Pepper Spray Legal ?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WeinerDog

Pepper Spray Legal ?

Post by WeinerDog »

Is it legal to carry pepper spray in Summit County metro parks. I thought perhaps since license holders could carry handguns that spray might be OK.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Pepper Spray Legal ?

Post by JustaShooter »

I am not aware of any Ohio law regulating pepper spray, but I suppose there could be local ordinances. And, your CHL only covers handguns so if there are local ordinances your license wouldn't help.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

See, I couldn’t find anything in the metro park rules, yet when reading on “ Nextdoor “ ( a kind of neighborhood watch blog) Matulivitch from SCSO stated pepper spray was prohibited in metro parks and national parks which seemed to me ridiculous since a licensee can carry a handgun there.
There were nearly 60 comments of people concerned about dog attacks who think they can’t carry pepper spray now. A few did comment that that rule wasn’t fair.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

First of all, we have seen lots of anecdotes on this forum where LEO said ignorant things about Ohio gun laws. So why would we believe what one says about pepper spray, especially if there are no references to back it up?

If pepper spray is illegal in national parks, why does Yellowstone have this article about how select the best bear spray?

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things- ... ay-matters
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Here's what the National Park Service website has to say about bear spray and firearms.
https://www.nps.gov/articles/bearsprayfirearms.htm
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

Just saw on Nextdoor that Matulivitch who is Director of Strategic Media (WTH) has backtracked on the use of pepper spray in parks. Apparently all the questioning caused him to actually research what he was touting. He actually stated that his first post was hearsay.