No front license plate required in July 2020

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

No front license plate required in July 2020

Post by rickt »

The state’s new transportation budget will do away with the requirement that Ohioans display a license plate on the front of their cars. That might not sound like a big deal to some but it was for some lawmakers who voted to make that change.

The Ohio Highway Patrol argued in favor of keeping the front license plate. But Republican House Speaker Larry Householder says requiring Ohioans to drill holes in the front of their cars hurts their value.
https://www.statenews.org/post/why-ohio ... ronts-cars
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: No front license plate required in July 2020

Post by WY_Not »

Hybrid and electric cars now also have to pay additional fees upon registration to offset the gas taxes they aren't paying. About time they started paying their fair share. Now to get rid of any remaining tax breaks; let them succeed or fail in the marketplace of ideas based upon their own merits and not government interference and manipulation.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Well that takes all the fun out of it now I guess I will finally be legal in 8 months....
I have not displayed a front plate on any of my vehicles in 15+ years.
BOB
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Why the 14 month delay till this is implemented ? Why not 90 days ?

Will certainly put a dent in photo 'enforcement', so I'm a fan.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Of course I have two big holes drilled into my front bumper to have installed mine a few years back :x . Guess I'll be leaving it....
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bruenor wrote:Why the 14 month delay till this is implemented ? Why not 90 days ?
Probably to burn through all of the pairs of plates they have already ordered...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I was not a fan of the front plate until I experienced drivers blowing by stopped school buses. It is easier to read plates coming at you than the ones moving away from you.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I'm sure BSSA & OSP will try and convince someone to introduce a bill to change it out before July 2020....
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

dustymedic wrote:I'm sure BSSA & OSP will try and convince someone to introduce a bill to change it out before July 2020....
Probably, but I think getting any traction will be a very heavy lift. The current House favored getting rid of it to the point that they did not give ground in conference committee. Thus I think it's doubtful they'd revisit the issue before 2021 at the earliest. Introduce the bill all you want but don't expect it to get committee time.

I suspect most legislators really couldn't care less about the issue. They've been debating it for years. However it plays well with urban Democrats because of the perception that the law is used as a justification for stopping a disproportionate number of minorities. A segment of people in the Cincinnati area felt that the UC police shooting a few years ago didn't have to happen since it all started over no front plate. Plus Cincinnati is surrounded by states that do not require two plates and they're not running double the rate of unsolved crimes as a more insular city like Columbus.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I'm sure OSP will miss having the nice big target on the front for LIDAR....
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

dustymedic wrote:I'm sure OSP will miss having the nice big target on the front for LIDAR....
You mean OSHP! :roll:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

rickt wrote:
The state’s new transportation budget will do away with the requirement that Ohioans display a license plate on the front of their cars. That might not sound like a big deal to some but it was for some lawmakers who voted to make that change.

The Ohio Highway Patrol argued in favor of keeping the front license plate. But Republican House Speaker Larry Householder says requiring Ohioans to drill holes in the front of their cars hurts their value.
https://www.statenews.org/post/why-ohio ... ronts-cars

I wish my lawmakers had asked the OSHP why they only run a unit ID plate on the rear if they think identification from the front is SO important :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).