Window-7

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Window-7

Post by Cruiser »

I have a laptop with Windows-7. I also have Norton 360. Is the Norton security enough protection for me? I know my laptop can be updated to 10, but I am not looking forward to learning a new system!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Window-7

Post by Gramps »

My experience with Norton.
Every PC I have owned with Norton was slowed way down, but it has been years ago. Last several years I have used Avast and never had any issues.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Cruiser wrote:I have a laptop with Windows-7. I also have Norton 360. Is the Norton security enough protection for me? I know my laptop can be updated to 10, but I am not looking forward to learning a new system!
No, Norton is not enough protection. Protecting a computer requires several layers of security. An antivirus program is only one layer. Operating system updates are critical and it is only a matter of time before some exploit starts taking advantage of still undiscovered security holes in Windows 7.

You can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade by following the instructions in this article:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

Before I retired as the IT person at a high school, I deployed a few Windows 10 laptops to a few of my users and I was pleasantly surprised that I never was asked any questions about how to use Window 10. They seemed to have no problem learning how to use it.

P.S. I agree with Gramps about Norton. I've always considered it a resource hog that makes a computer run slower.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Thanks guys, I am a bit of a gramps also. So I'll keep it simple. I'll let my computer guy upgrade it for me. I am 75 going on 76. I only use my PC for social and online purchase's, no banking. Only PayPal has my credit card info.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Gramps wrote:My experience with Norton.
Every PC I have owned with Norton was slowed way down, but it has been years ago. Last several years I have used Avast and never had any issues.
In my experience, it slows the system down if you install anything but the base anti-virus, so I don't.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Norton...the original virus.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Is it really Free, or are there charges later?

https://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivi ... 20-%20Free" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abandon ye all HOPE!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

screwman wrote:Norton...the original virus.
When it was Norton Utilities and we all used MS-DOS, it was quite useful - allowing you to even edit compiled programs and directly edit disk sectors. Since it moved into Windoze, it lost most of its utility.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Kim Komando email article, Avast is linked to selling your info and her advice is to REMOVE it , now...

https://www.komando.com/security-privac ... 2020-01-27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I'll add my ''no'' you cannot NOT update and wish security to be there, that just ain't.

I also recently did the Win7 update to Win10, there is also a ''shell'' program which allows your viewing to mimic Win7 ''look and feel.'' That info is also on KKomando website (go there, do a search)

This>>> is the direct link to MicroSofts site, FREE update to Win10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Adding my $0.02...

I used Norton way back in the 90's. It got more and more bloated and so I went with freeware.

Currently I use Comodo, which is a suite of protection. Anti-virus, firewall, host intrusion, website filtering. Had it for several years now, very satisfied.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Cruiser wrote:
Is it really Free, or are there charges later?

https://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivi ... 20-%20Free" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AVAST, and AVG both have free versions that remain free. they will prompt you to upgrade to the paid version, but hey they are a business so OK I'll accept that. I've deployed both the free AVG and AVAST on many computers and have yet to have one infected. Can't claim that's all due to the anti-virus, good browsing habits help as well, like staying out of the shady areas of the Internet.

lots of options for free AV, that I prefer to Norton, or McAfee. Not sure why anyone pays for Antivirus software for home these days.
AVAST Free
AVG Free
AVIRA Free
Sophos Home Free
Bit Defender
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

WhyNot wrote:Kim Komando email article, Avast is linked to selling your info and her advice is to REMOVE it , now...

https://www.komando.com/security-privac ... 2020-01-27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hadn't seen that article, thanks for the heads up. scratch AVAST from the list, unless you use facebook or other social media, because they all do the same thing, even when you are not on their sites. If you use social media you should have no delusions of keeping your browsing habits private.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

screwman wrote:Norton...the original virus.
+1^
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

In case you are like me, (I detest Win10), there is http://classicshell.net/. It is open source freeware and works great. It makes Win10 UI like Win 7, except maybe better. I have been using it for several years.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

techmike wrote:In case you are like me, (I detest Win10), there is http://classicshell.net/. It is open source freeware and works great. It makes Win10 UI like Win 7, except maybe better. I have been using it for several years.
10 sure messed with the way I used my photos!
Abandon ye all HOPE!