Advice on hotel location - Cleveland area

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Advice on hotel location - Cleveland area

Post by 147Doc »

I know we have a strong Cleveland contingent here, and I'm hoping for some guidance.

I have a fun-filled, action-packed day of thrills, chills, and... well, tests scheduled at the Cleveland Clinic in mid January.
They have hotels Right On Site!
They have Valet Parking for Your Convenience!

The want Too Many Dollars! Plus if you stay in one of those hotels parking overnight is valet ONLY and costs more $$. :roll:

So, since I'm not debilitated and can walk a couple of blocks from a parking garage to the test clinic, my plan was to stay somewhere nearby by not right there, trading some driving hassle for money and peace of mind. The Holiday Inns at a little remove are cheaper and have free parking - I'd just have to add some drive time in the morning and again after the day of tests are complete.

These two options come up when I look up Holiday Inns:
Near the airport, Snow Road, Brookpark, Ohio
or
Rockside Rd, Independence, Ohio

I'm inclined to take the airport option for a couple of reasons, but I'm looking for local knowledge, if anyone could lend a hand.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Advice on hotel location - Cleveland area

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Don’t take the Airport....traffic...Rockside/Snow Rd. In Independence is a great location...safe and right off 77 to downtown...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Traffic would be more manageable from the East side imho. Especially if you have to make the commute several times over the course of the week. Coming from the westside near the airport or up 77 from independence into downtown, especially in the morning or anywhere near rush hour, to get over to the clinic area would not be my first choice. Traffic gets really snarled up going through the downtown area. (this coming from someone that commutes an hour to and from work every day.)

Coming from the east suburbs of Cleveland you could take Route 2/90 west to Martin Luther King jr. blvd right down to the clinic, and avoid the downtown highway traffic snarls.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ ... -eastlake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That would put you about 16 miles from the Clinic main campus with a 25 minute commute per google maps, maybe a bit longer during peak traffic times.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/35000+C ... 030572!3e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So Eastlake area would be my first suggestion, then a little farther out to Mentor for more budget friendly options.

Eastlake Mentor area is pretty nice, anything you might need is in the area, dining, shopping, shooting ranges etc.

Hope all your tests come back clear.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Hearing both of you say "traffic from the airport area is a mess" (or words to that effect) is very helpful. The airport Holiday Inn was otherwise running as my first contender, so thanks.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

Looking more on the east side is my suggestion also. I live on the east side, and drive to work in Valleyview (south of downtown on I-77). If I'm going anywhere near rush hour, the traffic coming up I-77 makes me very glad I'm going south rather than north. Plus, from the east you do not have to go through downtown at all - as another poster said, you exit on MLK Blvd a couple miles short of downtown -a route I drive fairly often.
During the peak of rush hour, inbound from the east can be slow too, but from everything I've seen, it's rarely as bad as the other 2 directions.
Four Points by Sheraton Eastlake was recently renovated, and I know some folks who stayed there a couple months ago and had good reviews.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

My wife has been down at University Hospital, next door to the Cleveland Clinic for the past week dealing with some issues with her pop. She discovered today they have Multi-day parking passes available after having paid $10.00 per day each time she's visited.

If you are going to be visiting the clinic multiple times during the week, you may want to check on parking passes as well. She said this was not well publicized, that these parking passes exist at UH, and she had to go hunt them down, and the office closed 30 minutes EARLY, so it was closed when she arrived after crossing the entire hospital to get to the office that sells the permits.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/patients ... counts-tab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something to maybe save you a few bucks
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
Johnny45

Post by Johnny45 »

My sister has been staying at a b&b in Rocky River whenever she goes to CC for chemo. Only about 8 miles, nice safe neighborhood, lovely home and only $35.00/night.
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for, then there must be nothing in your life worth living for.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

There are a number of motels in the Crocker Park area of Westlake, north of Crocker Park Mall, immediately north of I-90. When I was living in Fremont and working temporarily in Cleveland, I stayed over there. It's a safe area with plenty of restaurants and shopping.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I had exactly the same experience about three weeks ago. I was surprised to find a Comfort Inn on Euclid Ave. right in downtown about 15-20 minutes from CCF at a very reasonable price. They even have a discount fro CCF patients and free parking.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

The Comfort Inn you mention is included in the Cleveland Clinic brochure for places to stay.

Interesting you say that parking is free - Comfort Inn's own website lists parking as "... services/amenities that may require an additional cost." Parking is one of the specific reasons I chose to stay elsewhere. Their loss, I guess.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

I had a full day of tests at the CC on Monday, MLK day. Hectic as sh!t!

But the hotel: We stayed at the Holiday Inn Independence. Straight, easy shot up I-77... thank you gents, that was good advice.

Not the greatest Holiday Inn... gonna have to look at "Date constructed" moving forward. But that was on me... you guys gave good advice to my Independence or Airport question.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Update: I was in for another fast round of tests Feb 19-21, then back for the main event Friday the 28th.

Open-heart, sternum-splitting, heart-lung-bypass surgery to trim excess thickness from my heart wall.

While I was in my wife stayed at the Tru hotel by Hilton. Just a few blocks down Euclid and very new, very clean, no pay-to-park. Downside is that hotel doesn't provide a shuttle, so she bought a multi-day pass to park in the Clinic garage.

When I was discharged we moved to a Home2 (again, Hilton) down in Independence. Three more days and a final checkup and then home again, home again.
Last edited by 147Doc on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Glad to hear things went well, and you are home again.
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson