P-38 ?????

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: P-38 ?????

Post by schmieg »

Gramps wrote:I have had one on a key ring in my pocket for 45 years or so...... Wow those years have sure went fast now that I think about it!
Gotcha beat. I have been carrying one since my ROTC summer camp between my junior and senior years in college, so that makes 51 years now. I haven't flown since 9/11 and I wonder what TSA would say about it.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

schmieg wrote:
Gramps wrote:I have had one on a key ring in my pocket for 45 years or so...... Wow those years have sure went fast now that I think about it!
Gotcha beat. I have been carrying one since my ROTC summer camp between my junior and senior years in college, so that makes 51 years now. I haven't flown since 9/11 and I wonder what TSA would say about it.
So far, in over 100 flights since that event they have not said a single word about mine.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JustaShooter wrote:
schmieg wrote:
So far, in over 100 flights since that event they have not said a single word about mine.
Well, if I had to fly and they confiscated it, I purchased a bag of 100 of them about 20 years ago from Sportsman's Guide to give to family and friends and I still have a bunch left. However, I would miss my old, discolored Army issue one that has been with me all these years. It's like an old friend that you don't always think about, but you know is there if you need him.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
welshj

Post by welshj »

M-Quigley wrote:Does the military even still issue those anymore? I was told my basic training company was the last in the country to get them issued, as they wouldn't be needed when we went to our permanent party unit, but they were still needed for our field training.

Not in a long time.
No more C-rats.
I went to basic in '95 for the national guard. Didn't get issued one there.
Went home to my unit, and first day there I was issued mine- they were clearing out the supply room of old gear, and gave em out til they were gone.

Also, how I got to try some of the last C-rats ever issued, and a mid/early generation MRE that still had cigarettes in it. Shoulda never opened it. Smh....
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I've got a p-51 on the counter. It's the only can opener I own. Carried a p-38 on my keychain years ago, but it ate holes in my pocket.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Opener-Pack- ... 1556284390

U.S. MADE P-51 & P-38 Can Opener 20 Pack- 10 of Each USGI Military Issue
$12.40 & FREE Shipping

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

screwman wrote: Carried a p-38 on my keychain years ago, but it ate holes in my pocket.
I have had that issue too but not real often
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <