Totally NOT gun related: CNN idiot

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Totally NOT gun related: CNN idiot

Post by AlanM »

Honest to God you can't make up stuff like this. I just had to share this with my personal protection loving friends.

Oregon man survives off taco sauce while trapped in vehicle with dog for 5 days

Apparently CNN has a copy writer or a newscaster that doesn't understand what snow is made of.
The snow trapped Jeremy R. Taylor, but taco sauce saved his life.

It all began last Sunday when Taylor, along with his dog Ally, went to get gas for his Toyota 4Runner, according to the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office in Bend, Oregon.
Taylor told investigators his SUV got stuck in the snow. He then fell asleep and woke up Monday to even more snow, unable to get out of the vehicle. He tried to walk out Monday, but the snow was too deep and made it hard to walk so he and his dog returned to vehicle, the sheriff's office said.
Over the next few days after initially getting stuck, Taylor told authorities he stayed warm by "periodically starting his vehicle and used a few taco sauce packets he had as food," the sheriff's office said.

Here comes the idiot part:
It is not clear how he, or the dog, got water. A person can live five days without water and six weeks without food, according to the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
djthomas

Re: Totally NOT gun related: CNN idiot

Post by djthomas »

In their defense it seems like they are reporting the story third hand, based on what some sheriff's office told them. At the very bottom it says they reached out to the victim for comment but haven't heard back.

Since the reporter didn't witness it, nor talk to someone else who did they can't assume any missing pieces of the story. What if he had a 24 pack of bottled water in the back? It would be wrong for the reporter to state that the victim melted snow to drink unless he or authorities told the reporter that's what happened.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I hate it when someone comes up with a logical explanation.
:wink:
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

It's still sort of stupid. Water would not be an issue in survival in that situation, so why bring it up. This guy must really have a high metabolism. I can go for weeks without food, but then I have a lot of backup storage.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Ghandi went 21 straight days with no food and only very little water. At 74 years old. And that's less than half of many other documented "hunger strikes."

This guy was hardly at risk of death from starvation after 5 days. Now, exposure might be another issue.

Also, the article notes that "t is not clear how he, or the dog, got water." :roll: :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Not defending CNN regurgi, er, reporting, but, if that's all they ''read into'' the news from now on we best call it a WIN.
Remember; to reporters, all guns are GLocks or AKs.

Based on that, this is substantial upswing in reporting. After all, we can correctly assume dude & dog did in fact get wawa. Thinking ''usually it's crayons'' when the subject is actually using pencils -in an age of pens-...is doing better I guess.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good