Car Shopping Online?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Car Shopping Online?

Post by deanimator »

Does anybody have any recommendations regarding buying a car online, especially Drivetime?

My car's on its last legs and I need to replace it relatively soon.

I'm not interested in a new car and will be buying used.

I've finally got a real job and don't need to buy a junker but am not into cars enough to spend unnecessary money.

I'm nina minutes from work and MAYBE will drive to Chiraq every year or two.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
ESAFO

Re: Car Shopping Online?

Post by ESAFO »

I like using Cargurus you select the filters & it does all the work for you.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/spt_used_cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or Autotrader they both work the same features.
https://www.autotrader.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

While I've not bought like this (yet) I have been researching @ Carvana - they will deliver to your house.
https://www.carvana.com/cars/honda-cr-v ... ExfQ%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like to keep in mind things like if a car needs a timing belt @ x-miles since thats typically a bigger maintenance expense.. Car with timing chains don't typically have that as a normal maintenance item, but that replacement can be necessary sometimes regardless, but generally @ higher miles than a belt.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
slowquest

Post by slowquest »

I've bought two vehicles from Carvana in the last 2 1/2 years. They are a great option if you don't want to deal with a dealership. They are not a great option if you like the bargaining process, want the best deal possible and need the car immediately. Both times on my purchases, the delivery date was delayed over a week past the original date. I am happy with both cars, they were as described. 2015 Dodge Charger and 2018 Dodge Durango.
“If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Unless your credit is subpar, I would stay far away from Drivetime. Prices are inflated and the one time I visited a lot, the dealership did not bother maintaining the vehicles. Also the salesperson was clueless about cars. I'd say they stay in business because desperate people will put up with a lot of crap.

Other websites I've used that have not yet been mentioned:
cars.com
carsdirect.com
craigslist
facebook
carmax - will bring in cars from their other stores for a variable fee
ebay - their guarantee is worthless so buy with same caution you exercise elsewhere

Craigslist went downhill when they started charging for the listings. That caused a lot of listings to switch to Facebook but Facebook only allows you to search within a 100 miles of your location.

There seem to be more salvage title cars out there than in the past. Good deals can definitely be had on them but check with your insurance company about being able to insure one. Not all companies will do it.

Also suggest you do not buy a vehicle without first seeing it yourself or paying an inspection company to look it over. Online pics cannot be trusted.

If you buy a vehicle from out of state, make sure the vehicle has more miles on the odometer than the title says. Ohio won't title it otherwise. I once had to spend a lot of time driving on 30 days tags so I could title a vehicle I bought from Michigan. Also make sure the VIN on the car matches the VIN on the title.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

+1 on cargurus.com. Found my Sweetie's Buick Encore there, was a great deal on a clean car, which we purchased from Price Pros in Maumee.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Based on a co-worker's recommendation, I'll be picking up a 2015 Kia Forte from Halleen Kia after work tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

I hear that dealership advertised on the radio a good bit, never dealt with them or know of anyone that has.
Good luck on your new purchase & enjoy.
BOB
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

They're just a few minutes from the office.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Kias have come a very long way in the last ten years. Very dependable cars it seems.