Not willing to show receipt at Walmart

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Not willing to show receipt at Walmart

Post by kcclark »

This scenario has been discussed here multiple times: Person at the door wants to see your receipt and you refuse to show it. Guy in Canton took it all the way and got arrested.
Police say Jeremy Kalmar, a 35-year-old Canton resident, refused to show the door greeter his receipt for the unbagged items in his shopping cart.

When asked by an officer for his receipt, Kalmar again refused to show it, according to the police report.

Kalmar is then accused of threatening to assault a Canton police officer and resisted arrest when police tried to take him into custody.
http://www.cleveland19.com/2019/04/17/m ... ts-police/

https://www.cantonrep.com/news/20190416 ... ens-police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0Tw8ul1fw
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Not willing to show receipt at Walmart

Post by sodbuster95 »

I don't shop at stores that would ask to see a receipt when I leave (particularly given that the vast majority of my shopping is online), but I can understand why that would be irksome.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Club membership stores are permitted to ask for a receipt as per the rules of membership. Shoppers at Walmart, etc. have no legal requirement to show a non-uniformed Police officer a receipt.

This just recently came up with my friends when we had to pick up a few things at Walmart. I've never see a person asking for receipts at this particular Walmart, so was surprised. Being in my usual quick pace out the door, the person asked for my receipt, I said no thanks, continued moving with my cart and my friends stopped with their cart. I had all of my stuff loaded in the car by the time they got out the door being checked. No thanks, I have things to do.

With that said, once a cop asks you should probably oblige and then go about your day.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

ArmedAviator wrote:Club membership stores are permitted to ask for a receipt as per the rules of membership. Shoppers at Walmart, etc. have no legal requirement to show a non-uniformed Police officer a receipt.

This just recently came up with my friends when we had to pick up a few things at Walmart. I've never see a person asking for receipts at this particular Walmart, so was surprised. Being in my usual quick pace out the door, the person asked for my receipt, I said no thanks, continued moving with my cart and my friends stopped with their cart. I had all of my stuff loaded in the car by the time they got out the door being checked. No thanks, I have things to do.

With that said, once a cop asks you should probably oblige and then go about your day.

This works well for me also but no guarantees.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOiVKAWfKrA

And ORC 2935.041 Detention and arrest of shoplifters - detention of persons in library, museum, or archival institution.
(A) A merchant, or an employee or agent of a merchant, who has probable cause to believe that items offered for sale by a mercantile establishment have been unlawfully taken by a person, may, for the purposes set forth in division (C) of this section, detain the person in a reasonable manner for a reasonable length of time within the mercantile establishment or its immediate vicinity.

JLE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JEaton wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:Club membership stores are permitted to ask for a receipt as per the rules of membership. Shoppers at Walmart, etc. have no legal requirement to show a non-uniformed Police officer a receipt.

This works well for me also but no guarantees.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOiVKAWfKrA

And ORC 2935.041 Detention and arrest of shoplifters - detention of persons in library, museum, or archival institution.
(A) A merchant, or an employee or agent of a merchant, who has probable cause to believe that items offered for sale by a mercantile establishment have been unlawfully taken by a person, may, for the purposes set forth in division (C) of this section, detain the person in a reasonable manner for a reasonable length of time within the mercantile establishment or its immediate vicinity.

JLE
Unless they are willing to accuse me of shoplifting (which they declined to do in the OP), then I'd say you can leave. Had the person in the OP not threatened the police or resisted arrest, I suspect things would have gone differently.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

My response when asked for receipt has been,'' If you were standing by the checkout area you would of seen i payed for the items.'' Please don't waste my time. :P
Black Rifles Matter
747tech

Post by 747tech »

I guess I have a different view. I am sure Walmart has an extensive amount of theft. That being said I don’t mind showing them.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

747tech wrote:I guess I have a different view. I am sure Walmart has an extensive amount of theft. That being said I don’t mind showing them.
Papers, please.
MyWifeSaidYes
747tech

Post by 747tech »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
747tech wrote:I guess I have a different view. I am sure Walmart has an extensive amount of theft. That being said I don’t mind showing them.
Papers, please.
I get what you are saying but it’s not the government demanding this it’s a private business. I view it a bit different. It’s for loss prevention and shopping there is not a right.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Papers, please.
Oh come on MWSY, you're a one-man traveling carnival most days. I'm sure store employees notice you from your grand entrance, to finally leaving after three or four curtain calls! :mrgreen:

I get that it's annoying to be stopped and asked to see a receipt, but can't see this is a hill I want to fight over again and again.

If it happened more than say twice in the same store, yes, there's gonna be some harsh words for the store manager. (You know my saying: If you don't like the music, talk to the organ grinder, NOT the @#$&*" monkey!)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Either accuse me of stealing or get out of my way. I've got better things to do than stand here for the kabuki theatre.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Brian D. wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Papers, please.
Oh come on MWSY, you're a one-man traveling carnival most days. I'm sure store employees notice you from your grand entrance, to finally leaving after three or four curtain calls! :mrgreen:

I get that it's annoying to be stopped and asked to see a receipt, but can't see this is a hill I want to fight over again and again.
It doesn't require a fight. I just keep walking. Sometimes I even say "no thanks" and keep walking. Why?

Story 1: On multiple occasions I've watched employees let obvious shoplifters go past because (apparently) they didn't want the hassle of confronting an actual criminal. One of my friends who worked at Walmart for a while (not LP) actually told me that as the reason - he's not gonna get punched or maybe get stabbed over their insured merchandise.

Story 2: My family took a trip to Mammoth Cave in KY. On our way in to a scheduled tour my wife and her sister decided they needed some things from the local Walmart. Fifteen minutes later they hadn't come out. I walked in to find a worker going through their bags because their exit sensor is being set off. They've got their receipt, the employee checked every item against the receipt 3 times by the time I walked in. We were about to be late. It was obvious they weren't stealing anything, but the employee wouldn't let them go because the machine kept beeping. I told her that she'd seen that everything was paid for and to either call the police or we were leaving, and that if she called the police I was going to sue Walmart and her personally for the false report.

I'm not interested in participating in somebody else's dog and pony show.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Back when "reasonable...." was still in force, I was leaving a local big box (they're gone now) I was walking out with a fairly large box, having purchased something or other and a LP kid challenged me. He was very polite, and I'd not noticed the lack of a sticker that he could see. (AARGH!)

I figured it out, and rotated the box so he could see the sticker, and he waved me off with a "sorry".... Figured it was my responsibility to carry the thing so LP could see the sticker. If things had further escalated, it would have been a race for the nearest phone. (Cellphones didn't exist yet.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם