world but not of / heavily influenced by it.

In the fight over RKBA, we can see where various national and local orgs have been influenced towards not maintaining sturdy boundaries, where firewalls have been breached, even endorsing Trumpstock bans / ERPOs.

The side with the greatest religious zeal seems to make headway. We've allowed Marxism to take over various institutions (media, politics, education, the church, marriage, etc...), because we have failed to maintain our religious, evangelical zeal towards Liberty and Negative Rights. BSA is simply the latest patriarchical American institution mercifully put to rest after succumbing to Marxism years ago.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Mr. Glock wrote: I wonder how successful TrailLife will be in terms of interested boys.
The Epoch Times had an article this week with a headline about the Boy Scouts. The article was more of a pro-Trail Life article. Said that the number of boys in the program was up 25% last year. So, good to hear that numbers are increasing but impossible to tell how members there are with that bit of info.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

So, interested for my own sake, I searched Trail Life troops in the greater Cleveland area. A generously greater Cleveland area, maybe 80-100 miles. I found about a dozen troops, but half of them were pre-charter (in BSA lingo, pre-formation). I could find that number of chartered BSA troops in 10% of non-urban core areas distance.

Not to cast shade here, I’m sure their heart is in the right place.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Looks like one of the local Boy Scout camps is top be parceled and sold at auction on May 30th .
Camp Stigwandish - Lake Erie Council, BSA Madison, OH

https://www.starbeacon.com/news/local_n ... 13da4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Camp Stigwandish will be auctioned off in several parcels at an absolute auction on May 30.

The auction will be held at Camp Stigwandish at noon, according to information from the Boy Scouts’ Lake County Council.

The property is currently split up into multiple parcels, according to Lake County records. The final sale will involve fewer parcels, said Richard Kiko, CEO and broker at Kiko Auctioneers. Kiko and the county are working to decide how the property will be broken down.

The auction will have no reserve, meaning that the highest qualified bidder will receive the property, Kiko said.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Correct. A few years ago, a number of councils merged to reduce the administrative burden on what is a smaller program (over time, not just recent events). Greater Cleveland council became the Lake Erie council and added an existing camp in what had been another council, for a total of 3 camps. Money being tight, they are keeping 2 camps that have more facilities and can host more events (like summer camp). It’s a cool piece of property, the one being sold.